Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

hi from germany.

some days ago my friend wolfgang shows me a lowlight offer at german market place. it is a lowlight from a famous german car racer, from German Demokratic Republik, called GDR or DDR

here the offer:
https://www.chromecars.de/showroom/1959-vw-karmann-ghia-158/

in 2018 at Bremen Classic Motorshow the offer the car and i have made some pics. enjoy the low............

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

Very cool. It’s originally Aerosilver looks like…no pictures of the engine, I wonder since he was race car driver if the engine had any modifications. Great photos, thanks Udo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

Yep a cool history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_von_Brauchitsch
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

Yes, Aerosilver 59. What's with the Karmann badge screwed to the left fender? Looks like the recessed area is filled in on right fender. Are there really only 7 Golde Sunroof Lowlights?

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

You would think he would’ve kept it Aerosilver…since he drove a sliver arrow…great story.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

Awesome car! It's amazing that it still exists! With all of that bondo and rust, I bet it would be one heck of a restoration project.
1964 Chop Top
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

40k us for a ghia sculpted out of bondo what are lowlights going for that would make this worthwhile?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:
40k us for a ghia sculpted out of bondo what are lowlights going for that would make this worthwhile?

X2
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:

Celebrity sells.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
ghianowbug wrote:

Celebrity sells.

John, I have to agree with you on that. But I believe where you and I might disagree is in the definition of celebrity. I just dont believe a clapped out Ghia with a 1930s team member of Mercedes has the kind of celebrity status you speak of. This might be one of seven Golde sunroofs.....but it is only about 7% metal and really the rest is filler, rust and for $40,000 USD......now maybe your Ghia.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
ghianowbug wrote:

Celebrity sells.

John, I have to agree with you on that. But I believe where you and I might disagree is in the definition of celebrity. I just dont believe a clapped out Ghia with a 1930s team member of Mercedes has the kind of celebrity status you speak of. This might be one of seven Golde sunroofs.....but it is only about 7% metal and really the rest is filler, rust and for $40,000 USD......now maybe your Ghia.

Yep...my comment was from someone who doesn't ascribe to the "Celebrity Culture." Having said that the owner is marketing his tired Ghia as something special and I suppose, as you say for most Ghia fans an original steel Golde sunroof does make it one of only a handful of Ghias. I had to Google Manfred von Brauchitsch. Very Happy
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

“I had to Google Manfred von Brauchitsch.”

Indeed the car is a mess and overpriced…but when a race car driver chooses a VW Karmann Ghia after racing a Mercedes, there is something special going on. Makes me wonder if Luigi Segre owned a Lowlight, the car of his own design, and if he did, where is that car now?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
“I had to Google Manfred von Brauchitsch.”

Indeed the car is a mess and overpriced…but when a race car driver chooses a VW Karmann Ghia after racing a Mercedes, there is something special going on. Makes me wonder if Luigi Segre owned a Lowlight, the car of his own design, and if he did, where is that car now?

Ah yes now Luigi Segre would be a real celebrity. Very Happy
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

Celebrity status is somewhat relative.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

ghianowbug wrote:

the golde sunroof goes a long way (prob not the whole way) to justify the price
2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: some lowlight pics about a vip car from GDR with golde roof Reply with quote

itsawesty wrote:
ghianowbug wrote:

the golde sunroof goes a long way (prob not the whole way) to justify the price

Very difficult to quantify a rare feature because every Ghia is unique in its own way. It just depends on how much the prospective buyer wants the rare feature being offered. When I was looking for a Ghia I was chasing a Golde sunroof Ghia here in the UK. I didn't get it as I obviously wasn't prepared to match the asking price but that was a long time ago.

Today I have my unique Ghia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: