Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Just my opinion that is just a guess:

If I was going after a MPG engine I wouldn't worry about the crank being counterbalanced or not. I would focus on balancing everything. Vibration is wasted energy. I would use the lightest pistons with the thinnest ring pack I could use.

Tight tolerances, very light oil. How much HP is wasted pushing that 20/50 tar some people like to use?

Mild cam, light spring pressures. Maybe light beehives so you can go lighter on the nose pressure.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Just an observation but using a center mount carb is never going to be as efficient as duals.
........................................................................................................................................ very true, i might later on go with dual carbs. but for now my goal is to use a stock vw carb . i will never drive my vw in the winter only in the summer . so a pre heated manifold dont bother me i am going to run a header and they dont do much good on preheating the manifold . in the book on how to hot rod vws it saysto block the intake manifold from getting heat .they said it gave 2 more HP. on there stuska dyno . i will take the extra 2 HP lol . a center carb is easy to work with and tune . most of the vws at shows run a center mount carb . i am trying to keep this build simple . thanks for your input spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Just my opinion that is just a guess:

If I was going after a MPG engine I wouldn't worry about the crank being counterbalanced or not. I would focus on balancing everything. Vibration is wasted energy. I would use the lightest pistons with the thinnest ring pack I could use.

Tight tolerances, very light oil. How much HP is wasted pushing that 20/50 tar some people like to use?

Mild cam, light spring pressures. Maybe light beehives so you can go lighter on the nose pressure.
................................................................................................................................................my self i all ways use straight 30 weight oil .. x2 on a good balancing of the motor . i am thinking about using alum rods . all of are drag race motors used alum. rod . they make a motor free rev . thanks for your input spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
oprn wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand how more rotating mass could help fuel mileage. It just goes against all laws of physics and common sense. I think you need to lighten absolutely everything you can that moves from the driver right down through wheels, tires, fenders, hood, flywheel, crank, rods, pistons to and including the valve train.

It takes energy to put and keep objects in motion - period! You cannot get around that fact!

Perfectly Said!!!

Some like the way weight helps when coasting, and forget that at some point, we need to spend horsepower to get that weight moving/turning again, and that is more hp needed then when in the same situation with lighter parts.
....................................................................................................................................i feal the same way you do . when i raced my mazda m5 turbo i installed a light fly wheel it helped the motor pull better comming out of corners and reaved up faster thanks for your input spencerfvee ps all i can do is put the motor together and see what happen if it does not do the job on mpg i will say so .i will tell it like it is. i was talking to gene berg at a vw show in ohio and we got to talking about thigs to did not work out on vw motors he said he was working on a set of high lift rackers and they just did not do what he wanted them to do he got mad and tosed them agaist the wall where they sat for 5 years every one has had parts that did not work out . this motor might turn out to be a big turd and run like shit lol lol hay big deal start over spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
NO spencer No!!!!! Not an empi carb! If you would have waited a little bit longer heck, i would sold you a discounted restored carb!
....................................................................................................................................oh god i know i know but i am not going to run it long . i am going to find a new pict 34 bocar carb .i have made the empi carbs run on buggy motors like a said i got rid of all the china crap on the carb and replaced it with solex parts . i have a friend that want the pict 30 casrb when i am done with it spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
What are you doing to the intake manifold? Alstrup says to open up the vertical section 1.5mm down to the Y for more mid range torque, in another thread
....................................................................................................................................myself io dont know why they put that what you call a Y.. my self i take a long cutter and i open the hole bigger and leave the y alone on both sides of the intake manifold thanks for the info spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
oprn wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand how more rotating mass could help fuel mileage. It just goes against all laws of physics and common sense. I think you need to lighten absolutely everything you can that moves from the driver right down through wheels, tires, fenders, hood, flywheel, crank, rods, pistons to and including the valve train.

It takes energy to put and keep objects in motion - period! You cannot get around that fact!

Perfectly Said!!!

Some like the way weight helps when coasting, and forget that at some point, we need to spend horsepower to get that weight moving/turning again, and that is more hp needed then when in the same situation with lighter parts.

I think what we are up against here is those that still believe in perpetual motion. Well - I wish it were true but friction and heat kind of raise thier ugly heads every time and spoil the fun.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Not perpetual motion Laughing
Reduced bearing loading means reduced friction.
Will that happen? Probably not. But maybe. As a basic idea the crank mass is proportional to the stiffness, but that can be broken if the crank is lightened in particular ways.

But if we talk about reducing the mass of the rods and pistons I don't think you would have any objection.

What about the RATIO of the rotating to the reciprocating masses.
A VW engine with a heavy crank and light pistons and rods is super smooth and quiet. Vibration and noise is caused by lost energy right?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Just an observation but using a center mount carb is never going to be as efficient as duals.
........................................................................................................................................ very true, i might later on go with dual carbs. but for now my goal is to use a stock vw carb . i will never drive my vw in the winter only in the summer . so a pre heated manifold dont bother me i am going to run a header and they dont do much good on preheating the manifold . in the book on how to hot rod vws it saysto block the intake manifold from getting heat .they said it gave 2 more HP. on there stuska dyno . i will take the extra 2 HP lol . a center carb is easy to work with and tune . most of the vws at shows run a center mount carb . i am trying to keep this build simple . thanks for your input spencerfvee

You will need to choose then between mileage and power. I can assure you from past experiance that following that advice given in the "Hot Rod Your VW" book is not the path to better mileage. Been there, done that and not only did it decrease my mileage, it also decreased my drivability around town. I too used to get 34 mpg in my stock Beetle when I first got it but the more I followed the popular mods of the day the worse it got!

Let me give you something to think about. There is a myth repeated here over and over again that dual carbs yield better fuel economy. I can tell you that in the beginning of days for the air cooled VW it was not so and it doesn't need to be so!

This belief is not totally unfounded, it has come about through two things in my view. The first is the belief that the heat riser is only to prevent carb ice in the winter so can be abandoned completely in weather above freezing. This is completely, totally and absolutely FALSE!! It's purpose is to help keep the fuel mixture uniformly mixed and as close to vaporized as possible insuring the most efficient burn.

The second thing that has happened to support this belief is the stampede to aftermarket exhaust systems the vast majority of which do not give any or very little flow through the heat riser. This resulted in center mounted carb fuel economy and drivability that was substandard. This has been going on so long now that almost no one remembers what these engines were like as supplied by VW! So yes! Dual carbs get better fuel mileage than the vast majority of improperly set up and tuned singe carb engines found today...

I personally would put up a PROPERLY set up center mounted carb against twin carbs on the MILEAGE front any day of the week with full confidence it would hold it's own!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Well said. However, both sgl and dual carbs can do well on the fuel efficiency side. Most people feel that it is easier with duals, because for some weird reason the stock carbs and intake system is massively misunderstood, as you also point out.
An old friend of mine, from who I learned a lot, had a ī67 or 68 1500S type 3 many years ago. He was an ace with carbs and he understood the VW engine better than most. He had no problem averaging 15 km/l in daily driving. Bear in mind that that was while most other did something like 11,5-12 km/l.
Making an engine that will do 34 mpg or better (approx 14,5 km/l) after the KISS method will take some effort, but lets see where it goes.
On the other hand, if you go into heating up the intake air and leaning it out and adjsting the vacum timing accordingly you can come a long way. I have done 40 mpg (17 km/l) with detailed 1600īs and over 45 mpg (20 km/l) with detailed 1200 engines. In type 1īs that is. Ghiaīs are somewhat easier. 37 mpg out of a nice and not too specīd out 1600 is quite easy. The last 3 mpg is much more work.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
. . . thanks for your input spencerfvee ps what was your best mpg reading ? thanks

My best highway mileage was a fuzz over 40 mpg. City driving usually got me low 30's mpg.

I'd just like to add that if I had to do it again, I think Alstrup's plan of using a heavy crank pulley with a lightened flywheel is the way to go. I like the idea of having as close to the same amount of mass at both ends of the crankshaft as possible, instead of all the weight at one end, and very little at the other.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Well said. However, both sgl and dual carbs can do well on the fuel efficiency side. Most people feel that it is easier with duals, because for some weird reason the stock carbs and intake system is massively misunderstood, as you also point out.
An old friend of mine, from who I learned a lot, had a ī67 or 68 1500S type 3 many years ago. He was an ace with carbs and he understood the VW engine better than most. He had no problem averaging 15 km/l in daily driving. Bear in mind that that was while most other did something like 11,5-12 km/l.
Making an engine that will do 34 mpg or better (approx 14,5 km/l) after the KISS method will take some effort, but lets see where it goes.
On the other hand, if you go into heating up the intake air and leaning it out and adjsting the vacum timing accordingly you can come a long way. I have done 40 mpg (17 km/l) with detailed 1600īs and over 45 mpg (20 km/l) with detailed 1200 engines. In type 1īs that is. Ghiaīs are somewhat easier. 37 mpg out of a nice and not too specīd out 1600 is quite easy. The last 3 mpg is much more work.
............................................................................................................................ ok alstrup i get it what you posted ,since i am running a header and a after market intake . and you say i got to have heat on the intake manifold . to make mpg how about a stock vw air cleaner . that has a adjustable thermostat built into the stock air cleaner . i could tune it to have some heat all the time to preheat the intake manifold i think the air cleaner came on a 1973 bug not 100% sure . . this mpg is becoming a pain in the ass .its way easer to build a high performance motor than a mpg motor as my grandma all ways said be care full what you wish for lol lol or i could use a stock pict 34 intake manifold and stock muffler . i would have to cut the stock muffler a part and do the things that the old ralley guys did in the 1970s vw ralley cars thanks spencerfvee
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Yes, trimming the hot air mix is the way to go, especially with a header.

Storytime. Smile This has absolutely nothing to do with chasing mpg as such, but bear with me.
Some years back I was approached by a guy who had a ī71 vert which was imported from the States (but thatīs not the story) The story is that they got it MOTīd much to my surprise, because when it came here it ran like crap to put it mildly. The previus owners had done just about everything they could to make it run better. What they had done in reality was making it run worse. Soo, first things first:
The preheat was cut off of the manifold because they were clogged anyway (accoring to owner)
The stock DVDA dizzy was replaced by a knock off 009.
Plug wires had 4,5 K Ohm resistance. (Belonged on a Mazda or something.)
The muffler was about the worst period stock look alike period piece of crap I had seen for a long time period.
Finally the carb had seen better days.

A compression check showed that the engine itself was in reasonably good shape, so it was worth throwing some money after it.
So out came the engine. Intake manifold was replaced with a good used, - with - heat risers. Muffler was replaced with a decent Ernst muffler. I rebuilt a 113 905 205S distributor and added electronic points. (I donīt like points) along with replacing the ignition coil to an appropriate for the rest, and replaced the ignition wires to some std Bosch 1 K Ohm and regapped the plugs. I also cleaned the oil bath mesh since it looked like nobody had done that for a decade or so. Carburettor was of course also cleaned and jets checked and verified.
Engine back in. Ran miles better than before, but still had some off idle and midrange stumble. Carb off again. Increased main jet by 0,25. Better, but still not acceptable. Shortened the timing curve to 10-30 mechanical. Now the midrange hesitation was just about gone. Aircleaner off and recheck the mixer thermostat. It was a little low, so I adjusted it to 10 degrees C. hotter intake air on cruise and low speed. Bingo! Now the engine ran smooth everywhere.
This was a full 2 day job, but it often takes much longer to fix a problem others have tried to remedy the cheap and easy way.

Bottom line is that yes, the hot air intake can definitely be played with to get the final result perfect.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
. . . this mpg is becoming a pain in the ass .its way easer to build a high performance motor than a mpg motor as my grandma all ways said be care full what you wish for lol lol . . .

Don't give up on it just yet!

When I built my MPG motor, I did everything I could think of to improve the efficiency, but I barely gave the power output a second thought.

You know what?

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, while my new engine had achieved a 33% increase in fuel efficiency, it had also achieved a 50% increase in horse power!

And you're right, it wasn't easy. Or cheap!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yes, trimming the hot air mix is the way to go, especially with a header.

Storytime. Smile This has absolutely nothing to do with chasing mpg as such, but bear with me.
Some years back I was approached by a guy who had a ī71 vert which was imported from the States (but thatīs not the story) The story is that they got it MOTīd much to my surprise, because when it came here it ran like crap to put it mildly. The previus owners had done just about everything they could to make it run better. What they had done in reality was making it run worse. Soo, first things first:
The preheat was cut off of the manifold because they were clogged anyway (accoring to owner)
The stock DVDA dizzy was replaced by a knock off 009.
Plug wires had 4,5 K Ohm resistance. (Belonged on a Mazda or something.)
The muffler was about the worst period stock look alike period piece of crap I had seen for a long time period.
Finally the carb had seen better days.

A compression check showed that the engine itself was in reasonably good shape, so it was worth throwing some money after it.
So out came the engine. Intake manifold was replaced with a good used, - with - heat risers. Muffler was replaced with a decent Ernst muffler. I rebuilt a 113 905 205S distributor and added electronic points. (I donīt like points) along with replacing the ignition coil to an appropriate for the rest, and replaced the ignition wires to some std Bosch 1 K Ohm and regapped the plugs. I also cleaned the oil bath mesh since it looked like nobody had done that for a decade or so. Carburettor was of course also cleaned and jets checked and verified.
Engine back in. Ran miles better than before, but still had some off idle and midrange stumble. Carb off again. Increased main jet by 0,25. Better, but still not acceptable. Shortened the timing curve to 10-30 mechanical. Now the midrange hesitation was just about gone. Aircleaner off and recheck the mixer thermostat. It was a little low, so I adjusted it to 10 degrees C. hotter intake air on cruise and low speed. Bingo! Now the engine ran smooth everywhere.
This was a full 2 day job, but it often takes much longer to fix a problem others have tried to remedy the cheap and easy way.

Bottom line is that yes, the hot air intake can definitely be played with to get the final result perfect.
.................................................................................................................................................... hi alstrup i get it .after reading your post .heres what i am going to do .first off i am lowering my goal. i now am after 30mpg . my real go is to have a nice running street motor . i looked back at what my brand new 1971 super got for mpg it got around from 22 to 25 mpg ./ i then put in a 130 main jet it got from 23 to 29 mpg . it was a formula vee package for a bug it had vw formula vee ex. tips in the muffler that might have helped on back pressure . i am putting this motor together just like a stock bug . motor stock muffler gutted stock pea shooters tips i am going to run the after market intake manifold pict 34 carb stock air cleaner with preheat stock crank stock fly wheel and have fun with it and see how it runs . i want a simple motor thanks spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
. . . this mpg is becoming a pain in the ass .its way easer to build a high performance motor than a mpg motor as my grandma all ways said be care full what you wish for lol lol . . .

Don't give up on it just yet!

When I built my MPG motor, I did everything I could think of to improve the efficiency, but I barely gave the power output a second thought.

You know what?

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, while my new engine had achieved a 33% increase in fuel efficiency, it had also achieved a 50% increase in horse power!

And you're right, it wasn't easy. Or cheap!
............................................................................................................thanks i needed your post . i think one can get cared away . trying to build a mpg motor like you said in your post . i am going to build it like a stock motor but add to it . with parts that might help mpg . this build has been fun its snowing out side . so i have all winter to get this build down hell i might change things later on lol lol you know its realy nice that every one posted how they would build there mpg motors thanks every one spencerfvee
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

No idea if it makes a difference in MPG at all, but almost everything I build gets a CW crank that's balanced with a lightened flywheel. The actual weight gain is very little, and the weight is where it's needed.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

[quote="esde"]No idea if it makes a difference in MPG at all, but almost everything I build gets a CW crank that's balanced with a lightened flywheel. The actual weight gain is very little, and the weight is where it's needed.[/quote.....................................................................................................................................its like this theres people that stand by a CW crank and there people that like stock cranks ... when i worked in a vw shop we sold more stock cranks than CW cranks . most went into pipe buggy motors . street dune buggies some vw cars .. i think why we sold more stock cranks was because they were cheaper than a CW crank . for me a stock crank will work . because its not going over 4,500 rpm . i will be going 3,500 rpm on the high way spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Back when I had my '71 Super Beetle (34 mpg) I followed the How To Hot Rod your VW book to the letter. Yes I removed the thermostat, blocked the heat riser, bought a 009, extractor exhaust, Holley Bug Spray carb, threw away the stock air cleaner and I gained a bit of power - maybe 4 or 5 HP. But just like the Beetle Alstrup told us about (he described my Beetle perfectly), it ran like total CRAP at anything less than full throttle. It was virtually undrivable in the winter and mileage was in the 15 mpg range!

Also if you are truly committed to a mileage engine do not forget to put a thermostat and flaps back on. It is vital to keep that engine hot enough to run on a lean mileage mixture! I know you will say otherwise but even in summer weather a VW engine without temperature control will run too cold at light throttle and a cold engine will always require a fat mixture to run smoothly.

...And of course a properly matched vacuum advance assisted distributor. Building a mileage engine is not that hard but it does require sheading the "1/4 mile time is God" mentality.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Back when I had my '71 Super Beetle (34 mpg) I followed the How To Hot Rod your VW book to the letter. Yes I removed the thermostat, blocked the heat riser, bought a 009, extractor exhaust, Holley Bug Spray carb, threw away the stock air cleaner and I gained a bit of power - maybe 4 or 5 HP. But just like the Beetle Alstrup told us about (he described my Beetle perfectly), it ran like total CRAP at anything less than full throttle. It was virtually undrivable in the winter and mileage was in the 15 mpg range!

Also if you are truly committed to a mileage engine do not forget to put a thermostat and flaps back on. It is vital to keep that engine hot enough to run on a lean mileage mixture! I know you will say otherwise but even in summer weather a VW engine without temperature control will run too cold at light throttle and a cold engine will always require a fat mixture to run smoothly.

...And of course a properly matched vacuum advance assisted distributor. Building a mileage engine is not that hard but it does require sheading the "1/4 mile time is God" mentality.
.......................................................................................................................oh yea holley bug spray carbs i use the bug spray on my 1967 bug and my 68 bug i used heat to the manifold and did not remove the flaps . i even drag raced the bug spray carbs . i worked with chuck who worked for holley carb co back in 1969 i saw chuck at a drag race .we became friends. i helped him rebuild holley carbs for drag racer. i learned a lot about holley carbs . in turn he gave me 4 bug spray carbs jets . and i used them on my race car i did my bug to run 13.75 in the1/4 mile with dual holley bug spray carbs .it was a 1835 motor in a 1964 bug drag car i would shift at 7,000 rpms . i got the bug sprays to run well . guys would try to run the 300cfm carb on a stock motor some times using a open plenum manifold . and that made for a over rich cond. they run like shit .i used the 200cfm bug spray carb on a isolated runner manifold setting the carb up with 1lbs fuel pressure and lowering the float in the carb .i used a mallory dizy. set up with 12 degs. int. all in by 32degs,total i used a header that had 1 3/8 tube it ran ok i got 22 mpg and 16 mpg around town i ran high test gas that cost 55 cents a gal. lol holley bug sprays carbs are not that great of a carb . later on i found weber carbs . at the vw shop that i worked at people from time to time would bring there street cars in with a bug spray carb on there motor lol and they think its a great carb lol i am lucky the vw shop i used to work at lets me use there shop to build my motors . i am a big fan of keeping the working flaps in my motors and all sheet metal . . spencerfvee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: