Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's my TCM?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
PhilippDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Hi all

So I have this "jumpy" transmission problem between first and second as per my previous post: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9786453

My mechanic said it's probably what's described in this tech bulletin: http://rialtainfo.com/vw/vw_images/tech_bulletin_01-98-05.pdf

In the bulletin, it says for "4 Speed Auto. Trans. with Digimat 2.1 TCM"

But someone else alerted me to the fact that the bulletin does not apply to my 2003 Eurovan with TCM 01P927733CM as this is a newer model with newer firmware.

Three questions:
a) Can anyone confirm what version of "Digimat" I have? Couldn't find that anywhere...
b) Do you think the technical bulletin applies and the workaround would fix the problem (if I ever found that cable ZVW311100)?
c) Or would a firmware reset for the TCM help and if yes, how would that be done?

Hoping that someone with a passion for TCMs is reading this Wink

THANKS!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

I believe that TSP is for the 098 transmissions, while you have an 01P. I recently fixed a friend's '00 EVC which was having some intermittent 2-3 shifting issues by swapping in a rebuilt valve body and a new wiring ribbon.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
PhilippDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply... So I guess that tech bulletin solution would not be the cause for the jumpy transmission...and the workaround not help. Although my voltage readings are off...

I already swapped the valve body and did an oil change - exact same problem persisted. Hence I think it's more likely with the TCM. Would replacing it help? Or is there a way to reset the firmware - any ideas?

This is like a mystery hobby to own a EuroVan in the US...[/i]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Did you also replace the ribbon?

y u rune klassik?
PhilippDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

No… do you know the part number of that one? The problem with shifting is only between first and second though…

Is there a firmware reset or am I getting that wrong (I don’t mean the fuzzy logic transmission reset)?

Thanks for all your help!!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

I think this is the ribbon I installed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262777396750

When I installed these pieces, I just ran a simple OBD2 scan to ensure that they weren't throwing a code and all was good. I have VCDS, but that wasn't required to get the parts to play well with the TCM.

y u rune klassik?
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Good luck .sorry I can't help at all but I agree with your statement about owning a Eurovan in the USA is a mystery club w a few strange and diverse members.. Good Luck in your quest.. Bill
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

The 01P trans-axle is a mysterious thing. I agree that an immaculately rebuilt valve body and a non-Chinese replacement ribbon are key! Find a OEM trans communication ribbon, German-made, if you can! We had problems with our re-build trans until these things were sorted.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Apparently there are rebuilt valve bodies and then there are "rebuilt" valve bodies. The unit I installed had reamed and re-sleeved plunger bores. I assume there are outfits that simply R&R old parts for new with no concern paid to wear in the bores. I have a spare 01P here that was having some funky 1->2 shifts, and I plan to do the same valve body/ribbon swap to see if it resolves the issue.

y u rune klassik?
PhilippDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

Hi all - thanks so much for "feeling my pain" Wink

So the van has been with a VW mechanic for three days now, still "diagnosing"... The thing is that after a TCM reset and a throttle body alignment the transmission shift perfectly even between 1st and 2nd. Then after some time it goes back to "jumping" between 1st and 2nd. VW technician now saying that it's a faulty transmission once it reaches operating temperature and would need replacing to fix the issue. But I am still not convinced as post throttle-alignment everything works fine for some time.

Anyway, just throwing this out here in case there are some other thoughts!
PhilippDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

...is changing the throttle body an option?
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my TCM? Reply with quote

PhilippDC wrote:
...is changing the throttle body an option?

Yep, sure sounds like the position feedback from the throttle body is going wonky.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: