Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 truck, with a twist.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
dannyX24 wrote:
73type3ute wrote:
Thanks mate. I actually pulled the 1916 twin spark out and just replaced it with a 1955 stroker

Hot damn!!! Thats a beautiful ride!!! Definitely inspiration to keep going!

I've been fighting the fuel system over the last couple days. Got a new pump wired in, getting fuel up to the injectors but no noise. Just put a voltmeter to one of the injector connections and hardly getting any juice to it. I'm on the verge of getting some carbs for it just to get it running. A good friend of mine who has a couple 914s is going to help me build a stroker engine once I free up some funds but I'd like to get it running on the stock engine in the mean time.

Have you gone thru the D-jet sticky(fuel injection relief) at the top of the forum page? There's a ton of good info in there.Unfortunately, it's many pages deep, which leads to a lot of info. Just so you know, you won't find a lot of voltage at the injectors.

I plan on building a bigger engine with carbs eventually anyway so I'm not married to the idea of keeping it. I've read a bunch of the sticky but I think it will be easier to do carbs and redo some of the old wiring.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

So after lots of kicking around different ideas, I realized the stock pan was never going to give me what I really wanted out of the car. So as much beef as I might get for this..it will check all the boxes for me. I got a 1990 Mazda Miata chassis and will be lengthening it so I can drop my truck body onto it. Scored a killer deal on the chassis and a bunch of parts including a turbo rx7 trans with an adapter to miata engines, 2 shortblocks (one rebuilt) and 2 cylinder heads.

I figured as wild as the car is already, might as well make it more wild and more to what I want. Ill get it running on a stock engine, then eventually turbo it. Then build a fully forged bottom end in my spare block to throw in at some point and turn the boost up.

That being said, I now have lots of type 3 parts for sale. Lots of brand new stuff (exhaust, brake lines, engine parts), a set of riviera, set of 4 lug sprint stars(all 15x5.5), pan with engine and auto trans(no title), complete fuel injection parts with spares, squareback glass, and more. Ill get around to making adds at some point but if you see anything in this list you want, let me know!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

If anyone is still interested in the build, there has been some progress. The miata chassis got cut and stretched. The body has been dropped on and the shop is getting everything attached. The car should be coming home in the next couple weeks so I can start on getting the engine and transmission mounted up!

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Wow, nice blending!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Looks like you're gaining on it. That's going to be different at the shows (or wherever you stop). Be prepared for questions from just about everyone. Laughing Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

I never realized how similar the front fenders are between the Ghia and the T3 until this!
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Little update. More work done on the rocker area. Strengthened the structure and lowered it to match the height on the VW body.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Your Grandpa is smiling!!! Very Happy

Are you going to fill the air vents in the rear quarter?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Your Grandpa is smiling!!! Very Happy

Are you going to fill the air vents in the rear quarter?

Thank you! No im leaving the vents. I'd like to try and figure out a hidden rear mounted radiator setup so I dont have to cut the front end for airflow. Try to keep the appearance of being air-cooled still.
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

More fab going on. Body and chassis are almost ready to start attaching. I got some bitchin old school looking steel wheels built for the car by Corsa Steelies. 15x8 with about a +25 offset so I can toss on a decent size tire.

dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Truck came home for a bit. Fab work isn't finished yet but we were at a good stopping point and I gotta recoup some money before we press on. But its looking awesome! Test fit the wheels without tires. Going to need some flares but I was counting on that.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

nice wheels Cool
dannyX24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 truck, with a twist. Reply with quote

Picked up a honda k24 for the car. Should make around 205-210 all motor. I plan on slapping a turbo on it, these engines make 350-400 pretty easy on boost. I'm planning on a responsive reliable 300ish and the car will be plenty fast enough for a while.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: