Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s The Best Speaker Setup?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

I know this has already been talked about. But I’m curious on the latest opinions. I’m having the AM Sapphire repaired, and Bluetooth added. And apparently the best way to go is to leave the center speaker for just the AM. And use a pair for the Bluetooth. So I’m mulling it over. Kick panels, speakers in an early hinge cover, or? I like the speaker mounts that go over the wheel bumps in the back, but does anyone here in the US make them? I don’t want a big box, nor do I want speakers sitting on the package tray. How about some little speakers hidden under the dash? I’m not putting any in the doors either. What is the best, least obtrusive, and best sounding way to go?
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

inspiration

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4855755
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Yes, I like those "armrest pillow" speaker enclosures. They don't look like speakers (especially if you cover the fronts, or flip them when you park, so there is no clue you have an expensive stereo to be ripped off.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I know this has already been talked about. I like the speaker mounts that go over the wheel bumps in the back, but does anyone here in the US make them? I don’t want a big box... What is the best, least obtrusive, and best sounding way to go?

I like Mark's set up where he custom built 6x9 boxes on top of his rear wheel well humps. That seemed the cleanest way to go in a Squareback.
I've had one of those "import car" speaker boxes sliding around in the back of my old Square before, and it was a PIA to deal with at times. It was nice to be able to move it out of the way when I needed room to load some stuff in there, but the wires were just something you had to deal with (limited where you could go with it).
Mark showed how he designed and built it, which really was nice of him to do (cardboard and tape for forming, then fiberglass for structure).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

i used the kick panels up front and a 3 way 6x9 inside a pillow in my armrest hole, just cant put armrest up
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

marchi wrote:
i used the kick panels up front and a 3 way 6x9 inside a pillow in my armrest hole, just cant put armrest up

Pretty good idea. But this on a Squareback. No armrest.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
I know this has already been talked about. I like the speaker mounts that go over the wheel bumps in the back, but does anyone here in the US make them? I don’t want a big box... What is the best, least obtrusive, and best sounding way to go?

I like Mark's set up where he custom built 6x9 boxes on top of his rear wheel well humps. That seemed the cleanest way to go in a Squareback.
I've had one of those "import car" speaker boxes sliding around in the back of my old Square before, and it was a PIA to deal with at times. It was nice to be able to move it out of the way when I needed room to load some stuff in there, but the wires were just something you had to deal with (limited where you could go with it).
Mark showed how he designed and built it, which really was nice of him to do (cardboard and tape for forming, then fiberglass for structure).

Which Mark are you talking about?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Speakers mounted in the rear seat door panels always look clean to me.
You can hog out the steel inner fender there if necessary.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Speakers mounted in the rear seat door panels always look clean to me.
You can hog out the steel inner fender there if necessary.

That would be a good spot for them. But I’ll have to look at my car next time I go to the body shop to see just how much cutting I would have to do. Are you talking above the armrest, or below?
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

I am in the process of fitting this radio to my Fastback :-

https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/RetroSound-Ret...1985+Style

And I am fitting two of these speakers down under the dash on the top of the wheel arches :-

https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Retrosound-Spe...ers+4+Inch

I will see how effective these 2 speakers are in the front, and if I decide I want more, I will mount two more in the rear, maybe on the rear parcel shelf on the fastback.

What I like about this design of speakers is that they are just a single mounting bolt, on a hinged bracket so they can be pointed in any direction, so simple to fit, and can be put anywhere.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
I am in the process of fitting this radio to my Fastback :-

https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/RetroSound-Ret...1985+Style

And I am fitting two of these speakers down under the dash on the top of the wheel arches :-

https://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Retrosound-Spe...ers+4+Inch

I will see how effective these 2 speakers are in the front, and if I decide I want more, I will mount two more in the rear, maybe on the rear parcel shelf on the fastback.

What I like about this design of speakers is that they are just a single mounting bolt, on a hinged bracket so they can be pointed in any direction, so simple to fit, and can be put anywhere.

I took a look at my car today. Not a lot of room under the left side of the dash, but way more on the right side. I`m curious to see how your setup goes.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

Which Mark are you talking about?

W1K1's set up in his red 65 Square with custom radio mount and 19 inch rims (his daily driver Square).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Which Mark are you talking about?[/quote]
W1K1's set up in his red 65 Square with custom radio mount and 19 inch rims (his daily driver Square).[/quote]

Oh yeah, he does good work
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

How about a pair of those Marty McFly type woofers?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
How about a pair of those Marty McFly type woofers?

Hmmm…. I don’t want giant subwoofers anymore, but feel free to explain
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

I thought they might sound good when you're listening to Hair of the Dog.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of my radio mount, and proposed speaker site in the front.

I was going to mount my radio by itself straight up under the dash, and reposition my oil pressure and temp gauges up on top of the dash, with the wires coming up through where the original central speaker once used to be. But having thought about this for a couple of days (as one does), this would have made for a real mess of wiring behind the radio, where it is already busy. So decided to make up a radio mounting plate, and include the gauges in there, rather than messing up the dash cover. Got enough stuff up there as it is !
Just used the same board that I used to make my new door cards, covered it with leatherette, and have supported it at the bottom with a strap that goes back to the base of the frunk. This means I can earth gauges and radio to that metal strap, and makes the whole shebang really solid.

I haven't mounted the speakers yet, but intend to do so by putting a rivnut into the panel there so they can be mounted securely with just one bolt. Originally I looked at buying / making pods to go in the same position, using regular speakers, but when I saw these free hanging speakers that can be angled in any direction, I had to choose them as it makes the whole installation so much simpler. I am still toying up with mounting 2 similar speakers on the rear parcel shelf, but that might have to wait until I pull the rear seat out in a couple of weeks so I can run the wires through properly instead of just sticking them under the carpet. I plan to replace the rear seats with plywood sheets, so I can securely tie down my fridge, cooker, and other camping gear for my 19,000 km trip around Australia in a couple of months time. I will also put a 2nd (deep cycle) battery under the LH side of the rear seat that will run the fridge and external camping lights etc without fear of running down the main starter battery. It will charge automatically when driving, once the normal battery is fully charged. There will be access panels in the plywood base so I can lift them up to reach the batteries etc if necessary. All will be detailed separately when I do it, along with my trailer tent that is now finished Smile

1) Up in the LH front corner where I will mount the speaker
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2) Holding the speaker roughly in position

3) Making my radio panel

4) Radio dummy installed in position in car
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
I thought they might sound good when you're listening to Hair of the Dog.

Now you’re messin’ with a sonofabitch! Cool

I’m going to just do my own version of ‘loud luggage’ with speakers/amp in an old suitcase and head unit run off of an app on my phone.

That way I won’t have to cut the car, can use it in my other cars, and can remove it if desired.

What’s That Noise?!?
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

I used the fiberglass under dash panels and then put the carpet over them, back seat (fastback) put a 6x9 in the armrest in the down position, trunk was a fiberglass box that we had to pull the t\insulation out to get it in, but shes snug

SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What’s The Best Speaker Setup? Reply with quote

in my square going similar but instead of back seat 6x9 i am going to build a sub box that hold a 6x9 on top and rear facing subwoofer. Easy removal the 6x9s will run off the amp, so disconnect the box and it all comes up for cargo space
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: