Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox popping out of 4th
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

If you need to remove the axle nuts, try to loosen/tighten them with a torqmeister, or something, and avoid using an air impact gun. The hardening of the axles can cause the nut threads to be more brittle than a factory axle, and the hammering of an impact can actually break the threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
How specific are the oiling mods required to the superdiff? I don't fancy running the risk of damaging the fancy axles and it seems the oiling mods can alleviate that.
I will speak to my usual vw machinist to see if he is familiar with the work tomorrow.

From my experience, how much you are lowered and how fast you drive will determine if you need the oiling mods.

The issue with the superdiff is that the fulcrum plates get much less oil than stock. If you are not lowered, no camber, no toe, then your fulcrum plates are not really working so they'll be ok.

If you are lowered and drive at high speeds for long distance, you will cook your fulcrum plates without the oiling mods.

My car was lowered 3". With un-modified superdiff, I would overheat my fulcrum plates in about 15-20 minutes when driving at 70-75mph.

Now, I raised it one inch, had oiling mods done to the superdiff and I've driven at 75-80mph for about an hour with no issues,
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Got ya Keeton, I have a torque meister.

Thank you Mendoza, confirms everything else I had read on the matter. I'll have to do the oil mods for sure.
I'm not lowered much at all. What are the signs of the fulcrums overheating?
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Got ya Keeton, I have a torque meister.

Thank you Mendoza, confirms everything else I had read on the matter. I'll have to do the oil mods for sure.
I'm not lowered much at all. What are the signs of the fulcrums overheating?

vibration & banging/knocking sounds coming from the trans

Last edited by GMendoza on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by GMendoza on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I could never get that tranny strap to fit correctly.

Ya, it do take some fettling.. Cheap junk for sure.

But the idea is sound, and the kit gives you some raw materials. Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

GMendoza wrote:

If you are lowered and drive at high speeds for long distance, you will cook your fulcrum plates without the oiling mods.

My car was lowered 3". With un-modified superdiff, I would overheat my fulcrum plates in about 15-20 minutes when driving at 70-75mph.

Now, I raised it one inch, had oiling mods done to the superdiff and I've driven at 75-80mph for about an hour with no issues,
On top of this, I modify the side covers to mimic what VW did when they installed a ZF. The ZF diff blocks oil flow to the fulcrums like a SD does.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

I'll look into that when I get mine off.
Found a cracked side gear thrust washer, struggling to get the circlips out currently though just moved house and can't find shit.
Any thoughts on the thrust washer?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Both of them are cracked, one has spun in the diff gouging it all up, can't get either side gear out.
This isn't looking good...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Both of them are cracked, one has spun in the diff gouging it all up, can't get either side gear out.
This isn't looking good...

So you are able to get the clips/thrust washers out, but not the side gears? You are more than likely going to need to get a burr bit, or sanding roll to clean off any irregularities that the damaged thrust washers made in the housing to get the side gears out. I would take the diff out before doing this, so no debris gets in the rest of the transaxle. You can also get a better look at the condition of the housing with it out of the transaxle once you get the gears out.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Correct.
I have got both circlips outs on both sides. I've popped both sidecovers too and removed the diff so I can do the oiling mods.
I agree I will likely have to dremel the burrs off.

Any thoughts on why the thrust washers split?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Before I attempt to split my diff down, any issues WRT pinion mesh I should be aware of or am I ok to unbolt the ring gear whilst I do the work?

Also, what torque spec is on those bolts securing the ring gear? I see the heads are drilled for locking wire but none has been used. Is that normal?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

I had disappointing results with a Super Diff. The oiling mods were done to the diff but for long distance driving it really isn't enough.
It ended our California trip in SusanVille along with a stripped rear rotor which was my own fault.
We had weird vibrations after driving a while and it turned out the fulcrums were seizing up.
I had my hitch mounted carrier on my buggy for hauling the comforts of home with us and it put the axles in a slight negative camber. It got hot in 30 miles after climbing a 6% grade for 4 miles between Reno and Carson City.
We ended up getting trailered home by my Brother for 850 miles......

My original stock diff held up for 7 yrs of abuse...not that I beat it with race launches but I would spin the tires a little in first and second.
I took it to my trans builder when we got home and he pulled the super diff out and sold me a 10 tooth spider stock diff for cheap.

I'll just drive it more like a daily and let up on the search for more power.

I did drive that super diff for over a year without issues that I could tell and even went on a 800 mile trip with it. It only reared it's ugly head when weighted down with the extra weight of the carrier and 50-75 lbs of stuff in the boxes.
I can't really say it was a lot of negative camber.........

With driver and passenger in..... it shouldn't change it too much since the weight should be distributed fairly evenly over all four tires.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Before I attempt to split my diff down, any issues WRT pinion mesh I should be aware of or am I ok to unbolt the ring gear whilst I do the work?

Also, what torque spec is on those bolts securing the ring gear? I see the heads are drilled for locking wire but none has been used. Is that normal?

When you remove the side cover bearings, make sure you mark which bearing, and corresponding shims came from what side. This sets the backlash, and you don’t want to get them mixed up.

The ring gear has an interference fit on the diff. It’s like the cam timing gear on the crankshaft in that you heat the ring gear to expand, then it will drop down onto the diff for installation. Once the bolts are removed, you can tap on the edge of the gear with a brass punch, or heat the gear up some, and it will fall off.

The bolt torque spec is 43 ft.lbs. The swing axle design doesn’t leave room for the thick lockwasher the IRS ring gears have, so that’s why there are the safety wire holes. Torquing the bolts with blue lock tight should be sufficient enough, but I always safety wire them.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
... you can tap on the edge of the gear with a brass punch, or heat the gear up some, and it will fall off.

Get two long M10 bolts and screw them in holes opposite of each other. Alternately tap the ring gear off.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Wow thanks for sharing your finding CB, did the axles take any damage or were they OK?
Would you rather just run a stock diff if you had a full weight car?
Short of going for the quaife, I'm not sure what the solution would be.
I will only be running this super diff, but I'm tempted to run the SAW axles instead of the Kuplapaja ones in case the diff does cause issues...

Thanks once again keeton for the info, I have both bearings off and have kept them all in the correct orientation, and the ring gear too, that had threadlock on. I used a pin punch to tap the ring gear off, much like bruce does. No issues there.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

What should the side covers be sealed with?
I would expect the o rings to be enough but both halves were sealed with gunk.
Whatever I use will affect the pinion back lash and/or diff bearing pre load won't it?
I have all the usual engine case sealants, and various RTVs.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Just the o-ring.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox popping out of 4th Reply with quote

Everything is back together.
I modded both side plates to get oil through the diff bearings. Then I did the other enlargement of the oil holes to the spiders and side gears. Slightly different to Ray as I did it by hand, but I dropped the spiders back is to see how much easier access to oil they have.

Ring gear is an O type, 3.88. I refitted in the same place I removed it from torqued it down with loctite and lock wired them in.

Both 6015 diff bearings had a good chemical bath and blown out, no issues found. Shims and bearings kept for their respective sides and refitted as they came off.
Heated to 110°C and they dropped on nice.

All reassembled and spins nice. Just need to find some new side gear thrust washers.

Very limited pics, I keep my phone out of the shop when grinding etc

Stock super diff, can bearly even see the spider

This is about 90% of what I did to each hole, spider dropped back in to see how much more easily oil should make it, I went round with a sanding roll after just to soften all the edges.

Cracked washers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: