Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BAT Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-volkswagen-transporter-panel-van/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one says Porsche on it.

Writing Porsche on the side of a new paint Bus, is my reason for skewering this particular one.

Is the buyer getting a Bus, or a shoddy Porsche billboard?
Spaz2644
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

To each their own. Mattel has a model you can build of the same. Complete with the stickers. Hot wheels also came out in 2021 with the same and a scale electric slot car. All red with Porsche logos etc. The local Porsche dealer here used a VW panel for deliveries for years. Very common paint scheme in all honesty. Not my cuppa either.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Spaz2644 wrote:
I thought I was on a Corvette forum for a minute there!!! The seller doesn’t appear to be hiding anything. When did you guys get to be such a tough crowd?? It is what it is and should sell accordingly.

I must be on some kinda BAT black list. But I never bought (or sold) a vehicle there, so they might measure freedom of speech with dollars spent.
So BAT never even published what I wrote.
Agreeing with both Braukuche and Lind, I think it is a solid vehicle. The red paint? Lipstick on a pig? At least lipstick on a frump.
But my main gripe is that there is no driving video, and the motor installation is completed so poorly that the buyer will be very disappointed. I think a few dollars, like $1000, spent properly preparing it might result in a video of it driving nicely in traffic.
I had such a situation in my own town.A guy calls me out of the blue. He came here a couple years ago and bought a family business and has done well with it. He recently bought a tarted up 1965ish 21 window, bus. Near $100k, I'd guess. He says he absolutely cannot ride in it, it rides so rough. He took it to 3 places that would not touch it, but the last guy says: Have Al Brase do it. I no longer fix cars for others. I have a lot of my own and not so many good days and years left. But I might go look at it and give him a list of what work to have done. Most likely stock Boge/ F&S shocks will be major improvement over any "California Bolt-on" stuff.
but my point with this red one: Just spend a few dollars to get it right, and it will come back to you 3 times in a higher bid.
I don't hate the car at all. I'd probably rattle can it white, tho.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Spaz2644 wrote:
I thought I was on a Corvette forum for a minute there!!! The seller doesn’t appear to be hiding anything. When did you guys get to be such a tough crowd?? It is what it is and should sell accordingly.

BAT has very specific commenting rules to keep their bidders and sellers looking through rose-colored monitors. The Samba does not hold back any punches. You want to know the ugly details? You come here. You want to sort them out? The Samba will help.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Spaz2644 wrote:

BAT wrote:
Each auction has a comment thread where the BaT community discusses the vehicle and asks the seller questions. Sellers are encouraged to be active participants in the comments section—answering questions and engaging with the community increases bidder confidence.

BAT has a public forum for a reason, so that most anybody can post their observations, good bad or otherwise. Buyers can read the comments or not, and judge the validity and relevance of the comments. If you want auctions where people only say good things, you can look at cars on every other auction in the world and be less informed of the vehicle for sale.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
Spaz2644 wrote:

BAT has very specific commenting rules to keep their bidders and sellers looking through rose-colored monitors. The Samba does not hold back any punches. You want to know the ugly details? You come here. You want to sort them out? The Samba will help.

Rose colored monitors indeed. You'd think they might have a bit more interest in TRUE comments. Over the long term, Brokers do not win when buyers get swindled.
They are VERY CLOSE to having fiduciary liability with their auctions. You'd think not limiting negatives would give them more deniability.
Pretty sure MECUM swallowed the bullet on that fraudulent 23 window discussed here a few years back. Somebody gave the buyer ALL his money back, the state seized the bus.
Vanagons:
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Spaz2644 wrote:
I thought I was on a "Corvette" forum for a minute there!!! The seller doesn’t appear to be hiding anything. When did you guys get to be such a tough crowd?? It is what it is and should sell accordingly.

You spelled "Porsche" wrong!!

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-bus-20/

Originally a 13 window.

Quote:
The M-plate provides the following information:

26 1: January 26, 1965 planned production date
425: North American equipment
130: Deluxe Microbus without sunroof
081: Split front seats
002: Sealed-beam headlights
2412: Microbus Deluxe, eight-seater, cargo doors right, full middle seat, left-hand drive
5096253: Shortened chassis number

Link

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

WRT the 13 turned 21>
Well this is what happens if you tell the shop: just do it. Send me the bill. Quick mental adding says the body and paint were $61k.
I guess, for some a 130hp 21 window bus with white wall tires and shiny paint and no defrost/ heat might make sense.
Not me.
As Clara used to say "I can't drive 55" is actually more to my speed.
Vanagons:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Erik G wrote:
functional carb? what?

Seriously other than the red paint and blocking the holes in the rear tin I think yall are way over reacting. Looks like a standard 1500-1600sp with a 30/31 carb and a 009 to me. Heat risers are even hooked to the intake manifold.

the bus is shit but some of you just repeat nonsense without knowing what you're talking about

It would likely run just fine after a little warm up, it's just ugly and missing details. I have driven worse in Idaho weather with decent results.

I guess that is my point.

Not sure what Sled is referring to. Someone even called it a 34pict carb - it's not. And then someone else picked up on that and added the carb and the distributor don't match... Rolling Eyes That is the part I was referring to when I stated "repeat nonsense without knowing what you're talking about" - I know Sled isn't one of those but this page will have people believe a 009 is undriveable and on a bus especially I do not find that to be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Sold for $65,000!!?? That's some serious buyers remorse. Most expensive Panel ever sold?

Split 66' wrote:

This one says Porsche on it.

DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Re: the fake 21 - The startup vid shows no functioning oil warning light at key "on". I guess BAT buyers can afford to just blow the engine and start over.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Sold for $65,000!!?? That's some serious buyers remorse. Most expensive Panel ever sold?
Split 66' wrote:

No.
Several panels have sold for more than that. The difference is that the others were worth more than that bus. There is another world where these cars change hands outside of auctions. The general public doesn't always get a chance to buy the best and most valuable cars.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

No.
Several panels have sold for more than that. The difference is that the others were worth more than that bus. There is another world where these cars change hands outside of auctions. The general public doesn't always get a chance to buy the best and most valuable cars.

Now I'm curious, what's the most you've seen someone spend for a Bus, without all those horrible windows and obnoxious ventilation?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
No.
Now I'm curious, what's the most you've seen someone spend for a Bus, without all those horrible windows and obnoxious ventilation?
I know of panels that have sold for six figures.
I personally have spent more on a panelvan than what that one sold for.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
No.

Were these expensive panels all pre-64?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
No.
Pre-'55
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

65K is insane for that bus. I honestly wouldn't buy it period but damn
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Erik G wrote:
functional carb? what?

Seriously other than the red paint and blocking the holes in the rear tin I think yall are way over reacting. Looks like a standard 1500-1600sp with a 30/31 carb and a 009 to me. Heat risers are even hooked to the intake manifold.

the bus is shit but some of you just repeat nonsense without knowing what you're talking about

It would likely run just fine after a little warm up, it's just ugly and missing details. I have driven worse in Idaho weather with decent results.

I guess that is my point.

Not sure what Sled is referring to. Someone even called it a 34pict carb - it's not. And then someone else picked up on that and added the carb and the distributor don't match... Rolling Eyes That is the part I was referring to when I stated "repeat nonsense without knowing what you're talking about" - I know Sled isn't one of those but this page will have people believe a 009 is undriveable and on a bus especially I do not find that to be the case.

That would be me. And I later put together that of course it's NOT a 34PICT because how would that bolt to a single port manifold? (bigger base on a 34 than the 30/31.)
But I'll stand by some of what I said. It is not NEARLY as well functioning as what it came equipped with brand new.
My experience with using a 009 on perhaps a dozen different VW air cooled engines was IT WAS ALWAYS WORSE PERFORMING. Sort of a LIMP HOME fix.
AND: preheated air always helped a lot.
AND: heat riser, together with the proper muffler/ header connections is ABSOLUTELY necessary.
True, I don't live in the desert, but rather the very humid midwest, where carbs will ice on a 50 degree day at 90% humidity.
It's not a question of what I can make work. I have a lot of experience at driving basket cases.
I'm talking about it driving RIGHT. Driving BRILLIANTLY.
I think if I spent $65k on a tarted up panel I'd expect it to drive brilliantly.
Where was the driving video?
Vanagons:
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BAT Buses Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Lind wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
Split 66' wrote:
No.
Pre-'55

Pre-'55 has historical value, I can understand that.

But was this the most expensive 64-67 Panel anyone has yet seen?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 48

Jump to: