Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front beam torsion plates
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: front beam torsion plates Reply with quote

a buddy is in need of a torsion plate stack for his king/link pin beam. He's ordered twice from the same company, I'd rathe not say who, and gotten two sets different sets that won't fit the beam. First set was too long and the second set the plates are too wide. Both are supposed to be for king/link pin beams.
so I guess my question is, How many different king/link front beams did VW make?
sorry if posted in wrong forum
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion plates Reply with quote

For all practical purposes, one set of torsion bars for king and link pin Bugs. Split window Bugs did have a slightly different set, but not likely you will run into that. It is not the same as the set as used on later ball joint front ends.

Since front beams are sometimes narrowed it is very possible to find a set of bars that is 2 inches, or more, shorter than stock. However, all sets should be 4 wide bars and 4 narrow bars that assemble into the same size square shape for installation into the beam. The upper and lower bar sets are the same.
Laxkraap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: front beam torsion plates Reply with quote

thanks EVFUN
after some research here it seems that he has a very early (he's thinking pretty '53) king pin front end. The problem with the stack, just the lower tube stack, was that it was too loose in both the beam and trailing arms.
He came up with a solution, a 16 ga. shim in the stack. Everything fits as it should now.
again thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: