Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

bikes! wrote:
@white_one - shut up and take my money!! Need a couple of these please. Or the file so I can print a few.

Just sent you a PM. How many are you missing? I won't vouch for the durability of the material yet, but it's supposed to be decent. Happy to send a few.
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

white_one wrote:
bikes! wrote:
@white_one - shut up and take my money!! Need a couple of these please. Or the file so I can print a few.

Just sent you a PM. How many are you missing? I won't vouch for the durability of the material yet, but it's supposed to be decent. Happy to send a few.

Reply sent. Just need a couple of them for now. Thanks!
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Small project today. Rear hatch locating pins are looking nasty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bought some better ones off eBay. One ones compared to new ones. Removed with the proper german tool

Cleaned up the hardware while I was at it. I could probably use some new ones. Finished results.

Small change, but satisfying.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Frustrating day on the Van today. I went out for a 5 minute distraction from work. Instead it turned into a few hours of troubleshooting and jury rigging.

When I first got the van, I saw the interior lights did not turn on when the doors open. Seems a common problem. I started pulling the switches and cleaning them. The front passenger went fine. When I pulled the sliding door, the switch was covered in charcoal at the terminals. Something had been burning there. I left it alone and ordered a new switch. At the driver door, I found one wire (yellow) broken. The brown wire was also crispy / charcoal at the terminal. Again, ordered a replacement switch. New switches show up tomorrow.

Today I had the driver door open (light on) and copious smokes pours out of the switch. Not good, but I figure I can replace the wire tomorrow when I do the switches. Seems the brown wire shorted to the body. Need to look at the wiring diagram to figure out how current flowed through it.....

Okay, smoke is under control, so I decide to open the windows to air it out. Driver window, no problem. Passenger side - big problem. Window motors down, but would not go up.

Took the door card off and started to mess around. Ended up jamming the window in the up position.

Next up is to fix the door light switches - can't have any fires in the Van. Then I'll go back to window debug mode.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Disconnect the battery (main batt in engine compartment ASAP). Go back to the driver door, pull off the door card and pull back the bellows covering the wiring harness between the door and the body. Investigate the state of the wiring and insulation - do a detailed inspection, use plenty of light, inspection mirror, etc.

Very high likelihood of compromised insulation at this location. It is a high flex/pinch point and the insulation has become brittle with age. Sounds like yours is at the stage where insulation is missing from many wires. Most present with at least some sort of insulation cracking, many are worse.

I found mine in a moderate to advanced state of decay when troubleshooting brake light and power mirror issues. I elected to replace the drivers door wiring harness (can still be purchased new). Besides the wallet hit, this is a pretty easy job.

You can also repair the harness by snipping out severely damaged sections of wiring/insulation and soldering in repair sections, shrink tubing, electrical tape, etc. However, you will likely create additional pinch/fatigue points due to the bulk of the repair sections. If you elect to go this route, I strongly suggest to do a thorough repair (i.e. ALL the wiring segments) and replace enough wire such that the solder points are well away from the flex areas. Also, be sure you match wire gages to prevent current overload issues (and ideally color too for later troubleshooting).

Harness repair is a much more detail oriented job - hence my suggestion for replacement of the harness if budget allows (~$200 part if I recall).

As several electrical systems run through the drivers door (interior lighting, power windows, locks, speakers, mirrors, etc.), I suggest leaving battery disconnected until this is resolved. Alternatively, you can disconnect/remove the door harness and drive the van as is (with the aforementioned systems out of commission). As evidenced by your charred wiring and smoke, it sounds like you had a near fire and potential further damage to the electrical system.

Edit to add part number for drivers door harness: 7D0971120EC
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:

Edit to add part number for drivers door harness: 7D0971120EC

Thank you, that is super helpful and good advice. I just put the wiring harness on order.
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

white_one wrote:
Here's what the driver side sliding window looks like

Yes, that is an allen key acting a a lock. No bueno.

eBay latch arrived today

installed on window

Very satisfying

Where did you order this? I need one for our 2001 Weekender.

Also we got the same van.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Since you're futzing around with the interior lighting, one of my favorite mods is to convert the two florescent lights to LEDs and then wire them into the door switch circuit so they come on when any of the doors are opened. I used dual position switches so they can either be switched on manually or with the doors. Game changer.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Since you're futzing around with the interior lighting, one of my favorite mods is to convert the two florescent lights to LEDs and then wire them into the door switch circuit so they come on when any of the doors are opened. I used dual position switches so they can either be switched on manually or with the doors. Game changer.

Is there a write up anywhere for this? I NEED this for my kids. The pervious owner converted to LED but to have them come on with the door switch would indeed be a game changer.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

shirk wrote:
[quote="white_one"

I found its on eBay. I'm spending WAY too much time there recently. Here's the listing - he has more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232787259528

Or I can send you my allen key Very Happy

-
shirk wrote:

Good looking rig. The color is growing on me. I'm DYING to start detailing the exterior of mine. I won't let myself start until the interior is done.

Last edited by white_one on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I will add that to the project list. The interior is so dark, this would really help.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

UPDATE!

I've been spending the last week getting familiar with wiring diagrams. They're beginning to make sense.

First up, here's the door switch and wire. Melty!

For future reference, it is on a completely different harness than the rest of the door. Here's the part number.

I was surprised to see how much extra wire there is on this harness. At first I thought I could just reuse what was left, and add some new terminals. then I saw the other end (circled in red). Also melty.

I (embarrassed) have been testing the circuits using the melty wire. I'm too impatient - the replacement won't be here until the 26th. I have the light working from all 4 doors. I was thrown off for a day or 2 - the light bulb had burnt out. Good lesson to focus on the obvious stuff to start with. Van is currently sleeping with the battery disconnected. Does anyone have any advice on de-pinning the connector at the fuse panel? I could make my own temporary harness if I could figure out how to get the connector apart.

The window still needs to be fixed. I was to the point where I was second guessing if they windows was related to the door switch fire. This afternoon, after fixing the light, the window decided to go up on it's own. I'm convinced the issue is still the door harnesses. The replacement door harness should be here in the next 2 days. I'll report back when it's done.

Can't wait to wrap up this electrical distraction project. I've got way more fun projects waiting.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Regarding de-pinning: most of these harness ends use tyco electronics junior power timer connectors. To release them from the housing, you need to depress the two locking tabs that are on either side of the long edge of the connector.

The depinning tool works best but is spendy ($100+). Alternatively, amazon and such have a host of depinning tool kits for ~$10. You can also try attacking with a pair of jewelers screw drivers.

The best method is a combination of inserting your depinning tool from the open end of the connector to depress the locking tabs while at the same time pushing the connector into the housing from the wire side (to help release the locking tabs). Then a gentle tug to remove the connector from the housing.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Regarding de-pinning: most of these harness ends use tyco electronics junior power timer connectors. To release them from the housing, you need to depress the two locking tabs that are on either side of the long edge of the connector.

The depinning tool works best but is spendy ($100+). Alternatively, amazon and such have a host of depinning tool kits for ~$10. You can also try attacking with a pair of jewelers screw drivers.

The best method is a combination of inserting your depinning tool from the open end of the connector to depress the locking tabs while at the same time pushing the connector into the housing from the wire side (to help release the locking tabs). Then a gentle tug to remove the connector from the housing.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the generic depinning tools on order. I'm going to pull the wire out today, and start attacking it. Fingers crossed
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Minor update. One taillight was cracked. Replacement arrived today, so it had to go on immediately.

Cracked taillight:

Here's the replacement

Of course I am using the correct german tool (I lie, the socket is craftsman). It is a really nice 1/4" socket driver. Reasonably priced as well.

Old one removed. Dirty under here

Much better after cleaning

And voila:

Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Fun to see you getting to know your new toy well. I was in your same shoes about 6 months ago.

Now that you've taken the tail lights off - think about replacing the brake and backup lights with LEDs, they're much brighter. Same for the center third brake light.
I didn't do it for the turn signals as that caused errors.

Also wire in LEDs for the bonus red marker lights below the big cluster, if those haven't been rigged for running lights.
white_one
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:
Fun to see you getting to know your new toy well. I was in your same shoes about 6 months ago.

Now that you've taken the tail lights off - think about replacing the brake and backup lights with LEDs, they're much brighter. Same for the center third brake light.
I didn't do it for the turn signals as that caused errors.

Also wire in LEDs for the bonus red marker lights below the big cluster, if those haven't been rigged for running lights.

Thanks! This thing is pretty fun. So many little projects to do, and most are pretty simple. Lighting upgrades are on the list. The stock headlights are flat out dangerous.
JavaJoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Thank you for this link! I have a 2001 Weekender that needed one of these!

white_one wrote:
shirk wrote:
[quote="white_one"

I found its on eBay. I'm spending WAY too much time there recently. Here's the listing - he has more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232787259528

Or I can send you my allen key Very Happy

-
shirk wrote:

Good looking rig. The color is growing on me. I'm DYING to start detailing the exterior of mine. I won't let myself start until the interior is done.
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Nice to see that you are cleaning up everything as you go along!

FWIW, my trans re-builder is not very hip to the addition of the extra trans-cooler.

Apparently, he has seen more than a few 098's and 01P's destroyed by failure in the extra trans cooler "kits."

He recommends keeping the stock trans cooling set-ups.

Having just replaced a radiator and a few of the major cooling hoses, I can see why he recommends keeping the stock cooling setup.

There is simply too much more that can go wrong with adding an after-market trans cooling kit.

Like my trusted rebuilder says, these vans are not meant to stressed on the transmission. They have a hard enough time already--it's a modified Jetta transmission!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to the family 2001 Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I’m not a fan for aftermarket cooler hype but they make sense if

…you have an EV Camper, much heavier than the EV

….you drive hard or tow heavy stuff routinely , like monthly

….mountainous or hilly terrain with long upslopes

All the hype about transmission oil temperatures is otherwise better addressed with using Pentosin synthetic and a 20-40k interval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: