Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Fox 2.0 Shocks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I see GW now has Fox 2.0 shocks for Bay Windows. They’re pricey ($600), but wonder how they’ll compare to Koni’s that are hard to come by. Any thoughts?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/shock-absorbers-bushings/25056/fox-shock-kit-for-bus-70-79
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I have the konis myself for both front and rear and one thing I like about them is that they are adjustable. I don't see that capability for these but I could be wrong.

I use my bus for normal street and freeway driving so I don't know how or if the fox shocks would be a benefit for me.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I have the heavy duty Sacks that I got from Bus Depot, they seem to work very well.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I have the konis myself for both front and rear and one thing I like about them is that they are adjustable. I don't see that capability for these but I could be wrong.

I use my bus for normal street and freeway driving so I don't know how or if the fox shocks would be a benefit for me.

I’m running Koni’s myself too. No complaints, but just saw the Fox shocks and had they been available when I was buying the Koni’s, I might have considered them since they are made in the US and Fox has a pretty good reputation in the truck suspension industry (Not to mention they just look cool too).

Thx!
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I have adjustable Fox shocks on my F350 and they work well.

Overkill for a bus I think.

+1 on the heavy duty shocks from BD.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I saw this ad as well. 600 bucks for front and rear seems a bit steep. But Go Westy's market is geared for guys with deep pockets.

However, I think it great that they are still figure things out for the bus crowd. Good on them.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

so im riding the shocks right now. great shocks, a bit noisey and the metal insert where the bushings go is warping . any thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

Seems odd that the distortion in most of the bushings is at ~30° to the axis of the shocks, while for one shock it is a whopping 75°.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

It means two things combined....possibly one more than the other:

1. As Wildthings pointed out....the axis of the distortion is NOT in the direction of shock action....which means they are either installed twisted or under torsion.....and it has literally been 2 decades since I last installed rear shocks on a bus.....so I do not know if having some angular twist on them is "normal".

But.....this twisting can also happen if the bolt is not clamping the bushing tightly and its shifting.
You note they are noisey. In what way?
If you hear rattling......or metallic noises on compression or extension.....its because one or both of the mounting points is loose....and it WILL cause this problem on all but the thickest/hardest shock eye bushings.

2. If the shocks are meant to be under twist or angular torsion....and the mounting points are not loose.....then its possible they used a non-hardened bushing tube. That csn be replaced.

Ray
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

i torqued them to spec 36ft lbs . what is interesting about the shocks is that there is a space a tiny little amount of overhang coming out of that mounting mount. by over hang the metal bushing tube goes passed the bushing a tad bit. now the washers Gowesty provided were quite thick and not the correct diameter so they didnt sit flush. do you guys think that could had been part of the problem.

the guys at go westy have been really cool about everything and are trying to figure it out , they also provided new washers but they are not handling the torque spec when tightening them down.

the noise is almost like constant squeaking noises when going over any large bump. like when you have old springs on a car.

my entire suspension is fairly new so the noise is definitely coming from the shocks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

could be the leaf springs squeaking too. They do that when they get a little rust in them.

As for the shocks. $600 for a set of shocks where they are already failing? Wow. Koni, Spax etc are a better deal than that IMHO.

As a side comment, those rotors look a little glazed and slagged.
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

i agree on the price to quality comment.

rotors are old but not warped or noisey. i do agree ill get some brembo ones.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

They look deformed from torque on the fastener being applied to a shaft that's larger than the bushing and distorting it until it all compresses down. You can "see" the marks from the washer. Maybe they are distorting after installation, but I'm not so sure.

Did you tighten them at ride height (e.g. on the ground) or with the wheels in the air? Was that 36lbft measured with a torque wrench? IIRC, I've read lower (25lbft)... but I'm not looking at a factory printed spec at the moment, and 36lbft doesn't seem egregious... if 25 was the spec. Honestly, 25lbft seems too low. Are you sure that .... the torque required to turn the fastener was .... hmm, constant and the torque required to turn it ramped up smoothly? Like, could you feel the resistance changing (getting looser at any point) as you tightened it? As in, go up, then down, then finally up and finished.... I am curious if you used a needle style torque wrench or a click one.

You spoke to GW about it huh? Have you spoken with Fox?
Are they willing to send you new spacers?
Is Fox or GW willing to replace the shocks under warranty?

And squeaks aside...how do they handle/ride? Smile
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

@bigserg any updates here on the fox "2.0" bus shocks?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

Way old post, but from the direction of the deformation, I’m willing to bet that the “metallic noise” & the damage on the collar, that the shock was beating against the bump stop bracket/beam.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

i also wouldnt be surprised if those huge tires were heaving the whole suspension in unexpected ways against the sway bar / frame / body etc

and yeah i hear u, on resurrecting dead threads,

still-- curious what FOX 2.0 bus shock owners think about their shocks, though
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

It’s not so much the big tires as it is the fact that they have the suspension topped out & are effectively using the shocks at suspension limiters. If the shock body is making contact with the beam, then it is trying to bend the shock & the shock body is stiffer than the eyelets.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:

sorry for the delayed reply.

so i contacted fox and gowesty. they both sent me new washers and spacers for the rubber mount loop hole. the shocks are really good to be honest , i also put a heavy duty sway bar and that really stiffen things out.i still rub some when my fat friends ride with me but when the wife rides or im riding solo no rubbing at any articulation.

i think part of the issue is that the spacers are a little to big for the mounting points on the bus so they have a tiny bit of play. i also torqued them down more then recommended and with the new washers and spacers and took a couple trips . just took it apart a couple months ago and no obvious signs of deformation. so maybe extra torque and tighter washers did the trick.

i am curious how the bilstein shocks compare . my final thought , probably not worth the money if you have to deal with all the headache. i knew going into it that it was overkill but i wanted the wow factor having fox shocks on the bus, a lot of people ask me questions about it . its hard for them to believe fox makes shocks for the bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

just keep in mind that shocks have only one purpose, to absorb excess energy and let the springs do the work. When people in the late 1970's and 1980's started getting into the baja 500 - 1000 etc., and all those trucks and buggies started using heavy duty shocks - or you saw 3 shocks on each wheel, the reason that path was taken was to shed heat. Shocks working absorb energy and that heats them up until the oil overheats or foams. Gas Pressure shocks were invented to stop foaming in heavy use. 3 big shocks have lots of surface area to cool. A bus going down the highway doesn't generate that type heat. I run Koni's but frankly they are no better riding than the high quality Monroe or Gabriel shocks were in the 1970's. But the Koni's are better than the lower priced ones out there now. I ran Nakatas before the Koni's and the improvement came mostly because I could tune them to my driving, and the bus weight.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

BIGSERG wrote:
metahacker wrote:

sorry for the delayed reply.

so i contacted fox and gowesty. they both sent me new washers and spacers for the rubber mount loop hole. the shocks are really good to be honest , i also put a heavy duty sway bar and that really stiffen things out.i still rub some when my fat friends ride with me but when the wife rides or im riding solo no rubbing at any articulation.

i think part of the issue is that the spacers are a little to big for the mounting points on the bus so they have a tiny bit of play. i also torqued them down more then recommended and with the new washers and spacers and took a couple trips . just took it apart a couple months ago and no obvious signs of deformation. so maybe extra torque and tighter washers did the trick.

i am curious how the bilstein shocks compare . my final thought , probably not worth the money if you have to deal with all the headache. i knew going into it that it was overkill but i wanted the wow factor having fox shocks on the bus, a lot of people ask me questions about it . its hard for them to believe fox makes shocks for the bus.

Any difference in the washers from what was supplied in the first place?

Just away to fit some to my bus, I know they are total overkill but I can be driving on dirt roads for a few hundred km's sometimes so thought I might as well be prepared
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: