Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Water pump is leaking. I made sure all hose connections were tight. Seems like it's coming from the water pump halves that I had separated. I should have replaced the housing too, since my housing is missing a boss for a bolt going through the pump. I figured that since the old one didn't leak... So now I will follow Waldo's instructions on removing the complete water pump with the ip pump installed. Thanks for those. I'm paying for halfassedness.

Or I could drill and tap a boss into this housing.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I don't think anyone who has witnessed the 11 pages of this thread would call
ANYTHING that you have done halfassedness ! Wink
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks syncroserge. I am grateful for the injectors that you practically gave to me. I decided to use my 130 psi injectors b/c they are pretty much new. My plan is to get the 155 psi ones rebuilt or do it myself.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Besides the slight leak in water pump, the engine is running great. I checked the pedal while floored and it is hitting the stop screw. I tried turning the stop screw out and that may have helped a tiny amount. The way it is now I can't really go much faster than 60mph, but my egt's never go past 850-900 tops. So I really think it's ok to turn the max fuel screw in a quarter to half turn. Other than top speed the van has more power with this set up, no doubt.

Was looking at transmission ratios and it seems that a DK 4 speed transmission will cruise at 55 at a lower rpm than my diesel 5 speed. Might look into the swap details.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The DX 5-speed is as good as it gets for a 1.6TD, IMO. A DK 4-speed would be a step down. Also, you'd need to swap the linkage and front shifter. Get 27" rear tires if you want to drop the cruising rpms a bit. It is very easy to 'overgear' these vehicles and not have the power to pull taller gearing. That is even worse with a 4-speed with the wider gaps between gears. If you think you have plenty of power for taller gearing, then an R+P swap with the DX would be much better than a DK swap, although unless you go to a stronger engine, I wouldn't even recommend that.

If you are seeing 900°F pre-turbine max, then IMO you could turn up the fuel a bit. I'd aim for 1200°F pre-turbine. The difference in performance between the two would be significant.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The DX 5-speed is as good as it gets for a 1.6TD, IMO. A DK 4-speed would be a step down. Also, you'd need to swap the linkage and front shifter. Get 27" rear tires if you want to drop the cruising rpms a bit. It is very easy to 'overgear' these vehicles and not have the power to pull taller gearing. That is even worse with a 4-speed with the wider gaps between gears. If you think you have plenty of power for taller gearing, then an R+P swap with the DX would be much better than a DK swap, although unless you go to a stronger engine, I wouldn't even recommend that.

If you are seeing 900°F pre-turbine max, then IMO you could turn up the fuel a bit. I'd aim for 1200°F pre-turbine. The difference in performance between the two would be significant.

Agreed, the DK is just too tall for any 1.6 diesel
http://volksweb.relitech.com/helmut/GEARBOX.HTM is a nice site put up 20 years ago for trans ratios.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The 1.6 diesel (turbo or N/A) is a high revving engine that builds its HP in the higher rev range. So, the lower ratio (short) of the Ring & Pinion in the OE diesel gear box is necessary to use the HP most efficiently.

The primary difference in a the DK gasser and the Diesel 4-speed DM is the much taller 4.57 R&P vs 5.43, basically one revolution difference, but a significant difference.

The DK gasser and DM diesel have the same ratios in 1st, 2nd and 4th gears. The difference in 3rd gear is virtually insignificant (DK 1.23 & DM 1.26).

Below is a comparison (Excel generated) of the DX, DM and DK transmission effective ratios by gear and RPMs needed at 70 MPH in top gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. I think that for now I will just drive the van. It'd be nice if it had one more high gear for the highway. I am going to try to remove the collar on the max fuel screw. I read that it is ok to remove the screw from the pump to work on it.

Edit; I have 27" tires. I think they are great.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

The RPMs at 70 mph could be reduced to about 3525 by replacing 5th gear (0.77 ratio) with a 0.75 ratio. However, that would be a rather expensive endeavor. The matching gears, with cone, from Weddle would be approximately $375 plus shipping. Of course, the transmission would have to be dissected which is a major job and without the proper tools could become a nightmare. And, going in that far, it would be senseless to not replace some items (Synchronizer rings, bearings, upgraded 3/4 hub, etc.). The numbers will add up quick.

I am almost 100% sure that gears for the 091 (3rd & 4th) are the same as 4th and 5th of the DX from a fitment stand point. They are in the same locations on the shafts. I've not looked at a Bentley Manual in a while on this topic.

Keep us posted!
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

See, I am not sure if I have a DX transmission. The previous owner said that he couldn't get parts for the original transmission so he put in another diesel 5 speed transmission from a Doka. I think he said it was an '89 Doka. I did some research and see that I may have a different 5 speed with a shorter 5th gear than the DX. I need to find the code on my transmission.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

I got the collar off. It was welded onto the screw, so it tore up some threads. The screw still moves through the nut so it's ok. I did a little experiment and turned the screw in at least two turns. The van took off but it was too much. I got runaway fueling in between shifts. I will dial it down tomorrow as it is dark out here.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Two full turns is a HUGE increase in fueling. I would recommend 1/8 turns at at time. The idle needs to be lowered with every increase in the max fuel screw. The idle being too high is what causes the runaway situation.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Okay, I confirmed that I have an ABR transmission. That sux. A DX would be an upgrade. Even better an AAS. I will start hunting for the AAS.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ABR has a .82 5th gear which requires roughly 3900 RPMs at 70 MPH with 27 inc tires ...

I see why you are searching for another gear...... likely there is a lot of resonance inside at speeds over 60 MPH.

Yeah, a DX would be at roughly 3625 RPMs at 70 MPH.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Everything is the same except for the final drive. ABR=5.5, AAS=4.83. Maybe I can just change that out in mine. Please excuse the dumb question here, but the final drive is the same thing as r&p; located in the rear axle hub?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Yes, the final drive is the same as the ring and pinion. It is located in the transaxle. To swap the ring and pinion basically requires an entire trans rebuild.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe in the future then.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Everything is the same except for the final drive. ABR=5.5, AAS=4.83. Maybe I can just change that out in mine. Please excuse the dumb question here, but the final drive is the same thing as r&p; located in the rear axle hub?

Exactly.
for the mathematically minded, these are just a fraction. Usually the pinon is 6,7, 8, 9 teeth. So, a quick glance will realize a 4.83 is 4-5/6, so, 24/6 + 5/6= 29/6 ratio. 4.86 would be 4-6/7. 7 tooth pinion.
5.50 is a strange one. Must be 55/10? Ask Klingenborg, I guess. (The main German gear manufacturer.)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

Heavy. I think I am stuck with this ABS transmission for now. When I think about upgrading the trans. I wonder about upgrading the motor first. That whole process would have to be thought out and then paid for. I was thinking AAZ but from what I read, the 1Z or AHU or 1Z/AHU is a similar amount of work to install and gives better performance.

Taking the back roads is always better (imo) on trips, so van is good for that and driving around town.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swapping injection pumps in 1.6TD Reply with quote

There are some Vanagon TDI conversions in the TDI Club.

When I was searching info 15 years ago to do my ALH TDI conversion, it was a struggle. Those that had the info either wouldn't share it or wanted pay for it. And, many had no clue what they were talking about.

So, I started a Thread on my conversion and shared everything. It got way too long. But, I have since categorized all the things I did and provided links to them within the Thread. Yes, I made some mistakes along the way, who doesn't? I learned from them and moved on. As I may have stated here in your Thread, I'm putting together another DK transmission build. My wife would kill me if she knew how much I have in it thus far ..... and it is still not assembled.

I agree, if you plan to make the changes you've alluded to, you should put together a plan.

In the link below, scroll down to: VW Van swaps

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/tdi-c...ns.142679/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: