Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I had previously posted some images and comments on my 59 Diamond Gray Beetle restoration, and wanted to let those that are interested that I set up a separate post to document the restoration. You can find it here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761529
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Beautiful car!

Thanks !

I love it and she drive like a charm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

7of5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

https://www.appletreeauto.com/poly-fuel-tank-with-sump-10-x-33-11-gallon/

Has anyone tried one of these with success?
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

7of5 wrote:
https://www.appletreeauto.com/poly-fuel-tank-with-sump-10-x-33-11-gallon/

Has anyone tried one of these with success?

I doubt you will get many helpful replies here in the 58/59 only discussion thread. You would probably be better if you moved this to the 58-67 general section.

As to your question: no, I have not tried this tank, but if I may ask, what is wrong with the original tank? Is yours rusted out or in need of replacement? You would be taking up a lot more trunk space trying to get this to work over repairing or replacing the original style tank, IMO.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
stale air wrote:
RichOakley wrote:
I have a Dec 1958 (59 Model) Garnet Red RHD Beetle that I have owned for years. I am about to get some carpets made to original spec. Firstly, I need a definitive answer of whether 59 models had plastic or metal heater outlet rings and reserve tap ring. Secondly, I have the choice of dark grey or light grey (very nice quality) square weave carpet material, but neither look like the original mid grey-ish colour used in Garnet Red Beetles. I don’t suppose anybody has come across a source for this original colour material?

59's would have had aluminum heater rings or plastic depending on if it was an early, or late build. What month the change over took place, I am unsure of.

Here is a pic of a clean original 59, for reference...aluminum

As for the carpet, the colors correct for your car would be T109 anthracite for the front, and t110 silver grey for the rear.
If it were me, I would go with WW Charcoal for the front, and Med Grey for the rear. Just my .02

Brilliant, thank you. I could find no literature referring to the change-over. As my car is a Nov 58 build, I’ll go with the aluminium and charcoal carpet.

Hey that’s my car! Laughing

Never knew this thread existed.

For future reference on the above, my 59 is an extremely early 59, one of the earliest survivors if I were to take a guess.

August 5th, 1958 production.

The engine is original to the car as well, and was the 341st engine built for all 1959 model year buses and beetles. I’d be surprised to hear of an earlier original engine & bus/beetle for 1959.
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Here’s a shot of the survivor august of 58 production sunroof beetle that the interior posted above belongs to.

I took the photo this past Friday after a 512 mile / 5 state drive. Still 6v, original 36hp motor still chugging along. 58k original (and documented) miles.

Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
Here’s a shot of the survivor august of 58 production sunroof beetle that the interior posted above belongs to.

I took the photo this past Friday after a 512 mile / 5 state drive. Still 6v, original 36hp motor still chugging along. 58k original (and documented) miles.

Beautiful car!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does it have one bolt or 2 bolt wheel cylinders?

Don
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hey that’s my car! Laughing

Never knew this thread existed.

For future reference on the above, my 59 is an extremely early 59, one of the earliest survivors if I were to take a guess.

August 5th, 1958 production.

The engine is original to the car as well, and was the 341st engine built for all 1959 model year buses and beetles. I’d be surprised to hear of an earlier original engine & bus/beetle for 1959.

Very cool. Cool
Just because.... my 58, has a build date of July 7 1958, and
left the factory on July 12 1958. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:

Beautiful car!

Yes can stare at it all day long.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Bug-nut wrote:

Beautiful car!

Yes can stare at it all day long.

Thank you.

The drivers side shows less patina but still a great side. It sat in a garage with a busted window on the passenger side from 1970-2019, so the passenger side sports the look a lot better.

It came from the original owners estate. She passed away a long time ago and her house/car remained untouched except for a cat that clawed its way through the ragtop.

The beetle itself was won in a raffle at the 1958 International Auto Show in NYC. It came with the event program showcasing all of the manufacturers and their latest models, VW included. There’s more to the story, but I’ll save that for a rainy day!

TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Awesome survivor ! Applause
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

myvolks1 wrote:
jbannon,

Can you post some pictures of the Red/Brown leatherette samples that you got from them?

jbannon wrote:
Bwaz,

You can buy new / original material from this shop in Germany (use Apple Safari or Google Chrome to translate):

http://www.doepper-profile.de

Green/Gray

http://www.doepper-profile.de/artikeldetails.php5?...lsterstoff

Blue/Gray

http://www.doepper-profile.de/artikeldetails.php5?...lsterstoff

They also have the Red/Brown as well as leathertte colors. Email them (they speak English) and tell them what you need. In the past they have sent me samples.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sorry for the late response on this one. For some reason the Samba didn't notify me despite having notifications turned on.

Here are pictures of the green and blue. The overhead lighting doesn't show their true colors despite many attempts at trying to get the color balance correct. However, you should be able to get an idea of the weave quality. The sample feels very durable and I personally think it looks like the original.

Green

Blue

jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a company in the US or Europe that can restore my 1959 Gray/Green leatherette interior? I have a complete, original interior that looks pretty good, but it needs some help. I need new door card material, and want to get the vinyl re-dyed. In addition, the seats have a few small tears (very small) that I want to get repaired as well have the seat vinyl re-dyed.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jbannon wrote:
Does anyone know of a company in the US or Europe that can restore my 1959 Gray/Green leatherette interior? I have a complete, original interior that looks pretty good, but it needs some help. I need new door card material, and want to get the vinyl re-dyed. In addition, the seats have a few small tears (very small) that I want to get repaired as well have the seat vinyl re-dyed.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.
west coast classics may be able to do it
jbannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. Unfortunately West Coast Classics only do new interiors.

I’ll keep looking.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I figured I would share this for those looking to restore and looking for original condition cars.

Original Euro 58 for sale here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2470860

With extensive photos here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sthx8gtudwd6enj/AAC9MOHC9xfYmxepoZH_hFDSa?dl=0

I found these photos very interesting, but I also had some questions.

What is the circled item in the photos below?
Mine has a plugged hole there.

What is this black box under the hood on the DS?

Did US models have the coat hook assist straps on both sides?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the circled item in the photos below?
Mine has a plugged hole there.

It's an antenna with a missing mast. Could be a standard radio antenna, could have been for a CB -- take a look at the connector at the end of its cable if it's still present.

Quote:

That the fuse block for the headlights.

Quote:
Did US models have the coat hook assist straps on both sides?

Yes
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks mukluk!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Quote:

That the fuse block for the headlights.

I would add the 2 fuses for the high beam headlights. On these older Bugs the low beam headlights are not fused! If its is a US model Bug the front parking lights are not fused either (and those screw terminals on the bulb holders are very close to shorting out against the headlight bucket.) Honestly, some old VW stock wiring practices were kinda scary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 142 of 148

Jump to: