Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
midwestOutreach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Here's the idea:
I want to drive across the country on my third trip with a motorcycle carrier mounted to a hitch on my Eurovan.

I currently have a hitch that's mounted to the frame with a 2' receiver, assuming its a class 3 spec.

The motorcycle: BMW R80 1985, stripped fairings, around 350lbs
The carrier: Black Widow SMC-600R, up to 600lb capacity

The dilemma: Tongue weight.
Motorcycle plus the carrier will weight in the vicinity of 400-450lbs. CURT 13217 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch has a tongue rate of 400lbs.

Obviously I want to stay safe and not endanger anyone on the road. Is there anything you recommend to accomplish my goal or can you draw on your experience to enlighten me.

I've had a few people recommend I reinforce the hitch, some said its fine as the manufacturer's overestimates, etc.. But then again, I don't want to endanger anyone.

Example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will be lifting the rear 1.5'' with spacers from cavevan:
https://cavevan.myshopify.com/products/eurovan-lift-spacers

• 90 Vanagon
  • 03 Discovery

Last edited by midwestOutreach on Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Take 100 pounds load off the hitch with three ratchetingstraps picking up the edge of the tailgate. Estimate the tension by adding 100 pounds to the empty tailgate and seeing how much it deflects,then tension the straps the same amount, opposite direction
midwestOutreach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Take 100 pounds load off the hitch with three ratchetingstraps picking up the edge of the tailgate. Estimate the tension by adding 100 pounds to the empty tailgate and seeing how much it deflects,then tension the straps the same amount, opposite direction

Any chance you're you able to provide some sort of illustration? I am having a hard time understanding what you mean. A bit inexperienced.

• 90 Vanagon
  • 03 Discovery
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

midwestOutreach wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Any chance you're you able to provide some sort of illustration? I am having a hard time understanding what you mean. A bit inexperienced.

Think of a strap attached bike rack that hangs on the top lip of the rear hatch

Just run the same straps down to the rack and ease some of the weight off the trailer hitch.
midwestOutreach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
midwestOutreach wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Think of a strap attached bike rack that hangs on the top lip of the rear hatch

Just run the same straps down to the rack and ease some of the weight off the trailer hitch.

Gotcha! Thanks for the insight.

I'll update the post with pics of the bike and carrier.

Thinking about adding extra support to the hitch at a welding place to support the tongue weight.

• 90 Vanagon
  • 03 Discovery
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

It’s probably not the hitch support that determines the tongue weight, it’s the hitch attach points , both on the hitch and on the car

Guessing at that , but that’s the case on my T4 I run a heavy tow load .
M-BOB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

I carry my CRF450X with a Kurt class 3 hitch and I feel that my bike at 270 pounds of weight, is borderline. I have heavy duty springs at the rear. I also had to add a riser because it was to low. I cutted the carrier a bit in order to not multiply weight because of added lenght with the riser.

Before, I had a class 2 hitch with a 2 in receiver and it failed (bended).

Now it does the job but it has a tendency to wander a bit and the steering axle feel very light but I still prefer it over a trailer.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Any news on this front. I have a possible trip coming up that will require me to "trailer" my bike for about 8 hours each way. I am considering using my hitch hauler instead of my truck. Would be nice to break up the drive and sleep in the van. Bike is about 320lbs and hitch hauler no more than 50.

I had been planning on adding air bags to the rear, but have not got around to it.r

Anyone have some experiences they would like to share.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a one wheel bike tow dolly? It seems like it would solve the tongue weight issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284151783022

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Well initial test went well. I can see why a riser would be nice. Handle bar is really close to the back glass. never got up to highway speeds on the test drive.

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

SO what is the tongue rating of the Eurovan? Is it different for the LWB EVC vs the short? THis number is not readily published. I have seen the 200lb # floating around. This seems very light. Those pictures of other vans carrying a moto suggest that it is more.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

I think the tongue weight is dependent on the hitch being used. The Curt Class III hitch on my van is rated at 400lbs tongue weight.

y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think the tongue weight is dependent on the hitch being used. The Curt Class III hitch on my van is rated at 400lbs tongue weight.

hitch rating and vehicle rating are 2 different things. MY hitch is also a 400lber. BUt not sure what the frame can handle.

A few post ago you mention the 1 wheel carrier. I am not a fan for a few reasons. 1-Wear on bike. Tires bearings...you should really remove the chain so that you do not wear the trans components of your bike. THis adds more work to prep and things that can go wrong. I typically run a rivited chain so not easy to grind off a rivit and repress. 2-backing up. I assume they back up like a small trailer. Which sucks on a road trip, If I was going to have to deal with that I would just drag a trailer, and eliminate issue #1.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

If I get another bike it will be a BMW with shaft drive, so no chain problems. Way too heavy to load onto a rear carrier, it's either the one wheel or a trailer approach for me. I wonder what backing up would be like with a one wheel. That would be the clincher for me.

y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If I get another bike it will be a BMW with shaft drive, so no chain problems. Way too heavy to load onto a rear carrier, it's either the one wheel or a trailer approach for me. I wonder what backing up would be like with a one wheel. That would be the clincher for me.

With the history of final drive failures on BMWs, I would be hesitant to drag one too far. Trailer would be the way to go. The "rail" type MC trailer would be ideal as they are small to store.

Am curious about backing up a one wheel carrier. Assume the steering tube would pivot similar to a ball hitch. From my experience with trailers, the smaller the trailer the harder it is to back up.

I hate driving my bike to ride, and avoid it if I can. But I started riding with some friends that live all over the state and like to hit far away destinations. Riding my little thumper to some would be an adventure in itself.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

Hmmm...that's the first I've heard of final drive failures. I had tens of thousands of miles on my two old R-bikes, and nary an issue. I had a front wheel bearing die in Oregon on my way down to Louisiana. I think I'd be more worried about the bike having a tire blow out while being towed.

y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

midwestOutreach wrote:
Here's the idea:
I want to drive across the country on my third trip with a motorcycle carrier mounted to a hitch on my Eurovan.

I currently have a hitch that's mounted to the frame with a 2' receiver, assuming its a class 3 spec.

The motorcycle: BMW R80 1985, stripped fairings, around 350lbs
The carrier: Black Widow SMC-600R, up to 600lb capacity

The dilemma: Tongue weight.
Motorcycle plus the carrier will weight in the vicinity of 400-450lbs. CURT 13217 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch has a tongue rate of 400lbs.

Obviously I want to stay safe and not endanger anyone on the road. Is there anything you recommend to accomplish my goal or can you draw on your experience to enlighten me.

I've had a few people recommend I reinforce the hitch, some said its fine as the manufacturer's overestimates, etc.. But then again, I don't want to endanger anyone.

Example:

Will be lifting the rear 1.5'' with spacers from cavevan:
https://cavevan.myshopify.com/products/eurovan-lift-spacers

M-BOB wrote:
I carry my CRF450X with a Kurt class 3 hitch and I feel that my bike at 270 pounds of weight, is borderline. I have heavy duty springs at the rear. I also had to add a riser because it was to low. I cutted the carrier a bit in order to not multiply weight because of added lenght with the riser.

Before, I had a class 2 hitch with a 2 in receiver and it failed (bended).

Now it does the job but it has a tendency to wander a bit and the steering axle feel very light but I still prefer it over a trailer.

Good luck.

Thought the 2 posters might not frequent this site enough to catch my inquiry. Quoting to send notification/alert.
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

I don't have anything very constructive to add but I thought I'd share a couple of motorcycle/EVC photos.
I put a fairly large motorcycle on my hitch carrier but only for about 120 miles. It worked fine but I was obviously pushing the envelope a little.
When I drove it across the country, I put the bike inside the van.

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

jonathannickel wrote:
I don't have anything very constructive to add but I thought I'd share a couple of motorcycle/EVC photos.
I put a fairly large motorcycle on my hitch carrier but only for about 120 miles. It worked fine but I was obviously pushing the envelope a little.
When I drove it across the country, I put the bike inside the van.

Is that the KTM 1090? If so that bike is over 500 pounds. Thank you for this bit of input. I am going to move forward with hauling my bike on a hitch carrier. You post make me feel better about doing so. I am in the process of buying new shocks and a rear airbag to help with the load.

What hitch are you running? THe Curt one with the bolt on side plate?
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Carrier: Input needed Reply with quote

I'm not sure which hitch it is. GoWesty put it on for me. It's pretty beefy.
The bike is an 1190S, which is certainly a bit over 500 lbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: