Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

[1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi pals, so my 1971 squareback has been having some running issues, I'm pretty sure I nailed it down to a burnt up exhaust valve seat on cylinder #3, the rocker adjustment kept loosing clearance and it quickly kept coming out of adjustment until it lost a full turn in one day. I was also experiencing a significant power loss even when re-tuning the engine the best I could and I just kept steadily loosing top end speed and acceleration. Given that this has been my daily driver for almost four years, I can maybe assume it's time to put her out of commission and replace the cylinder heads.

I was thinking of purchasing a pair of the ACN stocker plus from aircooled.net
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Stocker-Plus-Dual...m?CartID=1

Before I did though, does anyone have experience with them? I like the sound of 15-20% flow increase and all but I'm just looking for a stock bolt-on replacement. I have an automatic as well so I want to make sure they wont throw off the vacuum signal or anything. Running duel port heads with duel solex pdsit3's with a stock air cleaner, heat exchangers, and everything else about the engine is stock from it's fuel injection days as far as I know, even down to the original FI distributor. I also wanted to know which pushrods I should get, I kind of want to stay with aluminum so I don't have to worry about zero valve lash with steel. I'm still kind of learning everything as I go but want to get the best quality parts. Any and all advice is appreciated!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Whatever heads you choose, inspect them carefully for excess casting flash. Many block so much air they will cook under normal driving. You may have to spend a day with a long dremel tool to clean them up.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Take your heads to your local machine shop for a valve grind and new exhaust valves etc. They can measure/machine/balance your engine too.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Braeska wrote:
The rocker adjustment kept loosing clearance and it quickly kept coming out of adjustment until it lost a full turn in one day.

Was the adjusting screw / locknut still tight when you checked for clearance? When you loose valve lash clearance, one of two things is usually happening.

1. The valve seat is being pounded into the head.
2. The valve is stretching.

If everything is correct in your valve adjustment method, and no loose locknut, to lose this much clearance in a day point towards valve stretch / deformation. I would not even start this engine, because the next time that you do, the valve could break, which not only will put a hole in the engine, but a much larger hole in your wallet. If you are doing the work yourself, manually push it to where you are going to work on it. If the car must be moved to another location, either call a tow truck and make sure they lift the back when towing (automatic transmission), or pull the pushrod out and drive it on 3 cylinders - Good Luck
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Was the adjusting screw / locknut still tight when you checked for clearance?

Yes I kept making sure it wasn't coming loose and sure enough that nut was tight each time.

Multi69s wrote:
I would not even start this engine, because the next time that you do, the valve could break, which not only will put a hole in the engine, but a much larger hole in your wallet.

Yep, I got her parked ever since I lost that clearance, she was kind enough to get me home! I'm too scared to start it up now cause I was worried I'd launch a piece of valve or valve seat into that piston.

Multi69s wrote:
- Good Luck

Thanks! I'll need it
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Take your heads to your local machine shop for a valve grind and new exhaust valves etc. They can measure/machine/balance your engine too.

+1 here please do the environment a favor and just have the work that VW did oh those many years ago rehoned. Hell if it is not a valve seat replacement it should not cost much at all. A good shop will even swap you a rebuilt one for your core for like 150i$h ''ltic'' if it needs to much work then it will become there headache. Lots of routs to take that do not end at ACN with a crappy head from them.
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: [1971 AT Squareback] Cylinder Head Replacement Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi guys, wanted to revive this for a few more questions and to give an update. (This might turn into a rebuild thread)

I wanted to take the advice of saving the environment and planned on taking my heads to get them remachined, but upon disassembly I found that a valve seat was completely loose and had fallen out. Not to mention a sizeable crack in the head between valves. Crying or Very sad I went with the next best thing and purchased a set of good type 3 head cores here from the samba and plan to take these to a machine shop and have them rebuilt and lapped.

I figured with the engine out I would do a complete disassembly and rebuild per the Bentley manual on my weekends. Glad I did since I discovered two cracked pistons and broken cylinder fins. Decided to purchase a new set of stock Morisa cylinders, pistons, and rings. The ones from Mexico I guess.

Now that I have the crankcase split at my mechanics shop, there’s noticeable typical wear on the bearings, camshaft and lifters on the #3 cylinder.

I wanted to know what my best course of action should be now, do you guys recommend I purchase a new camshaft and who has the best quality? What parts are typical to replace? or can I have rebuilt? I have yet to measure wear limits on the bearings nor the crankshaft. But I can update soon with some photos. I know I’m taking on a big project and this is my first time rebuilding a VW motor, so any tips are welcome!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: