Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filling in the gas door (newbie)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

I'm filling in the gas door of my 68', I bought a 67" tank for it.

I'm using matching VW metal for the fill panel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've spot welded about every 1/4" all around, jumping around so one area didn't get too hot.

This is from inside the trunk:

My question is: Do I need to end up spot welding the whole line around the patch till it is filled solid?

Thanks!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
...My question is: Do I need to end up spot welding the whole line around the patch till it is filled solid?

Thanks!
The correct answer is yes. You want it to be a seamless sheet of steel once you weld the patch in place and grind and sand the welds flat.
Your best option for grinding the welds flat is to use a cutting disc on your cut-off tool rather than a grinding disk. Use the disc perpendicular to the weld, this will give you a finer finish, generate less heat, and allow you to remove only the weld metal rather than the surrounding metal.

1) Grind the welds with the cut-off disk until they are just proud of the base metal
2) Use a Bandfile or Roloc disks on a die grinder to do the finish work.

Bandfile/mini belt sander
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-electric-mini-belt-sander.html

Roloc discs and and tool
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2-surface-prep-tool.html

These are offered as examples. Shop around and read reviews for the option that best fits you.

Cheers,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

If you tack weld that piece in place in maybe 8 places and then start the next tack weld off of the last one it will be continuous.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

That’s a big tank.
jaysurfs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

I want to do the same thing on my '68. Did the gas tank fit in just fine? Or was there any differences? Any fasteners adjustments? Thanks 🤙
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

Tank just drops in. You need the early style tank hold downs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

The filler neck vent line. Should be routed, using the nylon clips. Seen on the inner fender well.
Route the vent line using the lower clip then bring it up to the upper clips. Then down to the vent line hole behind the spare tire. As seen in the image above.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

The filler neck vent line. Should be routed, using the nylon clips. Seen on the inner fender well.
Route the vent line using the lower clip then bring it up to the upper clips. Then down to the vent line hole behind the spare tire. As seen in the image above.

Correct, i just grabbed the first pic of a gas tank hold down i found in gallery.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jaysurfs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling in the gas door (newbie) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Awesome thanks. I found a used newer aftermarket early year tank on craigslist yesterday for $25bucks and swooped it up. 🤙
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: