Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Good morning Samba,

My questions: Which radiator brand should I buy? Are the JP Group/Dansk units good quality?

I've spent some time reading through the forum, browsing and calling vendors, here is what I have:

Behr: used to be the real deal. Have since outsourced to China. Chinese units are not good quality, units made in South Africa are still good quality. To know which is which, the South African version:
- is more expensive
- is branded "Heavy Duty" or "Premium Line"
- has a brass screw (Chinese version has a plastic screw)

Nissens: used to be crap, now seems to work fine (according to Samba and VanCafe). The good version has a metal screw, like Behr.

JP Group/Dansk: Any feedback on these? They are $200 CAD at CIP1 instead of at least $350 CAD for the other two brands.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

I bought a real South African radiator from Napa a few years back. It seemed to be built to the same quality as the original. No problems so far.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

I bought the heater matrix from an UK manufacturer. It is full copper.
http://www.motoradsonline.co.uk/products/Volkswage...52d91.html

JPG was crap a few years ago. They try to improve, but not OEM quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

interesting.... i'm really wanting to try one of these!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

SA Behr radiators are no longer available. I ordered one last year. It was the real deal, but was damaged, so had to order a second. Same make, model, part number, and price. The replacement was the cheaper China manufactured unit.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

SA Behr is what you want. I got one a few months ago, from GW, not sure about their current availability though.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

The South African Behr radiators are available at GoWesty. I just received one this week. $250 plus shipping/handling. Unfortunately I had to order this radiator because my 5 year old South African Behr radiator started leaking last week. It will be two weeks before I can get to it, but I will post pictures of the old radiator once I remove it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Just ordered one as well, a Behr made in SA, from Werke1 in Vancouver.

I'm curious where yours failed after only 5 years. Did you flush coolant every other year and whatnot?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

interesting.... i'm really wanting to try one of these!

I would say it is the same or a bit better than the original style heater.
Hard to compare as the original was full of dirt and leaking. And I have re-foamed the box and changed the motor in one go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

The Behr -Mahle part number when listed is different from Chinese and RSA.
Premium Line 8MK 376 713 631 is the good one.

The new Nissens and Chinese Behr look identical, prolly a private label manufacturer.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

A year or more ago RockAuto had some generically listed "closeout" radiators for vanagons. There is a thread here but a samba member ordered one and they turned out to be the SA Behr radiators. At the time they were $60. Might be worth a look to see if they're still there?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the current South African Behr available from GoWesty:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
The South African Behr radiators are available at GoWesty. I just received one this week. $250 plus shipping/handling. Unfortunately I had to order this radiator because my 5 year old South African Behr radiator started leaking last week. It will be two weeks before I can get to it, but I will post pictures of the old radiator once I remove it.

Pulled the old radiator this weekend. South Aftrican Behr which I installed in 2017. 4-1/2 years and out. Leaking along the seal between the plastic and the metal.

wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Nissens installed in 2015.No leaks. Stainless bleed bolt replacement has been OK.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Meyle Behre Hella…..soon all parts will be Taco Bell

Don’t forget to test your radiator with a flashlight
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Has anyone considered taking an old rad to a shop that actually builds custom radiators and have one built to match ? All welded aluminum ? Maybe even soldered copper ? I'd expect copper to be more spendy but having a radiator fail can ruin a lot more than a day.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Has anyone considered taking an old rad to a shop that actually builds custom radiators and have one built to match ? All welded aluminum ? Maybe even soldered copper ? I'd expect copper to be more spendy but having a radiator fail can ruin a lot more than a day.

It crossed my mind many times, but since the Behr from RSA is decent, it's fine.

I replaced one recently I had installed on a van many years ago. It saw a lot of ocean camping and salt mist.
Died in 6 years, slight leak from the corrosion under a crimp tab lifting them, causing a leak.
Upon opening the side tanks, they are actually VW tanks with the logo and part number inside.

I recently installed a JP group Dansk radiator recently, bought from GW. I laughed. It's some freaking junk, assembled like the old Nissens from 10 years ago with rubber washers to seal the end tubes. The plastic bleed screw doesn't clear as expected, so I made my own with an M10 bolt.

I recently also replaced a Nissens radiator, with copper fins, aluminum tubes, made in Denmark. I hadn't seen one until now. That was pre-internet for sure! Good ol' parts....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Yeah, Behr from RSA, but that manufacturing went to China too, so there's Behr rads from both places.
I'm just wondering if it's time for a place like RMW to look into making rads like they do coolant tanks.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Forst brand radiator made in the EU, available through heritage parts is a repro of the Behr unit. Haven't seen it mentioned yet but one is going into my rig. Hopefully it tests out good.
Looks the same. 🤞
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator brand/manufacturer: Behr, Nissens, JP/Dansk,... Reply with quote

Bump for any recent reviews. Crankey, how do you like the Forst?

Pretty sure mine is original (1984 Campmobile with 153K) and causing higher than optimal temps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: