Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
49vwsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

I just received a set of 36hp - 76.95/77mm P&C from CIP1. Using my telescopic bore gauge, I measured all 4 cylinder and then extracted those measurement using my micrometer. The mic was zeroed in 20C (68F) garage temperature.

The manual states the nominal size of the cylinders should be:
76.990 (3.0311) to 76.999 (3.0315)

The AA cylinders are all:
77.015 (3.0321) to 77.020 (3.0323)

Isn't the wear limit of cylinders 0.1mm (.004)?

Right after, I measured another set of NOS cylinders I got from a Samba member that all measured right in at 76.993 (3.0312). Should I return the AA's?
Driver: It's OK officer, I don't wear glasses..I have contacts.
Officer: I don't care WHO you know!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

Did you measure the piston to bore clearance? maybe the pistons are equally oversize.

Roland
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

Also check for out of round, spec is with in .0004
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

Better to be .001 oversize then out of round .001
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

if the pistons are larger to match I would run it, if not I'm not so sure I would be happy with that.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
49vwsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Did you measure the piston to bore clearance? maybe the pistons are equally oversize.

Roland

BINGO, it was that the pistons were oversized as you suggested. Since the cylinders measured slightly over, all is good and the overall measurements are well within spec.
Driver: It's OK officer, I don't wear glasses..I have contacts.
Officer: I don't care WHO you know!!
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: AA Cylinder Bore Dimensions Reply with quote

too often the cylinder are bigger than needed and pistons are smaller than stamping. it's better to purchase more sets then mixing the parts to get better tolerances. sometimes good used barrel are smaller than new AA and can solve problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: