Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which front disc brake kit to buy
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: which front disc brake kit to buy Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me which wide five front disc brake kits are compatible with centerline bubble fronts? This is for a lowered ball joint application with 15x3.5 centerline fronts and 135's. I've got a set of bubble fronts on the way and am trying to get a compatible set of disc brakes ordered and on the way to get my longtime project back on the road. I am not interested in running spacers between the wheel and rotor to clear calipers, thereby adding track width. No one has answered yet, does anyone know if it's at least possible? Tell me if I'm pissing up a rope here... Confused
crowe66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Pete @ airkewld
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: which front disc brake kit to buy Reply with quote

Mongo63 wrote:
Can anyone tell me which wide five front disc brake kits are compatible with centerline bubble fronts? This is for a lowered ball joint application with 15x3.5 centerline fronts and 135's. I've got a set of bubble fronts on the way and am trying to get a compatible set of disc brakes ordered and on the way to get my longtime project back on the road. I am not interested in running spacers between the wheel and rotor to clear calipers, thereby adding track width. No one has answered yet, does anyone know if it's at least possible? Tell me if I'm pissing up a rope here... Confused

It isn't going to happen sorry. Exactly what kind of rope are we talking about?

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the prompt reply Pete, and I'm pretty sure it was hemp rope I was thinking of... Laughing
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need disks if you are going to be running 135s. even a stock drum setup will lock those up.
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73notch wrote:
you dont need disks if you are going to be running 135s. even a stock drum setup will lock those up.

Yeah, thanks. Confused
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run CB's kit, it works great!

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
I run CB's kit, it works great!

I've tried the CB kit and it will not mount up to centerline bubbles without a .5 inch spacer between the rotors and wheels. The calipers interfere with the rotors and I was trying to avoid adding any width to the front end. The CB brake kit already adds width over stock and I do not wish to add another inch on top of that.
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six inch beam will take care of that added track!
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleboy58 wrote:
Six is too much for me, I think it looks silly. I'm going to go 3, just got a new bottle of argon and some 028 wire in the mig. Thanks for all the replies.
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo63 wrote:
beetleboy58 wrote:
Six is too much for me, I think it looks silly. I'm going to go 3, just got a new bottle of argon and some 028 wire in the mig. Thanks for all the replies.

one thing to understand mongo, the 6" could be a good thing depending on the width that is added with the drop spindles and adapters or spacers. What you are usually thinking about is a stock wheel or porsche alloy set up with no added track parts. So it might not be a bad idea. I would do what I could to get the disc's and the wheels on the car, see how much it is sticking outside the wheels wells and come up with a figure from there. Like, if it is sticking out 2" on each side, a 4" will make it even. I hope that helps.

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdjafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
Mongo63 wrote:
beetleboy58 wrote:

one thing to understand mongo, the 6" could be a good thing depending on the width that is added with the drop spindles and adapters or spacers. What you are usually thinking about is a stock wheel or porsche alloy set up with no added track parts. So it might not be a bad idea. I would do what I could to get the disc's and the wheels on the car, see how much it is sticking outside the wheels wells and come up with a figure from there. Like, if it is sticking out 2" on each side, a 4" will make it even. I hope that helps.

Although I agree a narrowed beam might help the situation, wouldnt 6'' be too extreme? I heard anything >4'' requires shocks to be removed. If he plans on retaining shocks would he still be able to do so w/ a 6'' narrowed beam?? Question
Mongo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:
Mongo63 wrote:
beetleboy58 wrote:

I'm not using nor do I plan to use drop spindles, so no added track from that end. I believe the bubble fronts will put me where I need to be, the 3.5" fronts I have now have a centered offset and my tires are flush with my fenders and rub just slightly. When I was running stock wheels w/ 135's they were about 1" inside fenders and didn't rub except on bumpy turns. So I'll get the 135's mounted on the bubble fronts and see where that puts me, I just think a 6" beam looks silly and will not modify my body to get shock towers in. Thanks to all for the advice, especially you Pete!
1sweet67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: cb wide 5 disk brakes Reply with quote

No your bubble wheels will not fit unless you use a 1/2 spacer I have the same set/up and went back to drum on front till I can figure this out Evil or Very Mad Ok figured this out use a 1/2 wide spacer and things bolt right up with no problems just finished my fronts and so far so good
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: which front disc brake kit to buy Reply with quote

Bringing this one back from the dead..

Are there any newer wide 5 brake kits that accommodate drop spindles & front Centerline bubbles?

Ideally vented rotors with minimal track width increase too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: