Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro front diff knock.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadchemist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have a deep knocking coming from the middle front (as in between the front seats) of my 86 Syncro. I have taken the prop out for the moment as I'm working through a vibration issue with that.... but knock is still there. Seems to come and go but is especially knocking when for the first few miles (over small bumps) and then settles down.

Found a youtube video which shows the exact same knock but the gentleman who posted it gave no more information as to what the issue is/was or the fix.

Anyone have any ideas?

https://youtu.be/DAEzovBkt7g
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Even though the drive shaft is removed, the cv shafts and ring and pinion are still turning. I’d start with looking at the CVs and draining the differential.
Deadchemist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Do you think i should remove the whole diff or just drain it, fill back up and go from there. Is there anything especially i should be keeping an eye out regarding the CVs/ring and piston?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

I would not pull the differential unless there was a lot of material on the magnet. Unfortunately you can’t easily drive the van with the CV shafts removed, but you’d look for a torn boot or maybe some cracking. CVs do need to be serviced. If you aren’t sure when they were done, it might be worth servicing them. Quite a few members have had good luck using a needle to work fresh grease into the cvs.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Unfortunately you can’t easily drive the van with the CV shafts removed

Mark thats true but I recommend being more forceful on this subject.

Such as:
    Unfortunately driving a Syncro with the CV shafts removed will destroy the front hubs and bearings almost immediately, followed by the wheels falling off. Syncro front hubs are no longer available, and locating used parts is difficult.

By some strange oversight, there are no diagrams anywhere (not in the Bentley either) showing how the CV axle holds the hib together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drew this diagram, it may help to understand how the axle nut holds the wheel on. And that if this nut comes loose, and you drive the van, the hub is destroyed.
All Syncro owners should put a wrench on this nut & stand on it, verify that it’s firkin’ tight. 258 ft-lbs.

If anyone knows where a “real” Syncro front hub diagram can be found, I’d like to have it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

That sound is not normal but I've heard a clunk similar to the one in the video from a dry rear inner cv on a 2wd.
X2 on the warning to not move a Syncro without front shafts installed and properly torqued.
Page 36 of the following doc has a good exploded view of the components, but not a nice cut-away sodo provided - thanks for your artwork (I think you have the circlip on the wrong side) .
See page 36:
https://hans-wibo.asuscomm.com/index.php/s/tmNy8nNaSSaeyCG

W
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

If it were me, I’d remove both CV shafts expecting to clean, inspect, new boots, etc. But with the shafts removed, I’d knock the outer joints off the shafts and temporarily reinstall in the hubs tightened to spec. This makes it safe to operate the van. If the noise is gone, you’ve isolated it some what.

The problem is for many folks, this is not an easy job. In fact I find it to be on my list of least favorite things. Syncro’s by their nature just require more effort and patience.
Deadchemist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, i certainly won't be messing around trying to drive it without the shafts properly sorted. But for the moment it all feels ok par this knocking so I'm hoping that it's just a dry boot.

I'll check the inner cv boots for splits or what not tomorrow. Whats the suggestion with injecting grease with a needle? Anyone got any info on this regarding method/grease type etc etc?

*edit. Found a good post on the forum detailing needle info so please ignore.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

WiboBusMan wrote:
See page 36:
https://hans-wibo.asuscomm.com/index.php/s/tmNy8nNaSSaeyCG

Thanks Wibo!
Yes the snap ring location is wrong in my drawing.
I drew it after I completely re-assembled the van, just by memory.
Would have been better if I drew it with parts in-hand, but I never expected it to become the only cutaway diagram available.
At the time (2016) I expected that a 'real' OEM diagram was 'out there' somewhere.

I combined pg 36 & 37 together into this image and translated to English
and loaded the pic into TheSamba ! 👍🏽👍🏽

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Does it have a front locker? That could also be a noise source if partially engaged.

Thanks for the great illustrations Sodo & Wibo!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deadchemist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Yes thanks for the fantastic drawings and illustrations, 10 out of 10 from me Wink

No front locker, just rear! The noise really really sounds like the video i posted in the original post.
The Believer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Bringing this one back,

@deadchemist, were you able to figure out the noise? I'm having a very similar noise on my Syncro after driving it across country.

Just curious if it ended up being the cv's or not?

thanks
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Such as:
    Unfortunately driving a Syncro with the CV shafts removed will destroy the front hubs and bearings almost immediately, followed by the wheels falling off. Syncro front hubs are no longer available, and locating used parts is difficult.

Just pointing out it is possible to do this. I figured this out years ago on my e30 325ix after I tried to drive it around the block without front axles and immediately ruined the bearings. Sad face for me, learning is expensive.

You need to disassemble the cv axle and insert the stub axle through the hub. With the stub in place, the axle nut can be torqued down and the bearing is good to go.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Such as:

Just pointing out it is possible to do this. I figured this out years ago on my e30 325ix after I tried to drive it around the block without front axles and immediately ruined the bearings. Sad face for me, learning is expensive.

You need to disassemble the cv axle and insert the stub axle through the hub. With the stub in place, the axle nut can be torqued down and the bearing is good to go.

Agreed. Lots of syncro fellers carry a front stub axle in case they break a front axle. If they think they might.... This happens when you are stuck hard, "in rocks" etc. I was not so long ago, but didn't bust an axle - but still get the willies about it.

You can also get a big bolt and nut to hold it together, to move the van around your yard etc, or in/out of the shop.

If you had to actually drive the van (rescue etc), the "big bolt+nut" should be the same thread pitch (or finer)... and torqued to 258 ft-lbs. If you're going to carry a 'rescue stub', find a bigger + finer bolt than the threaded stub. I want to have a rescue stub bolt on-board. You'd have to carry these big sockets, plus another to hold the bolt head.

I'll try to do some measurements and post this (someday).

The Believer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Good thinking on keeping a spare CV stub around.

I've uploaded a video of my van driving and tried my best to record the knock, which is a very rhythmic grand father clock sound of sorts.

I pulled the drive shaft yesterday, just to eliminate that as a possible source, and noise stayed the same.

No shavings in the front diff oil. the front diff was just also rebuilt and I had no noise for about 3000 miles or so.

I'm leaning towards a CV?

Link

The Believer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

Here is one more pertinent video. This is at a shop on a life with all wheels in the air, van in gear and moving ever so slightly.

It's very clear to see the front diff hop/bind.

Link

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

It looks like at least one of the mounts is loose, the diff shouldn't be moving like that even with the problem.
Could still be CV, but because of the loose mount(s) it's showing as the diff.
Tighten down the mounts and try again.
If the diff had something clunking around enough to lift it like that there would be debris in the oil.

The sequence of the bump seems to be correlated with the rotation of the CV.
Put a mark on the CV and case, see if the bump happens at the same point each time the mark on the CV passes the mark on the case.
Any idea how old the CVs are?

Although it's possible the bolts on the ring could be loose. Who did the rebuild?
You can try to check, disconnect the inner CVs and wiggle/rotate the output flanges. Try to grab both flanges, it will be tight working space. There will be some backlash but not much if all's good and smooth.

But it's most likely CV. If the ring were loose then it stands to reason there would be more vibration rather than a single bump.
A broken tooth might do it, but wouldn't there be more junk in the oil?

Here's a pic of what's in there.

Best of luck

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
The Believer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

@MsTaboo Thanks for having a look and I appreciate your advice.

I've been wondering about the diff bushings. I did loosen them yesterday when I removed the driveshaft and they all seemed nice and tight. Could the bushings be totally blown, causing the excessive movement? I'm not against changing them.

The CV's look rather old and crusty, unsure of the actual age though. The boots are not torn and I don't notice any obvious fresh grease splatter.

The diff was rebuilt by Ron's Transaxles in San Pablo CA. a reputable VW shop. The magnetic drain plug didn't have anything on it after 3k of driving.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

a bad CV with a "knot" in it would cause what i see in your video. i say "knot" because so many folks think the only failure of a CV is that death click you hear on sharp turns

pull the axles and move them thru their range of motion. bet you find a stiff one, and bet its an inner (they seem to "knot" up more than an outer)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front diff knock. Reply with quote

The Believer wrote:
I've been wondering about the diff bushings. I did loosen them yesterday when I removed the driveshaft and they all seemed nice and tight. Could the bushings be totally blown, causing the excessive movement? I'm not against changing them.

The CV's look rather old and crusty, unsure of the actual age though. The boots are not torn and I don't notice any obvious fresh grease splatter.

Well, if you loosened the mounts then that would explain why the diff is moving.
The mount bushings have to be really blown out to be worth the money of replacing, yours look fine.

Undo the inners and rotate thru the range of motion. There will be a little in-out movement but no clunks, choppiness, or grinding!

Most likely plan on replacing the CVs. The front outers are a pain and expensive. Front inners are the same as the rears.
Don't fool around with cheap parts. Use Lobro.

You could try and just replace the two inners and maybe you will get lucky. But it's not easy to replace the inners by themselves without pulling the axles unless you drop the front diff to make room. And then you need to be lucky and hope the CVs aren't stuck on the axle.

Best bet all the way around is to plan on pulling the front axles and replacing all four CVs. A lot of work and not cheap but done right will last.

Be warned, there are some very crappy CV boots out there. Nothing worse than going through all the work of pulling the front axles and then have the boots rip in a year.
Read up on CV boots.

How about some pics of your rig? We all love photos and helps give an idea of condition.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: