Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm hole for the oil cooler? What and how type of oil cooler should I mount on the engine. The engine number is u5078859. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by skiter8198 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Looks normal to me.
Tho I'd think a "universal" case would have a 8mm stud for the oil cooler, is that a 6mm stud? I can't really tell but it looks a bit small. Maybe it is a step stud
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Modok, it’s definitely a six MM stud
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

That looks normal. Use the same size seals.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

I agree with Modok that it might be a step stud. I had a universal case with what I thought was a 6mm stud and it was a step stud 8mm-6mm.
If it’s a universal case, dual oil relief and you’re wanting an upright Type1 then an offset oil cooler set would be best.

Last edited by 69aircooled on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Definitely not a step stud, I just pulled a stud out of the case.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

perhaps it is a type-3 case
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Wow! Is that the lone stud at the oil cooler mount?
Where is the case number stamped on your case?
Seems like Type 3 cases were stamped on top along the seam and not at the front on the gen stand.
Another thing, a universal case will have a dip stick like beetle/bus and a type 3 case will not. The Type3 will only have the lower hole to the right of the oil pump for the bolt on oil fill/dip stick.
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Maybe it is a type 3 case. It is not stamped on the front but it is stamped on the top U5078859.
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Yep, no type 1 style dipstick, but it does and a hole on the lower right and the upper left for the oil pump.

69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

I should have been more specific, the type3 oil fill/dip stick hole is in the lower right corner of the case sump, maybe an 1” in diameter with 2 studs. Looks like you do have a t3 case there.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

I ran a Type3 case in a beetle for about 8 years once. Not the ideal setup, but I had this dip stick setup.

Chuck67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Those are normal holes for the oil cooler. The seals are the same size and fit right in. Again totally normal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skiter8198
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Cool dipstick adapter! Maybe I will still use the case.
I really thought it was an some type universal case, because it has the holes tapped for a mustache bar. Do type 3 use a mustache bar mount?
Can I still ran a doghouse cooler, I thought it was really weird that one hole was an 8 mm and one was a 10 mm for the oil cooler. Anything else I should know about running a type 3 in a beetle. Thanks for your help!
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

You can use that case though the aftermarket dip stick I used was not exactly ideal. Use a late offset oil cooler and doghouse shroud. Not sure what brand dip stick I used, maybe Empi. Good luck.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

yes, IRS type 3's use a mustache bar and yes that's a type 3 case. the dipstick adapters are the wrong angle, so be prepared to break it and epoxy it in the right place. You also won't have a spot for the oil pressure sender, on a type 3 it's on the oil cooler. Tap the case or use a type 3 cooler in a doghause shroud and make a hole for the sender. Type 3 cases are usually good
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

Do people really use their dipsticks? If I were burning or leaking oil or lost oil pressure I'd know before having to pull the stick. Just curious..
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

KEGZ wrote:
Do people really use their dipsticks? If I were burning or leaking oil or lost oil pressure I'd know before having to pull the stick. Just curious..

Laughing

I'm guessing you don't know much about a type 3
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

I seem to remember looking down inside a cracked AS series T1 engine case, where the crack was from the gallery to the outside under the oil cooler.
That also was drilled like that with the larger hole to the front of the car.
I used the extra diameter to JB weld in an internal copper sleeve to almost stop the leak..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does my universal case have one 8mm and one 10mm? Reply with quote

All of the dual relief cases have a larger pressure port for the oil cooler than the return port, its one of the easiest ways to see if a case is dual relief without having to flip it over and look for 2 relief springs. U series cases were for type 3s .
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: