Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Clean!
Nice to see one that appears to be all original and in excellent condition.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Yep, all original with the exception of the right front fender that was replaced when the car was about a week old. Another driver brake-checked my wife on her way home from work and the dealership fixed it.

It has been a great car with only normal maintenance items being replaced and everything still works after 30 years and just shy of 400,000 miles.
TheRustyRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I personally feel anything newer than the original watercooled VW's (The Dasher, Rabbit, Pickup, Jetta and Scirocco) just don't stand out as anything special.

The Air cooled cars will always have lots of love, and we are blessed that the MK1 VW's also have a following. The problem with MK2s and on is that they were just larger, bloated versions of the pure thing that the MK1 was.

I've been riding around in these MK1's since 1990 and every time I've thought about moving up, A quick test drive reminds me why I never do.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Counterpoint.....there’s nothing on the US market like it and it rips.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I’ll bet. The bug looks really nice too...with, perhaps, a performance mod or two?

Chris
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Here's a photo of our other success story taken last month just after turning 400,000 miles. We bought this '98 GLX new when we lived in north Texas and it's been a great car--just like the 91 GTI I shared earlier. My wife put most of the miles on this one also and I now use it as my work car most of the time. I've had a couple of issues with electrical sensors (most aggravating being the shift solenoids in the automatic trans), but it has been a faithful workhorse and is still fun to drive. The only non-original paint is the rear bumper cover that had to be replaced after being cut during a minor shunt.

cloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Here's a photo of our other success story taken last month just after turning 400,000 miles. We bought this '98 GLX new when we lived in north Texas and it's been a great car--just like the 91 GTI I shared earlier. My wife put most of the miles on this one also and I now use it as my work car most of the time. I've had a couple of issues with electrical sensors (most aggravating being the shift solenoids in the automatic trans), but it has been a faithful workhorse and is still fun to drive. The only non-original paint is the rear bumper cover that had to be replaced after being cut during a minor shunt.

Very nice. You have had some good luck with late model VWs. My aunt and uncle had the same Jetta GLX VR6 5spd when new. It was metallic forest green with black leather interior. I thought it was pretty cool back then.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

My '79 Rabbit. Photo taken in mid-'80s.

Bent the front end in a rain-soaked crash. Too much $$ to fix at the time.

Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Wow....Coolizzat!! Where’s the location?
Chris
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

A unique Water-cooled with Air-cooled...air.
(Very rare, 30 years old timer car, (1992), Passat b35i, Syncro g60).
MacRuidh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

My first car was a 93 VW Fox and my dad had a 92. Both were very reliable, if not exciting cars. I haven't seen another one on the road in at least 15 years
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I went back to school in the 80s and cheap diesel Rabbits got me through on cheap transportation. Gas was really expensive back then

Just inherited a Mark 7 Golf stickshift. Will drive that to death
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: