Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Doka Major Refresh
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Nice work!

That new instrument is really nice!
It looks like it belongs there, many modifications do not.
You should post that in the instrument thread.
Even offer to make some for folk, make a few $$'s.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Nice work!

Dave

I'd be a customer!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Nice. I remember trying to get the side gate pins out of my sinka. Painful. I ended up cutting the ends off, unbolting the hinge, and pressing them out. I replaced them with something similar to yours.

If you're looking for a fun creative idea: I always thought it would be a lot most convenient if you could open the treasure chest panels like you do on a coach bus . I find the current method painful. Might be a little late now that you've painted it.

That is an interesting idea about the treasure box doors.

To the OP...your gas filler, would that filler cap and escutcheon cup fit into the front where the 2wd filler goes ? I have a flat aero gas filler cap but the filler nozzles at gas stations won't fit into it...had to pull it out and I'm looking for an alternative. -edit- apparently not a fit out of the box anyway.

Last edited by Crankey on Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Nice work!

Dave

Thank you! The intersection of functional and aesthetic is a tricky place to find.

Interesting idea. It'd be tricky to make into a succinct product. So many mods have to happen, like for instance relocating the headlight and high beam switch and flasher switch and adding series of relays for those (the flasher in particular is not a simple circuit that a single toggle switch can handle because of how it's interconnected to the turn signal stalk on the steering column), getting oil pressure to a gauge is very dependent on engine and your personal preference for mechanical or electric (i opted for electric so I didn't have a line with oil running all the way front to back), water temp requires a lot to work around that multi-stage flasher type relay that VW puts in the fuse block... the list goes on.

It got so complex when I was doing this in fact that I considered just ripping the whole harness out and going with a solid state PDM like a Racepak Smartwire, which is IMO where the auto wiring industry is going, and we'll cease to see fuses at all on new cars in short order - but currently it's hard to justify for the $2k price tag, and the fact that it only connects to a PC laptop that has to be plugged into the car to configure really turned me off.

Now if we're talking about just selling the laser cut panel, that's easy enough, but I don't see a ton of market value there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Nice. I remember trying to get the side gate pins out of my sinka. Painful. I ended up cutting the ends off, unbolting the hinge, and pressing them out. I replaced them with something similar to yours.

If you're looking for a fun creative idea: I always thought it would be a lot most convenient if you could open the treasure chest panels like you do on a coach bus . I find the current method painful. Might be a little late now that you've painted it.

Man, a press that's imPRESSive! A) How big is your press that you could fit the gate in there haha? B) I hammered on mine for a while and felt sure that if I put any more pressure I would for sure bend the sheet metal.

For the gate idea, totally! I hadn't thought of like a coach bus, but what did cross my mind and seem really neat was moving the hinges to the bottom, and having them fold downwards. Then reinforcing them so you could use them as a step would be rad. The deal with that then is that you'd have difficulty leaning over them to reach into the chest - so I thought, what if they could roll back into a pocket underneath the treasure chest once they were flat. Would be so much fab work but I think would rule. Sort of how the Rivian does it...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: 247 spot welds and counting Reply with quote

Quick update. The powder coater had their oven go out on them so I was twiddling my thumbs waiting on all my parts to come back and figured... why not dive into the 4th door project.

I've had the door since November after the seller cut it out and shipped it to me from the UK.

The moment of no return - sawzall cut number 1

The last two days I've put in about 12 hours on this and the door is in, swinging, latching, locking - all the stuff doors should do. I am stoked.
When I was researching this project I found a few posts here and there, but no real comprehensive end-to-end how-to - so I'm planning to write one. I have way more pictures and details to post soon. Until then... I'm eating some pizza in celebration of having zero more spot welds to drill out.

Last edited by smithprocess on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Fantastic. I've been looking for a clip for awhile ~ any chance your source has another? Very interested in your write-up as I may need to just fab the other bits. Your doka is off like a rocket ship! Very Happy
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Fantastic. I've been looking for a clip for awhile ~ any chance your source has another?

No. He was a pleasure of a guy to deal with but he just happened to have a total rust bucket on ebay uk that didn't sell, and after the auction ended I messaged and worked out a deal with him to sell me just the door.

tarandusVDub wrote:
Very interested in your write-up as I may need to just fab the other bits. Your doka is off like a rocket ship! Very Happy

Thanks! I'll be happy to help however I can and show lots of pictures if you do end up fabbing parts yourself. Would be a lot of work to fab this stuff from scratch - especially the weather strip channels, but I almost might like that work better than drilling spot welds and separating brazed layers of 36 year old sheet metal. Almost.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

yeah that is my take, that it will be a lot of trial and error. Would be nice to just have the parts. Good score on the rust bucket. I've been looking for awhile with no luck. Thanks for putting in the work to document ~ huge help to the rest of us.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Wow that's some nice work.
I have to say not all software engineers have those fabrication skills.
And what a nice looking machine.

I wasn't satisfied with my Audi rear disc brakes. As soon as the pads bed in, the parking brake couldn't hold the van on a hill.
I don't like the internal manual mechanism, and fought it hard, and lost.
But yours will be lighter weight than a camper.

If your clutch pedal has towards an inch of up/down slop ---- that's a problem to deal with so note this clutch mod if you have to get in there and address your pedal.
pg 14 of "Smallcar bellhousing clutch options"

Moving the pivot "corrects" the mechanical mismatch between the Vanagon master cylinder and the Golf slave cyl that the Smallcar bellhousing uses.
I used 13mm and I think 9mm should work.
One guy tried 11mm because 13mm was tested.
But he had some trouble.

He was a very inexperienced mechanic.
BUT as an inexperienced mechanic, he was able to do this rather involved mod, so there's that.
Major props to him, but again, I wasn't there.
Didn't see the project, only heard about it on the phone.

Anyway, 13mm works great _on my van_ and haven't heard anyone else's numbers.

Do you know when your Smallcar bellhousing was made?
There can be some ugly trouble if you have the 20mm thick unit (legend suggests prior to april 2011).
pg 16 of "Smallcar bellhousing clutch options"

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

The commonly used Audi calipers don't hold a doka either as parking brake.
At least without reading the long disc break thread and trying some cable mods.
The eurovan calipers are stated to have 30% more grip than original drums in the GoWesty text about their kit.

Nice job on the door. Kinda wonder if one could use a right hand door and install it suicide door style. 🤔
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

If your clutch pedal has towards an inch of up/down slop ---- that's a problem to deal with so note this clutch mod if you have to get in there and address your pedal.

Hey thanks! I just like building things: code or metal - makes no difference to me.

On the clutch pedal, appreciate all the info and links. I’ve done the clevis repair and the mod already. The smallcar bell housing I have and the entire Subaru conversion is from around 2019. So should be good there - I had zero clutch problems before in the truck other than a sloppy pedal. Fingers crossed.
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
The commonly used Audi calipers don't hold a doka either as parking brake.
At least without reading the long disc break thread and trying some cable mods.
The eurovan calipers are stated to have 30% more grip than original drums in the GoWesty text about their kit.

Nice job on the door. Kinda wonder if one could use a right hand door and install it suicide door style. 🤔

The discs & calipers + parking brake I’m installing are the kit from Burley. I have hopes that the parking brake in his kit will hold even after the pads seat. But definitely interested to hear other’s take on the kit.

And yeah, suicide doors were a thought for me too. Anything can be done with enough fabrication. Would be cool.
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

I have the Burley kit on my tin top. Parking brake holds very well. Never have had an issue.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Burley rear discs should work….. i have seen them on a van and it held on a decent slope. Somewhere ^^above^^ I thought you wrote “Audi”, which made me think it was the Smallcar kit that is still currently available.

So, did you move the clutch pedal clevis hole?
How far?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

I thought Burley was selling eurovan calipers like GoWesty.
Both of them used to sell a kit with the weak Audi calipers I have and you can't lean on the front your rig while it's parked on a slope without having it scootch down a little.

Last edited by Crankey on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

smithprocess wrote:
The purchase to jack stands phase - post 4
First I 3d modeled the truck so that I could verify measurements of the rack before fabricating

This is cool. Can you post the 3d model?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

There is a 2WD in town with the suicide door approach. Looks great and functions perfectly. He bought it that way so didn't install himself but it has worked great for years.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

That rear rack is incredible! Love the work so far. I am becoming a home owner soon. So yeah I've been on the German cars.com looking at Syncro Dokas now.
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Major Refresh Reply with quote

Love this thread. So much bada$$ going on. Keep on keepin' on!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: