Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

don't even get me going on ins co's and people with extended warranties.

the last one i dealt with wanted to pay 52/hr. told them nope...labor is 1xx.xx an hour.

after much back and forth (which i told them i was billing for) they agreed to pay.

girl on the phone asked "how do you sleep with yourself at night?"

told her i sleep fine on a pillow full of money. she about shit herself. fuck ins co's... they don't give me a break so why should i return the favor.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I found two local independent places that could get the green shade band.
I went with what may be a 1-man show, with good reviews.

16CV’s, you are right about the insurance Co. I’m not getting into details, but I had to start a claim, they called back with the amount they would pay, if more have the glass guy call them for an adjustment.

Years ago, I dropped off the car with my keys and my name, my insurance broker name, returned later in the day and picked up my car. I never contacted the insurance company at all.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Since we're talking about them here - Do Folks always replace the seals?
I've got all the windows out and every seal I removed appeared in great shape. No cracks or tears while removing. I've been surprised at how good shape much of the OE rubber on my van has been when removed, and suspect even old OE rubber may be better than *most* of what is available now.
So, always replace window seals just because?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
I've got all the windows out and every seal I removed appeared in great shape. No cracks or tears while removing. I've been surprised at how good shape much of the OE rubber on my van has been when removed, and suspect even old OE rubber may be better than *most* of what is available now.

I'd run those seals if they are in great shape. You never know what quality you will get with replacements.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

i'd reuse them if they were in good shape, but i would not reuse the ones with the plastic trim.

i know it's up for debate, but i think the trim fattens the seal up a bit to aid in sealing. obviously these aren't bead lock seals (think 80's GM truck/van) but i do think it makes a difference.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:

Unless you are the original owner of the van I don't know how you can confirm that the seals that you removed are the OE seals. If they are still pliable and crack free you should give it a try but just be prepared that your glass reinstallation project may need to be paused when one of the old seals fails during reinstallation.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

the problem I have with the original (or old seals still in good shape) is that they bleed black on every wash and with a white van, it is very noticeable.
I am in the process of replacing all my window seals and my windshield. I have a mixture of new seals from various vendors - bus depot, gowesty - all with different origins and manufacturer. I am going to try to keep straight which seals fit best. I have a feeling some of the seals from Gowesty are of lower quality and from an unknown manufacturer....but we will see.

I wrapped all my windows with the new seals and they have just been sitting for a few months taking shape before they go in. I don't know if that matters, but I don't have a choice so I thought that would be better than leaving them boxed up in some twisted form.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Got my replacement windshield installed by a small local place that was great to work with. Also got to hang out in a grassy spot, under a tree using their picnic table.
The band didn’t seem too bad as I drove it home. I think I’d find it more bothersome in places with big vistas, such as going to the sun road in Glacier.

Hard to photograph, it extends down to about 3/4 of the rear view mirror.
Actually, if this was limited to even with top of the rear view mirror, I’d might have selected it on purpose. Actually more noticeable in these pictures, than in real life.

My main problem is that I was hoping to pad my seat a bit more to change my leg to accelerator angle in hopes of lessening knee problems. Now, I’ll look into cruise control.

Well, onto putting my interior back in on Sat. and packing for a trip, departing Sun afternoon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Following up here- To clarify, is the PGW glass still available, or just the Mygrant supplied XYG?
A local shop i called only found the XYG, though, I think they had the PGW a few weeks ago and I didn't pull the trigger...

Is there any difference between the current options?
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I actually just had a local shop tell me that XYG makes the glass for PGW.
Anyone know if that's correct?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
I actually just had a local shop tell me that XYG makes the glass for PGW.
Anyone know if that's correct?

i can't answer that but what is the real question? are you looking for a 'clear' glass with no shade line (tint band at the top of the glass) or are you looking for a glass with that band?

PGW makes the non-shade line 'clear' (i say clear but it does have a slight tint to it) glass without that foolish band at the top

16cv's helped me get some. i literally got them like last week and we got the wheels in motion at about the time i posted this.

PGW in boston is where i was able to pick up the glass BUT they had none in stock so shipping from the chillicothe ohio warehouse took forever.

so what is it you're trying to do?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

It’s easy to tell who makes a glass part. Look at the DOT #, put that number with the DOT PREFIX and it’ll tell who makes the glass. All auto glass has a DOT number.
Run it and come back and let us know.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I was told I could get a green tint with no band in a few days- XYG glass.

So, you got PGW version recently.

I guess I'm mostly curious if there is any substantial difference between these two options and I should bother tracking down a PGW.

Two places I recently called indicated no PGW available.

Stacy, thanks for the tip.
Tried that on the Pilkington I have - DOT 177 = L-N SAFETY GLASS S.A.DE C.V. OF MEXACALI Toledo Ohio
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I’m a NOS OE snob when available. But I’ve spent my life in this business and have installed both brands and they both fit without issue. So buy what’s available and go on with your life.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

I broke 3 Vanagon windshields last year trying to install them. I think there is something up with the seals. I bought a complete WCM seal kit. I have installed a lot of glass before and the WCM seals are damn near impossible to install. I finally found a local glass shop with a wet belt sander to sand the glass down. Total pain in the butt.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I broke 3 Vanagon windshields last year trying to install them. I think there is something up with the seals. I bought a complete WCM seal kit. I have installed a lot of glass before and the WCM seals are damn near impossible to install. I finally found a local glass shop with a wet belt sander to sand the glass down. Total pain in the butt.

that was the common denominator with mine.... broke the original glass, and the replacement glass with the seal on it wasn't fitting the hole right.

so, we shaved it down too:

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

you can see the yellow tape we ran on the glass. he's hitting it with my die grinder and a 36 grit disk

this is what 1/8" of shaved glass looks like when it's dry

that said, i have some seals i got from germany which look a lot more like the OE seal.

i have yet to install the new (clear) windshield but will update when i do

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Boy!

I wouldn't mind having new glass!

I may check into getting one before the current supply dries up!

Thanks for the tip....... might make some phone calls next week.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

We broke 2 new ones and an original from the junkyard. It's the seals 100%.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
We broke 2 new ones and an original from the junkyard. It's the seals 100%.

just to clarify, it was the WCM windshield seal, correct?

the profile of the WCM seal is WAY different than the original, but it's clearly too thick in the pinch weld to windshield groove area. looks like we both had issues with the WCM seal

Quote:
Boy!

I wouldn't mind having new glass!

I may check into getting one before the current supply dries up!

Thanks for the tip....... might make some phone calls next week.

Dave

the windshield with the shade line/tinted band seemed to be available pretty readily at the time i posted this. i personally hate them.

16cv's went above and beyond for me and i couldn't believe someone would deal with such a mess for a peckerhead like myself. i couldn't be happier and if at any time he needs something i have....it's his.

i wanted 5 windshields but they'd only sell him 3 at the time so i got 3. my glass guy cancelled his account with the same company 16cv's uses a while back so he had no access to the glass i was looking for.

vanagonjr had the same issue and he's in Massachusetts not *too* far from me. oddly, the warehouse my glass was sent to was in MA.

i pulled out every stop i could and thankfully 16cv's stepped up

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: windshield glass part number UPDATE: seal issues Reply with quote

Yep it was a complete Vanagon seal kit from West Coast Metric. I would have used the original seal but the glass shop before me completely destroyed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: