Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2662, 2663, 2664 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
chris henry wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
Have at it Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2521320
Seen quite of the repair metal and it’s good stuff. If it’s put together well and you can find the corner window secretions then you are way ahead of the game. A clapped out rusty turd of a 23 is going to costs more than that and then you have to start shoving buckets of money to replace the shot metal with this stuff. May as well buy this and save yourself the hassle.
My biggest concern would be... How do you register it without catching felony charges? then there is the fact that if you register it as a kit car or other type of vehicle will it have the resale value of a real German built 23 window bus?
Here in Ohio, where hes building them) it could be registered as a homebuilt as long as you can provide receipts for all the major parts. It would be titled as a 2022 VW Bus and as such exempt from historical license plates, etc.
I believe it is similar here in Idaho. You have to pay a small fee to the DMV to send someone out to stamp the VIN number for you.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
Have at it Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2521320

Seen quite of the repair metal and it’s good stuff. If it’s put together well and you can find the corner window secretions then you are way ahead of the game. A clapped out rusty turd of a 23 is going to costs more than that and then you have to start shoving buckets of money to replace the shot metal with this stuff. May as well buy this and save yourself the hassle.

My biggest concern would be... How do you register it without catching felony charges? then there is the fact that if you register it as a kit car or other type of vehicle will it have the resale value of a real German built 23 window bus?

People are basically building vehicles around VIN numbers all the time, look at all those plastic Porsches out there titles as 1971 VWs or whatever. They are using just the very rear of the tunnel where the VIN is stamped. I suppose a person could “restore” a clapped out pile of rust by welding in one of these around the engine surround.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lots of ways to get a new homebuilt vehicle registered legally. The trouble starts when people try to get sneaky with vin swaps, fake vin plates, passing it off as an original, etc. Brookville roadster (also in Ohio) has been manufacturing all the steel body panels and frame components for late 20s-early 30s Fords for years now. I believe you can buy a completed body from them and then just bolt it to one of their frames. Pretty much the same situation as these bus bodies.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

If you want some interesting reading on the topic, search: "ship of Theseus" fraud
California does not like it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
If you want some interesting reading on the topic, search: "ship of Theseus" fraud

That's funny, I mentioned these new bus bodies to my wife last night and she said "That sounds like 'George Washingtons Axe' to me.". Very Happy
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
Lind wrote:

That's funny, I mentioned these new bus bodies to my wife last night and she said "That sounds like 'George Washingtons Axe' to me.". Very Happy

See also the "This Kombi is not scrap" thread, VW38, etc etc.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2505253

Ok, so 125k Euros equals 143k US. So many basic clean Kombis are for sale are for sale at $45k US. (A stupid price to me but its a starting point). But this guy wants an additional $100k US for solar panels, CNG and a home made camper interior. At some point you must assume this guy thinks people on the Samba are so stupid that they will pay $100k for a couple solar panels, a CNG capable engine and a homemade interior.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

There’s some interesting hackage on this poor thing-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2521661
I guess rear aprons are hard to come by in Europe. And the headliner is a new one on me. Oh, and the grab handle. Interesting Think

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:

I guess rear aprons are hard to come by in Europe.

Very strange. Looks like they've deleted the rear tin too and made an all-in-one panel. Doubt there's any kind of seal to stop hot air from under the engine rising in to the engine bay.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
cru62 wrote:

I guess rear aprons are hard to come by in Europe.

Very strange. Looks like they've deleted the rear tin too and made an all-in-one panel. Doubt there's any kind of seal to stop hot air from under the engine rising in to the engine bay.

My guess, they put an industrial engine in this DC and extended the industrial tin rather than replace it with the proper bus tin.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2521955

110 Euros (not including shipping from France?) for what appears from the photos to be a reprint of the SO-42 owners instruction manual. Real originals in nice used condition might, MIGHT be worthy of that price, but this is clearly a new or recent reprint. Every original manual, even NOS shows some patina, yellowing of the paper. This clearly does not. Way over-priced IMHO, but good luck to the seller...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Agree it's a reprint.

I clicked on the link to look at it before reading your comments and immediately though it was too white to be an original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Gotta wonder what it looks like under the “beautiful smooth paint“. Judging by the cargo door rocker and PS dogleg “beautiful” wouldn’t be used-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2522017

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

hgandmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Any opinions about the 21 that went for 140k at Mecum and the buyer didn't sell.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Everyone has to have a dream. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

yeah....no.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2522315

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

duhbrr wrote:
yeah....no.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2522315

Yeah, I saw this one pop up on our local FB Marketplace. It was listed for $7k obo two weeks ago. I didn't realize it was a rare 7 window bus. Very Happy
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
FarmerBill wrote:
Lind wrote:

See also the "This Kombi is not scrap" thread, VW38, etc etc.

that is why buying a nice bus / car / whatever that's always been nice and taken care of is the way to go
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

that is why buying a nice bus / car / whatever that's always been nice and taken care of is the way to go

I have a hard time finding nice buses that have always been taken care of, let alone for a good price. That's my whine.

The panelvan looks like it has SWR in the front, not dove blue. hm Hackage and/or dents in the back?
I see a 1600dp engine, they says there is a number matching engine, I don't see a 36hhp. Is the og engine number stamped be on later engine.
Anyhow, it does look dry and a good start, but the $35K price is way high for what it is.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I have a hard time finding nice buses that have always been taken care of, let alone for a good price. That's my whine.

The panelvan looks like it has SWR in the front, not dove blue. hm Hackage and/or dents in the back?
I see a 1600dp engine, they says there is a number matching engine, I don't see a 36hhp. Is the og engine number stamped be on later engine.
Anyhow, it does look dry and a good start, but the $35K price is way high for what it is.

If you think the $35k price is way high, you do have options. He did graciously offer to take nice, non-project Porsche 356’s in on trade for it, if you’ve got a few of those laying around. Partial trade only, mind you, and he’d have to think about it, given the *rarity* of that 7 window bus and all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2662, 2663, 2664 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2663 of 2710

Jump to: