Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When a warranty is not what it says
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Like many have experienced, I had cause to return a battery within the 2 year replacement warranty period. I have had to do this several times throughout the years, and IIRC, it was always a straight swap.So the clerk at Wmart says "that'll be $23.27 please", while explaining that the price went up and I am getting credit for the original price against today's cost, and therefore owe the difference.
Either I am getting forgetful or I am getting screwed-----not sure which. But it felt wrong.
So am I just forgetting or is this a new ploy?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

I would've laughed at them and asked for the manager.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

I can understand their logic. They give you a 100% credit toward the purchase of a replacement. That way if you want to get a larger battery you have the option of paying more.

Or it's like the airlines charging you for checked bags, early boarding and snacks.

I bet if you read the fine print it says they can add fees.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

And I don't need fine print to learn I would never go back to that retailer again.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
And I don't need fine print to learn I would never go back to that retailer again.

Really ???? Just one bad experience at Malwart and you want to break it off in them ?????
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Send it back to stan along with your rams psl's.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Don't know what IIRC is but you're getting a new battery for $23.27...even though it is a Walmart battery.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
.even though it is a Walmart battery.

Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls/Clarios, who makes like 85% of the batteries in USA, including Interstate, Costco, Autozone, O'Reilly....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

I can't bad mouth Walmart at all. Last year I ordered a pair of tires online. A couple of days later I got an e-mail, my tire was in at the store. I went down and customer service said it was back in drive up pick-up. The other one was shipped from another location. I walked back to the back of the store for the tire and the girl there said it had been taken to automotive. I go to automotive and there is one tire. On the way to the front of the store the girl from pick-up catches me with the other tire. I sign both copies of received paperwork and head out. The next day I get an e-mail telling me my other tire is at the store. I call and tell them the story from the day before and we both laugh at how screwed up online sales are in these crazy days. Three days later I get a message that Walmart is refunding me for the lost tire. Before I could call about all this I get a "How would you rate your shopping experience at Walmart?" There is an 800 number, so I call. Jemal and I laugh about how screwed up all this is and in the end, he tells me to forget about the whole thing. The cost of the tire is already more than made up by all the time trying to straightening this out. "Thank you for shopping at Walmart". Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

I would ask to see the particular piece of small print covering the replacement cost. I've never known this to happen when replacing anything under warranty.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
I can't bad mouth Walmart at all. Last year I ordered a pair of tires online. A couple of days later I got an e-mail, my tire was in at the store. I went down and customer service said it was back in drive up pick-up. The other one was shipped from another location. I walked back to the back of the store for the tire and the girl there said it had been taken to automotive. I go to automotive and there is one tire. On the way to the front of the store the girl from pick-up catches me with the other tire. I sign both copies of received paperwork and head out. The next day I get an e-mail telling me my other tire is at the store. I call and tell them the story from the day before and we both laugh at how screwed up online sales are in these crazy days. Three days later I get a message that Walmart is refunding me for the lost tire. Before I could call about all this I get a "How would you rate your shopping experience at Walmart?" There is an 800 number, so I call. Jemal and I laugh about how screwed up all this is and in the end, he tells me to forget about the whole thing. The cost of the tire is already more than made up by all the time trying to straightening this out. "Thank you for shopping at Walmart". Rolling Eyes

Such a heartwarming story on a cold January day. Very Happy
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

I admit there was no receipt, but the battery was a exact replacement and had a sticker showing it was 19 months old. I use Waly batteries because I can replace them easily, anywhere. I'm at the age where I just anticipate bullshit ahead of time and weigh whether it's best to walk ,balk, or just bite the bullet. Sometimes it's not worth the aggravation.
The world isn't changing really fast, it's reality being so obviously exposed for what it really is.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Every time I’m tempted to go to a bid box I play “Little Man” and then go visit one of the people who built the community I enjoy.

Most battery warranty’s are prorated in some form or other. I’ve never had to replace one on warranty but I use trickle chargers on all my cars in winter
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

About 3 months ago, I had a 34-month-old Walmart battery with a 36-month replacement warranty. My 1988 Mazda truck was having intermittent "no crank" situation, and the ignition switch tested fine, so I figured why not get a new battery. Was zero trouble/hassle, and I didn't pay a penny.

By the way: the issue turned out to be bad contact between some of the grounding spots and the negative cable (on engine and frame), just needed good sanding and cleaning.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Much of getting the desired outcome depends on how you relate to the person behind the counter. I’m not saying you need to be a door mat but if you come off as pleasant they might be more inclined to work with you.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
I admit there was no receipt, but the battery was a exact replacement and had a sticker showing it was 19 months old. I use Waly batteries because I can replace them easily, anywhere. I'm at the age where I just anticipate bullshit ahead of time and weigh whether it's best to walk ,balk, or just bite the bullet. Sometimes it's not worth the aggravation.
The world isn't changing really fast, it's reality being so obviously exposed for what it really is.

I think Les Schwab does this (depreciating value within warranty thing). I've also learned that having a receipt doesn't necessarily matter as LS goes by the date sticker on the battery itself. So if your battery sticker is already "months old" when installed, then you're outta luck when you take it back for an issue under the date on your receipt but aged out on the battery itself (our battery problems were travel trailer related). So I now check the stickers on the battery when installed.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Tires, Batteries, etc anything on the car with one of those warranties I generally keep in the glove box just in case. That way if I show up at another location and need to swap it I have it ready.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

First of all F-Walmart. If you shop at Walmart you are part of the problem.

Don't buy a battery at Advanced Auto. They are independently owned franchises, their computers do not talk to each other. If you are on the other side of the country and your battery fails, the advance auto you go to cannot look it up. They have to call the original store you bought the battery from to get the ok to warranty it out. Big mistake, never again.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Tires, Batteries, etc anything on the car with one of those warranties I generally keep in the glove box just in case. That way if I show up at another location and need to swap it I have it ready.

yep, keep it old school
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: When a warranty is not what it says Reply with quote

It probably would have helped if you had been wearing your pajamas when you went in there!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: