Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheel nut
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Anyone put loctite on the shaft to keep that steering wheel nut secure?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Not needed, there's that lockwasher.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

It's a tapper fit.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's a tapper fit.

It is? News to me!

My latest piles steering wheel nut is loose. I can thread the nut all the way down to the end of the threads.

And, No locktite needed. Just make sure that the wavy washer is not flattened.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Glenn wrote:
It's a tapper fit.

It is? News to me!

Ever take one off? You have to leave the nut on, a few turns, so when you break it loose it doesn't smack you in the face.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Glenn wrote:
It's a tapper fit.

It is? News to me!

Ever take one off? You have to leave the nut on, a few turns, so when you break it loose it doesn't smack you in the face.

So you're talking about the splined shaft. Not the nut.

The splines are straight too! The wheel gets stuck on the splines. But to my knowledge. They too are not tapered.

Yes I have taken many VW steering wheels off. And no I haven't need emergency dental work afterward.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Like @67rustavenger, I've also never noticed any taper. If it does exist (which seems logical), then I think it would be in the splines on the steering shaft. They get thicker along the raised longitudinal lines as you go forward, and narrower on the low cut slots that run between, as well as not as deeply cut as you go forward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
Anyone put loctite on the shaft to keep that steering wheel nut secure?

No, I never have and wouldn't recommend it either. That big wavy washer is a form of fastener locking devise.

Torque the nut to spec and away you go! Arrow

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel nut Reply with quote

I give a few taps with a pneumatic impact gun and it stays tight. Trying to hold the steering wheel with one hand and operate a ratchet in the other at the same time will not get the nut the right torque
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: