Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box instal.. so frustrated
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

So, I followed the Wolfgang instal instructions. After the box was installed, the drag link lined up, all that was left was the pinch bolt. I've spent the last hour trying to get the wheel to sit correctly with it all bolted together. The only way I can get it to sit correctly is with it like pictured, which obviously is incorrect. The detent is where the pinch bolt is through. I'm at a loss... please help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

So you just need to clock the steering wheel differently on the shaft splines, correct?
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

Center the steering box by finding the point it drags in the center

Install the drop arm on the box. It has a line on each side, one for RHD and one for LHD. There is a line on the gear box shaft that aligns with the line on the drop arm. Tighten the nut and fold the washer to lock it.

Install the steering puck between the steering shaft and the steering box.

Verify that the steering is centered, it should have a little resistance thru center and about the same number of turns to either side. Tighten the pinch bolt.

Now the steering wheel is centered to the steering box. Keep in mind that the signal cancel has to be on the correct side if the wheel looks the same each 1/2 turn. If you cannot get the steering wheel to center at the center of the steering, remove the wheel and put it on straight. Again, the wheel should be centered as you pass thru that small drag and the signal should cancel properly.

Now use the drag link to center the wheels.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Center the steering box by finding the point it drags in the center

Install the drop arm on the box. It has a line on each side, one for RHD and one for LHD. There is a line on the gear box shaft that aligns with the line on the drop arm. Tighten the nut and fold the washer to lock it.

Install the steering puck between the steering shaft and the steering box.

Verify that the steering is centered, it should have a little resistance thru center and about the same number of turns to either side. Tighten the pinch bolt.

Now the steering wheel is centered to the steering box. Keep in mind that the signal cancel has to be on the correct side if the wheel looks the same each 1/2 turn. If you cannot get the steering wheel to center at the center of the steering, remove the wheel and put it on straight. Again, the wheel should be centered as you pass thru that small drag and the signal should cancel properly.

Now use the drag link to center the wheels.

So I used these instructions..

https://wolfgangint.com/blog/68-72-vw-bus-steering-box-removal-and-installation-n50

So I'm pretty positive I did everything correctly. Until this..

My wheels were perfect and alignment perfect prior to removing the old box. The only think I can think of is to remove the steering wheel and re position it.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

If the holes don't align, you have the wrong coupling.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Please explain. I'm not seeing the logic here.

Also, there's a note on step 3 of those instructions:

Code:
NOTE: There are two different input shafts on these steering boxes with the detent 90 degrees off. If your steering wheel spokes are 90 degrees off you will correct that by removing the mount bolts from the rubber coupler and repositioning it 90 degrees.

If I'm reading this correctly, you got a box with a different detent. You'll need to rotate the coupler 90 degrees (coupler and shaft, on the steering shaft side), then bolt it up, then you would adjust your steering wheel 90 degrees to compensate.

Someone please check me on that, but I think it's correct.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Code:
NOTE: There are two different input shafts on these steering boxes with the detent 90 degrees off. If your steering wheel spokes are 90 degrees off you will correct that by removing the mount bolts from the rubber coupler and repositioning it 90 degrees.

If I'm reading this correctly, you got a box with a different detent. You'll need to rotate the coupler 90 degrees (coupler and shaft, on the steering shaft side), then bolt it up, then you would adjust your steering wheel 90 degrees to compensate.

At this point, it seems that's the only solution. Since, if I rotate 90, the shaft and coupler are misaligned, then another 90, which is 180. I'm back in the same boat as I begun. So, the only think I can think of is to bolt the coupler to the input shaft (which is confirmed ceneter) then bolt the rubber boot in properly. The wheel will be misaligned. Then go for a quick drive and pull in strait. Then pop the wheel and re align.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

Yes, ZF slotted the yokes 90* differently on some boxes; I don’t know the differentiation or why.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

Are you 100% sure that when you took it apart , the arm was aligned with the LHD position?
So now you have it assembled correctly, the steering wheel needs to be taken off and rotated to match the correctly installed box.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Code:

If the bolts go through two opposing holes then the coupler is fine. There are many different couplers out there and the wrong one might come close to fitting and cause irritation if the hole were a 1/16 of an inch off

Yes the two yokes need to be at 90° to each other. You need to center the steering box using the drag link as necessary and then install the steering wheel so it aligns correctly when the vehicle is going straight down a flat road with minimal winds.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box instal.. so frustrated Reply with quote

one side of the drop arm has a line and LHD, the other a line and RHD. That line has to line up with this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Frankly, I would disconnect the drag link, put the steering box to center, and put the steering coupler on where it fits, Then I would turn the steering wheel and make 100% sure I felt drag thru the center thus proving that I was on center. That little rubber bushing with the nub on it for center can be turned off center or put back on off center easily. Then if I felt the drag at the center proving I was on center, I would pull the steering wheel and put it back on so it was straight ahead. Then connect the drag link so the wheels are straight ahead. Just remember that the steering wheel can be 180 off and look right but the signals won't cancel properly.

It is a heck of a lot easier to feel the drag thru center with the drag link off the steering rather than on the steering. That is why I keep saying do the box first. As to WI, I wasn't impressed by their torsion arms 10 years ago and should have just put new boots on the ones I had. The ones from them were really poor. I also bought a draglink there and had to return it because it had so much play. I still have a store credit from that there 10 years later. I am not flaming them, it was just my mistake to give them 4 good arms that only needed boots really, and then go thru 3 or 4 boxes of rebuilt arms to get 4 that were in reasonable condition. It took 3,000 miles until the steering even began to work right, as they were too tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: