Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me price my dads camper conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cweinberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Hey there, this is my first post and I really need some help here.
My dad's health is failing and I have been trusted to find a home for his project.
I am not too familiar with this community BUT I am a long time Miata owner and so I get it. This is why I am coming here, I trust you all know what you are talking about.

https://westieforlife2x.blogspot.com

this is the blog I made for the two.

can you help me figure out how to move these ? What I mean to say is, what price, how to market them, what is the value and where to find the interested parties?

thank you so very much for your time and consideration.

peace
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

I just saw a tin top in better running condition sell for $2500 on eBay in your area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

from the limited photos i'd say 500 bux a piece if you're lucky

if the bodies are super clean, original paint, maybe 1k each to the right person.

* i am basing that off the photos on the blog after clicking "read more" i didn't go any further than those photos...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Let me ask, is this his idea to get rid of his Vans?

If I fell sick and my Child started getting rid of my life while I was still alive watching..... I'd be upset!

Anyway Basket cases usually have little real value.

Yes, there can be a lot of money invested in parts, but you have a torn apart vehicle that most buyers are helpless to do anything with.
Only one in a thousand shoppers actually have the skills to put it back together again.
The camper has some value but it is completely torn apart!
Some work will be required to even move it.
Considering you have a conversion kit with it ....... maybe $3,000?
Somebody will get a "deal" but some assembly is required!

The ex-camper has little value.
A non runner with a hacked pop top and no camper interior.
A step above a parts car.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Instead of asking us members who for the most part are bottom feeders and know the true value of these vans and know that what they sell for is rarely close to what people ask for them. We may not be the best people to ask.

I realize you are hoping to push the the big Red Easy button here. If you want real numbers then look through the Classifieds and see what a similar van is listed for.

Does the sale include an adapter plate and a harness (converted or not)and has the engine been serviced?

As stated unfinished vans and incomplete vans are hard sales. If this were a 86-91 Westy or even better an 88 or newer and mechanics special you might get decent cash for it. At this point as stated you might get 3K for the pair. Yea Go Westy when they used to sell vans was getting 50 - 80 K. They rarely sold a pre 86 van for good reason.

It's easy to find the market level, Take 9 good pics and write a brief description and place an ad in the classifieds (Ads are free) set your price at what you feel the market will bear, when the phone starts ringing you will know you're at the right price point.

Usually these threads are a pre Ad, this topic has been covered numerous times and a quick search through the FAQ's will really bear fruit.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Yikes. Tough to sell in that condition. I would list them on the samba and Craigslist for $3000 as a package deal and see if you get any bites. These are both unknown basket cases. Good luck.

Sorry about you father. Sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Assume Dad is gone and so Dave's comment isn't important?

Just looked again and realized it's TWO cars, so disregard the below. Plexi car a give away. The camper--Upholstery a minus. Read what others have to say.

I consider most projects for me to be no hill for a climber. This is a serious Everest to be attacked without oxygen. I would part out the Westy cabinetry which should bring more than the car as a whole. If I want the cabinets, I don't want to have to get rid of the rest. Park the Westy top back on and XO the plexi and see what happens. I'd start at $1500 and be willing to give it away since I already got the $ for the cabinets. Maybe selling the pop top parts and then give the car away might work. You're in the right geographic zone for this. In its current condition, I'm afraid it's just too intimidating for all but the one guy which may never see your ad. Add up the value of the cabinets, Westy top and add $500?? Ever put in a headliner? Not easy to get it right without wrinkles. That's a detractor as well as everything else.

Duncan
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

FYI - There are two Vanagon groups on Facebook for Portland. I would post these vans there and on CL. Portland Vanagons and PDX Vanagons.

Unless someone wants a project, those are both tough vans to sell. The 1980 is probably a parts van. The camper has some value but probably in the $1500 range. It's going to take quite a bit of work to make it a runner.

Best of luck.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

I see the Subaru engine but if any other Subaru conversion parts are included in sale of the van(s) I'd play up that aspect and include any info, pics of those parts.

It appears both have the metal air intakes at rear pillars. Maybe one van was a donor?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Where they molded in? Or..

I also noticed the radio antennas on the passenger side? My 83 is on the drivers side
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

my observation with vanagons is there are very few willing to pony up for a project van of ANY year.

seems that the aircooled crowd is more likely to pay for a project. that's not to say someone won't buy your vans but the issue is there are too many wildcards in a sale like that....like what parts are missing (some can be very hard to find) transmission condition, electrical system condition etc.

so basically you have to find the person willing to be bled to death and pour 20k into a project vs buying a running and driving van for 20k

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
so basically you have to find the person willing to be bled to death and pour 20k into a project vs buying a running and driving van for 20k

Brings up the old question:

What's the difference between a $4000 car and a $24,000 car?

$23,000.

It's always cheaper to buy a complete car than a project.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

These threads always end badly. We have two kinds of people here. People like me that are hard core do it yourselfers and the people that just pay to get what they want. Unfortunately a person that just pays for what they want can’t afford that van at any price it will just cost to much to pay someone to put it back together. The do it yourself guy is always looking for a deal and not willing to pay much. If you want to increase the value you need to show what Subaru engine conversion parts you have to go with the van. That could change price considerably. I am with Dave on this $3000 to 3500 for both so someone can make one out of two. Someone could easily put a few hundred hours into the project so it just won’t bring all the money. Sorry to here about your father. Good luck with the vans someone will want them. John
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Seems like Mr Berg went off into the sunset, as usually happens with new postees that get barraged when asking a simple question.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
These threads always end badly. We have two kinds of people here. People like me that are hard core do it yourselfers and the people that just pay to get what they want.
John

The hard core do it yourselfers, know a money pit and when to walk away.
16CVs wrote:
Seems like Mr Berg went off into the sunset, as usually happens with new postees that get barraged when asking a simple question.

Stacy

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

And this is what I worry about when I have a car all in pieces in the garage... will I get it back together in time or will events prevent that from happening?

So far, they have all gone back on the road and (I tell myself) no more projects for me.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
And this is what I worry about when I have a car all in pieces in the garage... will I get it back together in time or will events prevent that from happening?

So far, they have all gone back on the road and (I tell myself) no more projects for me.

I wish it was that easy. My 911 is in about 500 pieces and it will be two more years before I am finished with my three buses and can start back in on it. My guess is it may be running in 5 years.... when I am 67.... it will have been an eight year restoration at that point. Silly buses for travel got in the way. Cool

The Western Syncro build
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

Is that cream one the same one that's been on Craigslist for $10K for months now? Sure looks like it....

Honestly you're in about the best place in the country to sell them. Portland is Vanagon NATION. I'd suggest tossing them on the Portland Vanagons facebook group and seeing if you get a bite, but both of those are MASSIVE projects that aren't going to net you a ton of money in the condition they're in.

Also better and more detailed photos would go a LONG way to helping out. Showing things like the engine bays even. Washing them would help too.
cweinberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

if the bodies are super clean, original paint, maybe 1k each to the right person.

* i am basing that off the photos on the blog after clicking "read more" i didn't go any further than those photos...

hmmm, I suppose you are right. I should just post a bunch of images into this blog page so you don't have to click around.

I was hoping to get some realistic advice and then make a good add.

I will file your comment under the "needs pics" column.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help me price my dads camper conversion Reply with quote

cweinberg wrote:

hmmm, I suppose you are right. I should just post a bunch of images into this blog page so you don't have to click around.

I was hoping to get some realistic advice and then make a good add.

I will file your comment under the "needs pics" column.

There are a lot of good comments in the replies. Why did you pick on this one?

We are trying to help. What would your ad say?

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: