Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear torsion hellhole. Help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gergokocsis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I've been stuck in this hellish nightmare for weeks. I wanted to adjust the rear torsion bars and replace the ancient bushings on my '58 beetle and everything went fine on the driver's side but the passenger side springplate won't budge a milimeter, I can't take it off. My spring plates are not the open type plates where you can see the splines and the end of the torsion bar if you take off the spring plate caps, so I couldn't soak it in penetrating oil.

I've tried everything that I've read in other threads. I've heated it numerous times, I've tried hammering the backside of the plate, I used crowbars; one on the bottom edge, one on the top but it doesn't move a bit. My most ingenious idea that made everything worse was that if I drill the end of the springplate where the torsion bar spline sits inside, I could fill it with penetrating oil and then I could take it off. Well, I guess it didn't work because 1/2 inch in and I didn't find any gaps that could be filled, so I guess I've drilled a hole in the torsion bar too so I couldn't even bolt everything back in worst case scenario because a 1/2 inch hole in the torsion bar is pretty dangerous.

I've read that if I take out the driver's side bar, I could hammer out the passenger torsion bar from the driver's side with a rod. Well, that didn't help either. I've soaked it in wd40 for days, and i had a 20 kilo iron bar that I've hammered the rod with, but it doesn't move.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone know what to do? Any ideas? I don't care if I have to destroy the torsion bar even, I just want to get it out somehow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

You're not going to like what I have to suggest, but it may be the only way in your case.

Cut the center splined section and the stuck torsion bar out of your pan and weld in an adjustable center section.
Only one of many vendors selling them...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS986U...TKlTfC4GxM

That and of course get two new torsion bars and spring plates.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

I had a similar issue on my -59, but slightly different, my bars were stuck in the springplate but released from the center section in the pan.

There is a cap, maybe 3mm thick, in the end of the pipe part of the springplate that covers the splined section of the bar, i cold chiseled that plate off, and then i could soak it in WD40 and hammer the bar out of the spring plate, i used a sacrificial socket to pound on, as the bar is below the pipe section of the spring plate.

Your situation is even more complicated as the entire assembly is still on the pan, but if you can get the cap off and beat the plate off of the bar you´re at least getting somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

WD40? That won't do anything. Use Kroil or PB Blaster.
gergokocsis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

The cutting out the splined center and welding in a torsion adjuster idea is hard to hear but it is the only option if everything else fails.
Before that I could try to cold chizel the top of the plate pipe to reach the splines. Thank you for the ideas!

Maybe I'll try to make a pusher device that could be mounted on the drivers's side, a thick metal square that could be mounted on the four spring plate cap nut holes and a threaded rod that reaches the passenger side bar that could be fed trough the center of the metal square with a welded nut. If I fasten the rod it may push out the sucker.

Something like this:

Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Looks like the fenders are still on.

Pretty hard to swing a heavy hammer to drift the torsion bar out the far side with fenders attached.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Kroil for sure, that stuff works wonders!!!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

I would try a cut off wheel on a grinder and slice it long ways if it release's great, if not, soak more, try not to cut bar, don't cut all the way thru, but possible the bar is badly rusted so junk any way.
Also after cutting you could put plate down on ground and let weight of car help loosen and twist,jump on bumper?
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

I was about to say exactly the same thing. The WD in WD 40 stands for water dispersing. It is not and never has been a penetrant.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

I had the the identical issue with my 58 too. I ended up using a slide hammer and pulling it out, as opposed to pushing it or trying to pry it out.

I welded a bracket to the torsion bar, bolted in the slide hammer and after many attempts it eventually came free. It took many hours of hammering as well as prying.

I also used a spring compressor to physically lift the spring plate, which assisted with prying it out as it wasn't wedged against the lip. Hope that makes sense. Not sure I have a photo of spring compressor, however will try to hunt it down.

I also tried to push it out as you've suggested from the other side with no success. I also turned it on it's side and left oil it it for days and again, no change.

It would have suffered corrision which is why it's wedged in there sadly.

devs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Found it!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Agree that the fenders need to come off.

Slide hammer just may work.

I also suggest using a torch at the center of the torsion housing. But don't set the car on fire!

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Remove the compression tool & Pry the spring plate off the stop so it drops down, there is enough deflection in the spring plate to do this. KEEP ALL APPENDAGES CLEAR OF THE DOWNWARD TRAVEL OF THE SPRING PLATE AS YOU DO THIS!!!! This will relieve the additional friction on the splines induced by the spring tension.

If you don’t care about the spring plate, cut the tube protruding out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gergokocsis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I was busy for a few weeks but I got around to tackle the problem at last. Back in february I bought a lot of rust penetrant and tilted the car sideways as much I could with stands and jacks and soaked the torsion bar head for weeks, I tought I will try the hammering for the last time before I start to cut anything.
I've used lots of different big hammers in the past but I've bought the biggest one I could find for this. I made a quick holder that makes sure the metal rod stays in place and wont destroy the splines inside the torsion tube and a couple of whacks later it came loose at last.
So it turned out the Get a bigger hammer mindset worked after all and I didn't get to take any drastic steps.

Thank you all for your tips and advises, I can sleep well tonight!
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion hellhole. Help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Could you please give me some feedback as if I would still need to remove the beam to adjust the torsion bar on my bug. Seems like I don’t since this kit has some moveable part to it. Haven’t found a video with this kind.

Thanks so much. I tried taking out the bug but it’s too low for the bumps (see YouTube video link.

Thank you so much vdub community!

https://youtube.com/shorts/ST9kx7U_0w8?feature=share

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: