Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the board, but not new to VW. I was pointed here by some friends when we started talking about parts. I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a 1999 EV Full Camper that needs a repair on the instrument cluster (part #7D0919911A). The cluster is operational, other than the check engine light is fried. It runs like a champ, just passed DEQ, and the shop just gave it a clean bill of health. Other than the check engine light is fried.

The specialty shop in Portland says the cluster can be repaired, they just don't have someone to do it. NOS seems to be depleted for this cluster. I'm happy to buy one used or NOS if I can source one. I've been searching the usual suspects, but I don't do facebook and so haven't explored there yet.

Any help at all would be gratefully appreciated!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

If that's all that's wrong w your Eurovan consider yourself very lucky. Check engine light is NOTHING.. Please leave it alone.. Those vans at very touchy and you have a old vehicle on ur hands. When I got mine a 93, I started out fixing all the little stuff ,more like breaking it. Trust mel this will be the very least of your problems down the road. Good luck Bill VT & PR
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

generic_ork wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the board, but not new to VW. I was pointed here by some friends when we started talking about parts. I am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a 1999 EV Full Camper that needs a repair on the instrument cluster (part #7D0919911A). The cluster is operational, other than the check engine light is fried. It runs like a champ, just passed DEQ, and the shop just gave it a clean bill of health. Other than the check engine light is fried.

The specialty shop in Portland says the cluster can be repaired, they just don't have someone to do it. NOS seems to be depleted for this cluster. I'm happy to buy one used or NOS if I can source one. I've been searching the usual suspects, but I don't do facebook and so haven't explored there yet.

Is the Check engine light bulb soldered in or in a twist in holder? If the latter, it's a simple matter of twisting the bulb with holder out (CCW usually) and pulling the dead bulb from the holder. Then go to the auto parts store and ask them to match it up. It'll usually be a 1-2 watt bulb. Anything that physically fits should be okay.
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

Is the Check engine light bulb soldered in or in a twist in holder? If the latter, it's a simple matter of twisting the bulb with holder out (CCW usually) and pulling the dead bulb from the holder. Then go to the auto parts store and ask them to match it up. It'll usually be a 1-2 watt bulb. Anything that physically fits should be okay.

It is soldered in. The Westy/VW shop says it needs board repair work that they can't provide.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

[quote="generic_ork"]
TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

It is soldered in. The Westy/VW shop says it needs board repair work that they can't provide.

Can you post a picture of the offending light?
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

[quote="TheOneTrueQuux"]
generic_ork wrote:
TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

Can you post a picture of the offending light?

Not currently. The shop put the cluster back in because it drives and operates fine otherwise. I didn't think to ask them to take pictures when it was out. Their suggestion if I couldn't find a whole cluster was "take care of general service and get it plugged into a dialogistic on the semi-regular and it should be just fine." When it gets serviced again, I will ask for pics.
cwparrott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I have a cluster for a 99. I do remember I removed the twist out bulbs in a failed attempt to replace the bulbs on my 95 cluster. You would need to get new bulbs but for this model they are easy to find. Let me double check.
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

cwparrott wrote:
I am pretty sure I have a cluster for a 99. I do remember I removed the twist out bulbs in a failed attempt to replace the bulbs on my 95 cluster. You would need to get new bulbs but for this model they are easy to find. Let me double check.

That would be amazing, thank you!
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

Not this cluster fault - but if you have the regular fuel / temperature gauge fault on the early type cluster this may be of some help http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

generic_ork wrote:

I have a used cluster that I bought just for the lens, if you want it let me know, the lens just clips on.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

Find a local ham radio club and get a lead to the folks who do board level work.
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument Gauge Cluster Repair Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Find a local ham radio club and get a lead to the folks who do board level work.

That is a good tip, thank you. It is also interesting you mentioned short wave. My wife's first career was EMT/Search and Rescue/fire watch. Lately we've been talking about getting back into S&R, so we picked up a pair of short wave hand held's and are getting ready to take our tests. I have a meeting with a local HAM operator this week and I will be bringing this topic up. Who knows what will come of it, but it never hurts to ask. I even think the guy owns a VW!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: