Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

School me on front shock bump stops
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

I'm putting together a parts list. Trying to not let the list get too out-of-hand, but I've just discovered the topic of bump stops. Assuming it's original, is this something that should be replaced with the shock?

Next question: there appear to be 2 popular options, the GW urethane option and the Powerflex option. Anybody have a favorite?

Thx!

Last edited by porterbrown on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on shock bump stops Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
I'm putting together a parts list. Trying to not let the list get too out-of-hand, but I've just discovered the topic of bump stops. Assuming it's original, is this something that should be replaced with the shock?

Next question: there appear to be 2 popular options, the GW urethane option and the Powerflex option. Anybody have a favorite?

Thx!

Hello!

The Powerflex is only for the factory lowered version encountered on some Carat vans. (-30mm)

The GoWesty ones I can`t speak off, they don`t give any dimension or info about them. "Fits every van". Yeah, sure... but with what fncking result??
The pic makes them look like regular height, so longer than the Powerflex ones.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: School me on shock bump stops Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

The bump stop is tucked away, so you can't really inspect its condition until you have the shock out. Ultimately, my question is about whether or not it's typically replaced with a shock replacement. Just wasn't sure if this part falls into a similar category with bushings.

The more I think about it, the more I start to feel that it shouldn't be on my parts list. Thoughts?

Also, regarding the [shorter] Powerflex bump stop, I read this on the VC site about using them for any van (not just lowered).

"Both the factory short and long bump stops have not been available in a long time. You can use this short bump stop in the long application because having any bump stop is way better than having a disintegrated one!"
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

Picture of the Powerflex for reference

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to replace mine when I redo the front end. My question is what impact does using a non-knurled shock collar have?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I plan to replace mine when I redo the front end.

I'm curious what has prompted you to replace them?
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

I’m just big on preventative maintenance. When you have everything apart why not replace all rubber and plastic that is accessible?

When I redid my coolant system, were the part broken? No, but having metal instead of plastic at every junction puts my mind at ease for long road trips.

There is also the availability factor, in the 20 years I have been driving VW buses, plenty of times I waited too long to pull the trigger on replacement parts and the source dried up. I’m not saying Powerflex is going to stop selling parts for Vanagons anytime soon, just nice to do it all while you are there as it might be your only chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

The knurled part doesn`t matter.

Whem I bought these VW rubber stops new they came with it, I think that`s for the rubber to stick to it when molded. It is or was also available as a replacement part, so indeed, doesn`t matter, it`s just a guide and a sleeve protector for the shock shaft. Once everything is bolted together, this is it.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I’m just big on preventative maintenance. When you have everything apart why not replace all rubber and plastic that is accessible?

When I redid my coolant system, were the part broken? No, but having metal instead of plastic at every junction puts my mind at ease for long road trips.

There is also the availability factor, in the 20 years I have been driving VW buses, plenty of times I waited too long to pull the trigger on replacement parts and the source dried up. I’m not saying Powerflex is going to stop selling parts for Vanagons anytime soon, just nice to do it all while you are there as it might be your only chance.

That's fair. And I'm totally not knocking your decision; just curious about the thought process as I'm currently on the fence about replacing them. As I'm working on a parts list for a suspension job, the list of things "to do while in there" can become a bit overwhelming.
colbysmith28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

I have the same mentality, if I'm in there might as well replace it. I replaced my bump stops a few weeks back with the GW ones. I also replaced the dust shield as well. Getting the bump stop in can be a bit of a pain, recommend some silicon lubricant!
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

colbysmith28 wrote:
I have the same mentality, if I'm in there might as well replace it. I replaced my bump stops a few weeks back with the GW ones. I also replaced the dust shield as well. Getting the bump stop in can be a bit of a pain, recommend some silicon lubricant!

Noted. Alright, so I'm sensing that it IS a common thing--to replace these when you replace the shocks. I may be coming over to the other side of the fence at this point.

Now I see that dust shields are $6...so why not.
colbysmith28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
colbysmith28 wrote:

Noted. Alright, so I'm sensing that it IS a common thing--to replace these when you replace the shocks. I may be coming over to the other side of the fence at this point.

exactly my thought as well. i replaced every component on the front suspension aside from the lower control arms. all new hardware and bushings, joints everything. i would hate to have done all that work and then regretted not replacing a $10 part in attempt to save money
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

colbysmith28 wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
colbysmith28 wrote:

exactly my thought as well. i replaced every component on the front suspension aside from the lower control arms. all new hardware and bushings, joints everything. i would hate to have done all that work and then regretted not replacing a $10 part in attempt to save money

while I have your ear, on the list is upper shock mount bushings.

I also have all hardware on the list, but still shopping for the best way to get what I need (for the best price). GW has a kit that's about $40 per end, but it also has pieces that I won't need this time around (LCA bushings, etc...).

Thoughts?
colbysmith28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

while I have your ear, on the list is upper shock mount bushings.

I also have all hardware on the list, but still shopping for the best way to get what I need (for the best price). GW has a kit that's about $40 per end, but it also has pieces that I won't need this time around (LCA bushings, etc...).

Thoughts?[/quote]

i believe i ordered mine through vancafe, i got the bushings and the bushing plate (forgot the name right now) might old ones didnt look awful, but they had served their purpose well for many year and it was there time.
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there... but, I would not toss OE rubber "just because"
You are unlikely to replace it with anything nearly as quality these days - polyurethane perhaps aside.

I've taken many rubber items of my van to replace, only to find the OE rubber in shockingly good condition.
I don't think bump stops are a highly "worked" item. probably worth at least checking them out before replacing with new crap *rubber*
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Just throwing this out there... but, I would not toss OE rubber "just because"
You are unlikely to replace it with anything nearly as quality these days - polyurethane perhaps aside.

I've taken many rubber items of my van to replace, only to find the OE rubber in shockingly good condition.
I don't think bump stops are a highly "worked" item. probably worth at least checking them out before replacing with new crap *rubber*

I'm not sure a rubber replacement is in existence. Only replacements I know of are the poly options from GW and Powerflex.

However, your point is what makes me a bit skeptical about replacing the rubber parts. Their use within the system seems somewhat "occasional", rather than "constant" (like a bushing).

Just my 2 cents. Would still love to hear from others.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

Yes, just inspect it, if it ain`t split, don`t fix it.

I`ve destroyed mine doing offroad with a 2wd a shitty shocks. And when I mean offroad, it`s not trail cruising Laughing
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

Anyone with Before/After stories? Real world experience?

GoWesty claims "Even the tamest Vanagon drivers give their front bump stops a fair amount of abuse...".

I have a lowered tintop, never thought much about the bump stops... hard bumps are harsh, just like any other lowered vehicle.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on front shock bump stops Reply with quote

Thought I would throw this out there to update this old thread.
I was getting an intermittent "thunking" noise that sounded like something was loose under van below the driver's seat. On inspection I found that the bump stop had broken off and the dust cover was rattling around on the shock body. We do a fair amount of forest service roads, but no real "off roading", so this can presumably happen from potholes or just age etc. I don't know if these are original on my 1983.5 2WD Westy, but they were marked "Germany" (post consolidation?). The old shock bushings were made in "West Germany".

I replaced the shock bushings and bushing guide sleeves at the same time, but the old dust covers were fine so I reused them. The hardest part of replacing the bump stop was getting the old one out of the dust cover and getting the new one on. Much grunting and swearing involved. I tried some lube, but I think that only made it worse.

Here is the old bump stop

Here is the new Go Westy urethane replacement and old shock assembly for comparison.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: