Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I just got conti pro contact TX 165/65r15 for $80.00 each from discount tire, free shipping with mounting/balance for $12.00 each.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

One of the radial tires listed on my glove box for my 73 Super is: 175/70 R15, with a diameter of 24.6 inches, and a width of 6.9 inches. I assume that diameter means my speedometer will read correct, and my final drive ratio is correct. Not really a goal of mine.

The 165/80 R15 has a diameter of 25.4 inches, so 3.3% taller, but the width is 5.8% narrower (than stock).

The 155/80 R15 has a diameter of 24.8 inches - 0.8% taller, with a width 11.6% narrower.

I found a 175/80 R15 that I'm waiting on to be back in stock. It has a diameter of 26 inches - 5.7% taller, but he same width as stock.
https://www.achillestiresusa.com/tires/suv/desert-hawk-at
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Here is how tire size effects engine RPM and 4th gear MPH.

I'll use a stock 1973 Super Beetle transaxle in this example. It has a 3.88 R&P and a .93 4th gear.

With the stock diameter tire (175/70 R15) of 24.6, to go 60 MPH will require 2957.13 RPM's.

With a 165/80 R15 (larger diameter than stock) - diameter 25.4 to go 60 MPH takes 2863.99 RPM. Your cooling fan is turning slower, but in theory you're getting better fuel mileage.

Let's look at the other direction, a smaller diameter than stock tire.

The 165/65 R15 is 23.4 inches in diameter. To go 60 MPH with this tire takes 3108.78 RPM's. More work for the engine, but the fan's spinning faster.

67 thru 72 bugs used slightly different R&P and 4th, but the final drive ratio's are similar.

Hopefully useful information for somebody.
Dougal Cawley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
One of the radial tires listed on my glove box for my 73 Super is: 175/70 R15,

This is the 175/70VR15 CN36 that Pirelli have made again last year. These were original equipment on the Super beetle. These are in demand mainly in Germany because they asre very keen on keeping the handling as good as it can be and fitting a low profile tyre does spoil the handling of a Beetle however with the CN36 carcass you have a low profile tyre that suits your chassis and will handle better than any other low profile tyre when used in conjunction with your chassis, suspension and steering.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezion...-cn36.html

Pirelli also make these for Porsche in 165VR15 CN36 for pre 68 911, 912 and 914. Then in 68 911 moved to 185/70VR15 CN36 then the RS and Carrera models fitted 215/60R15 CN36 on the rear and many other models moved over to this set up. Pirelli make these again. Porsche did the testing and they now have N homologatiopn.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
One of the radial tires listed on my glove box for my 73 Super is: 175/70 R15, with a diameter of 24.6 inches, and a width of 6.9 inches. I assume that diameter means my speedometer will read correct, and my final drive ratio is correct. Not really a goal of mine.

Was yours shipped with 4.5 or 5.5" wide wheels? On 4.5" wheels I really like 185/65R15 tires. Only .1" diameter smaller, .5" wider than the 175/80.

Quote:
I found a 175/80 R15 that I'm waiting on to be back in stock. It has a diameter of 26 inches - 5.7% taller, but he same width as stock.
https://www.achillestiresusa.com/tires/suv/desert-hawk-at

I hear good things about these from the offroad guys and really want to get a set for the 4.5" wide Sport wheels I have once I refinish them for camping/fishing trips in my 73 super.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
I just got conti pro contact TX 165/65r15 for $80.00 each from discount tire, free shipping with mounting/balance for $12.00 each.

When I was getting tires for mine Discount Tire only had one set this size that was $200 each. I ended up getting a set of 5 from Walmart for $59.50 each ($56 now but out of stock currently) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-CX668-P165-80R15/55190139

EDIT: I guess they aren't exactly the same size...but close enough!
Dougal Cawley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

a 185/65R15 will not handle as nicely as a 175/70R15 period tyre. or a 185/70R15 period tyre for that matter.

The carcass structure of a 65 profile tyre is more modern, it will have wider tread and wont have the rounded shoulders that handle in a manner suited to your chassis.

But yes you will be able to get cheap 185/65 tyres.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

My car has very little body roll due to the suspension work I have had done. The modern material and profile tires work well for me.

On a car with stock suspension the rounded edges of a vintage pattern tire may cover up the inherent issues of the reflected camber with relation to the ground changing through the up/down travel of the wheel better.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I've started a bit of commuting in the Super and realized I've never updated/changed out the kinda bald "spare". So went back to Coker Tire to get one (1) more VredesteinHR15 to match my set of four.
Unfortunately they are backordered as I write this.
But TireRack has them with free shipping. And at $149 vs. $154. So on-the-way.

BTW, these Vred's are a fantastic tire for the person that wants to stay as stock as possible. Been very, very happy with their performance and handling. Just make sure you have them properly balanced and a good wheel alignment done. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=Cjw...lsrc=aw.ds
Dougal Cawley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Hi

We have a good selection of all the best classic tyres for Beetles on here.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/volkswagen/beetle.html

As Lingwendil says if you want to modify your car into somethying very different by lowering and stiffening it and adjusting the camber you can make it so a modern tyre will keep its footprint in contact with the road under heavey cornering forces. That is turning it into a bit more of a race car, and it is suited to some very different rubber. But all these mods though they look cool do go toward making a less pleasant to drive road car.

However a thinner period tyre will turn in quicker, more nimble and precisely than a fat wide modern tyre that your steering is not designed to handle that sort of tyre carcass, and amount of rubber on the road. So if you consider putting a 165/65R15 on the front, it will have really quite a lot more rubber in contact with the road thsan say a 165R15 Michelin XAS. the 65% goes toward a very different carcass shape and structure, which might be what you want. but it is going to load your steering

It is horses for course, and of course slamming it on the deck and fat tyres do look cool, and people have different goals and tastes, and are prepared to sacrefice different elements of what makes a nice drive for a different look. We do, however have a great selection of tyres from Pirelli and Michelin that look right and handle beautifully. We ship all over the world, and carriage is often free.

On another subject - i can't stand the Vredestein. We do sell them if people insist, we did have a few complaints about that dint in the side wall historically, when we sold more of them years ago. What i don't like the tread pattern, and the side wall design is just too busy and looks nothing like a classic tyre! that font? Who's idea was it to write the word "Classic" on the side wall? and then to do it in that font. Its a shame, because i think the carcass is alright, not as good as Michelin or Pirelli, but alright. (Apologies, that is all a bit strong).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I guess difference of opinion. I don't sell tires, I use them and really like the Vreds. Not interested on modifying, lowering or stiffening anything or the "look" of a fat tire. Just that a tire that functions properly.

In a completely different world I'm looking at some Vreds for my 2019 JLU for some off-roading. Didn't even know they made them for that application but come up in the top 5 choices (Tire Rack) for Jeep Wranglers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: