Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masuda wrote:

This is an old thread but i checked in to get ideas on why my 2012 rear Small Car E hand brake never held very well. This comment cured that problem. OMG Thanks So Much!

Great job!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

A couple (or more) things are important.
Replace the cables. with a pair of overly long versions (oe part number 441 609 721 D or GEMO 402248). Remove the inner wires and heavily lube them with a compatible grease. Cut the housing to the new required lengths. Reassemble. Cut the inner wire to the new correct length. Throughly degrease the last inch or so and sweg on new stops then solder them in place using acid core solder. Completely clean the flux away when finished.
You are halfway there.
Remove the front cable, clean and relube. Lube the pivot points on the handle assemble. Next is another change. Install the heavy version of the return springs on the calipers. Refer to photographs. The new cables should be supported. An extra heavy duty tie strap works well if not elegantly.
I saved the most important step for last. It is the proper operation which is widely overlooked. When setting the handbrake on this type of caliper the foot brake "MUST BE FIRMLY DEPRESSED WHILE THE HANDBRAKE IS BEING SET"! This applies regardless of make ie Porsche, VW, Ford whatever. This is the most important step period! But like a lot of things these days the automakers have given up on driver training and have automated the parking brake with electric servos that fully apply and release the calipers automatically as called for by an algorithm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I bought burlys kit about 6 years ago.
I'm concidering just dumping it completely for a new GoWesty kit that promises 30% more hand brake force.
Any duplicate parts can go on the spare part shelf I spose but I like the catharsis of tossing into the scrap metal bin too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
A couple (or more) things are important.
Replace the cables. with a pair of overly long versions (oe part number 441 609 721 D or GEMO 402248). Remove the inner wires and heavily lube them with a compatible grease. Cut the housing to the new required lengths. Reassemble. Cut the inner wire to the new correct length. Throughly degrease the last inch or so and sweg on new stops then solder them in place using acid core solder. Completely clean the flux away when finished.
You are halfway there.
Remove the front cable, clean and relube. Lube the pivot points on the handle assemble. Next is another change. Install the heavy version of the return springs on the calipers. Refer to photographs. The new cables should be supported. An extra heavy duty tie strap works well if not elegantly.
I saved the most important step for last. It is the proper operation which is widely overlooked. When setting the handbrake on this type of caliper the foot brake "MUST BE FIRMLY DEPRESSED WHILE THE HANDBRAKE IS BEING SET"! This applies regardless of make ie Porsche, VW, Ford whatever. This is the most important step period! But like a lot of things these days the automakers have given up on driver training and have automated the parking brake with electric servos that fully apply and release the calipers automatically as called for by an algorithm.

[Pix]

Great info!
Do you have any part numbers or source for the HD springs?
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:

Great info!
Thanks!

I am sorry to report that Dan passed away a few weeks ago. His mind and spirit were strong but his aortic valve did not make it to a second transplant. He is missed.

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I bought burlys kit about 6 years ago…….
Any duplicate parts can go on the spare part shelf I spose but I like the catharsis of tossing into the scrap metal bin too.

Yeah that was the same Audi caliper that SmallCar used. The cable actuator mechanism inside was simply no good. The Audi people hated them too. Poor research on SmallCars part, then “oops again” by Burley, which suprises me a little. Burley eventually flushed his Audi kit, offering a T4 kit a couple years ago. Smallcar still offers this Audi kit. https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...brake-kit/

I bought Samba member Jeff’s Jetta brackets ($250) and got some 2006 Jetta calipers and OEM cables from the junkyard ($107). Haven’t bought discs yet (288?).
Jeff says the Jetta calipers look bigger than the T4s. But I haven’t seen T4s. They are much bigger than the Audis. I’ll take pics when I bin the Audis.

Not sure what to do with my SmallCar disc kit. Agreed hucking it into the bin could be cathartic but it would always bug me that some flatlander could use it. The calipers can be painted red and the handle goes clickety-click. Laughing Laughing

PS …….RIP dgbeatty!!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I have Burley’s newest rear disc brake kit for the Western Syncro. It is supposed to have a good parking brake. I’ll report back this spring after the full mechanical rehab.

The Western Syncro build
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
mtnhome wrote:

Great info!
Thanks!

I am sorry to report that Dan passed away a few weeks ago. His mind and spirit were strong but his aortic valve did not make it to a second transplant. He is missed.

I'm sorry to hear this! I hope his friends and family are doing well.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Crankey wrote:
I bought burlys kit about 6 years ago…….

Yeah that was the same Audi caliper that SmallCar used. The cable actuator mechanism inside was simply no good. The Audi people hated them too. Poor research on SmallCars part, then “oops again” by Burley, which suprises me a little. Burley eventually flushed his Audi kit, offering a T4 kit a couple years ago. Smallcar still offers this Audi kit. https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...brake-kit/

I bought Samba member Jeff’s Jetta brackets ($250) and got some 2006 Jetta calipers and OEM cables from the junkyard ($107). Haven’t bought discs yet (288?).
Jeff says the Jetta calipers look bigger than the T4s. But I haven’t seen T4s. They are much bigger than the Audis. I’ll take pics when I bin the Audis.

Not sure what to do with my SmallCar disc kit. Agreed hucking it into the bin could be cathartic but it would always bug me that some flatlander could use it. The calipers can be painted red and the handle goes clickety-click. Laughing Laughing

PS …….RIP dgbeatty!!

That's totally true and I don't like tossing stuff into bins Im usually pulling stuff out of.
I could contact Burley and ask him to sell me just an 'update' kit but I'm concidering rolling this fix into the engine swap and I don't want the folks working on it to deal with a bit of this and a piece of that...just tear it all off and use the complete kit in the box. Well except for the heavy springs dgbeatty is showing there...it never stops does it.🙄
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Admittedly I haven't read this entire thread, but I've found it far easier to install Audi electric rear brakes if you have a rear disc setup. The Audi electric calipers bolt straight up to one mounting hole (if you're running A3 - and I suspect A4 discs) and only need a small bracket fabbed up to attach to the other mounting hole. Brake line fittings are identical VW-to-Audi.

Then instead of fighting with cables and adjusters and springs, it just requires a wire to a momentary switch on the dash - hold that switch down and the e-brake locks right up. Brush the switch gently and you can set the pressure on the rear brakes by feel.

If you're running 14 inch rims, the Audi calipers need to have about 1/8" ground off the 'hump' at the back of them to clear the rim. Very simple to install and can be done in less than a day - IF you already have rear discs, of course.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I ask him to sell me just an 'update' kit
That's an interesting idea.... Wink

leecat wrote:
Admittedly I haven't read this entire thread,......
instead of fighting with cables and adjusters and springs,

If you do read it you will find members throwing cables at the problem and nobody showing the parking brake holding (well). An electric actuator would be the same as a "new cable". Ho help at all when the internal caliper mechanism doesn't work.

Electric would be nice for a street van, you could delete the pull-handle from the floor!
I wouldn't use electric for off-roady use.
I want to feel and modulate the cable tension manually (for different(ial) reasons Wink ).
Provided it actually brakes the wheel...... Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
An electric actuator would be the same as a "new cable".

not even close.

the electric parking brakes with the motor on the caliper is like a screw jack and if left unregulated (by the lack of a PBM or parking brake module) will blow the gear reduction in the motor assy to oblivion

i may or may not have thrown the switch on a '19 XC90 doing 60mph. it may or may not have locked both wheels and left 2 dark skid marks on the pavement resulting in flat spots on the tires. a XC90 weighs 4400lbs

if i were to go disks in the rear, electric parking brakes would be the way i would go. i've worked with them long enough now to know they are far superior to cable actuated calipers.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Sodo wrote:
An electric actuator would be the same as a "new cable".

not even close.

the electric parking brakes with the motor on the caliper is like a screw jack and if left unregulated (by the lack of a PBM or parking brake module) will blow the gear reduction in the motor assy to oblivion

OK so that's changing to a different caliper, not just pulling harder on an Audi-200 caliper.
I tried increasing the holding force by lengthening the lever-arm.
All it did was overcome the auto adjust, (slipping inside).
Then you have to pull the brake again repeatedly to re-adjust.

I doubt there is any force that can make the Audi 200 caliper hold a 5,000 lb van. Maybe an empty 2wd tintop...

All neither here nor there - as the Audi200 brake is a serious downgrade for a Van.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i may or may not have thrown the switch on a '19 XC90 doing 60mph. it may or may not have locked both wheels and left 2 dark skid marks on the pavement resulting in flat spots on the tires. a XC90 weighs 4400lbs

if i were to go disks in the rear, electric parking brakes would be the way i would go. i've worked with them long enough now to know they are far superior to cable actuated calipers.

I agree there are cars where on/off parking brake could be OK.
But not for me, my preference is manual control of gearbox/clutch/brakes. Wink

You are saying the Volvo's electric parking brake locks the rear wheels at speed, overcoming the AWD too?
Interesting.
Dunno what the torque split controls are capable of but I would expect that the traction control system wouldn't allow anything (electric) to lock wheels.
These are just my un-educated assumptions.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

In the rainy winter, on a hill waiting on a light I've definitely needed the hand brake to guarantee no back roll as I engage the clutch because the guy behind me was too close for comfort.
Can electric park brake do that ? Or are they just on/off with a button ? I've never had those before..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

You are saying the Volvo's electric parking brake locks the rear wheels at speed, overcoming the AWD too?
Interesting.
Dunno what the torque split controls are capable of but I would expect that the traction control system wouldn't allow anything (electric) to lock wheels.
These are just my un-educated assumptions.

what i'm saying is with the right fuses pulled you can make cars do shit they were never suppose to do Very Happy

i get your point about staying mechanical but here in New England any VAG cable operated caliper has a very short life span and have always been poor in holding power...even on the cars they were designed for

i have only replaced 1 electronic caliper and it was due to accident damage. i have never had an issue with one since they got popular about 15 years ago or so.

cable operated.... seem to need cables and calipers about every 6 years here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Suspension and underbody stuff just doesn't rust out here in the PNW, like it does in the rustbelt or Europe. That's a moot point.

Just use '01-'03 T4 rear brakes, and be done with it. They're proven to work great on similarly sized and weight rigs

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Suspension and underbody stuff just doesn't rust out here in the PNW, like it does in the rustbelt or Europe. That's a moot point.

Hah! Easy for you to say.

The Western Syncro build
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Believe me, my specialties are Transporters and MB 124s; both of which are known to rust from the bottom up in other markets. They just simply don't here in the PNW. Both will rust around the window perimeters and along the body seams, but that's it. I currently have a '73 Super Beetle here with intact original pans and front frame horn. The only rust is in the rear half moon ventilation ducts. That's virtually unheard of in most other Northern hemisphere markets.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

The Jetta cables that I got at the junkyard were 2006 and are in perfect condition.
Very nice OEM quality.
I will try to grease them.

Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The Jetta cables that I got at the junkyard were 2006 and are in perfect condition.
Very nice OEM quality.
I will try to grease them.

FYI - Those Jetta Calipers are nearly identical to the T4 calipers except for the caliper bracket, same sized piston, but mount forward instead of behind the axle, but I believe the Jetta Brake Pad is slightly larger. Also, those Brackets you got from Jeff do fit the T4 Calipers, so they really offer great options. And give you the ability to use either of the Eurovan T4 rotors depending on if you have 15 or 16" wheels (280mm or 294mm). Really nice bracket he designed. I also like how the Jetta calipers use the same brake cable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: