Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car Seat Heat Cushion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Is anyone using a car seat heat cushion? Here's one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-IN9438-2-Heated-Cushi...&psc=1

There's a PDF file that says it's rated at 12vdc @ 40w (114 deg F). That should be about a 3.5 amp draw. I'm using a mechanical choke so I should have that to spare.

There are many different car seat heat cushions out there. Do you use one or have a favorite? Do they provide meaningful heat/comfort at really cold temps? Are they worth it?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I am interested too in what others have done in this regard. I would like to add this feature to our street Buggy to extend both the hours in a day and the driving season. Has anyone salvaged the heating units out of an existing seat?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Its easy.
Beamer seat swap
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I used to run something similar for years when I’d take my split window bus up to go snowboarding. It made a big difference. Especially on the return trip when I could turn on the massager. Some Tiger Balm on the lower back and two hours of massage and heat did the trick.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I have a pair of TDI seats with heat but I think they will be too wide for the Manx copy.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Aftermarket seat heater kits are so cheap these days
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Does cheap = junk in this case too as with so many other things? Could one not expect a better service life out of an OEM part?

Just asking...
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

There are other models of seat heaters out there that have a timer/shut-off and LED indicator and put out a little more heat. (134 deg F..?) I also have a dedicated switched fused circuit I could use.

My main concern is not how well it heats or the price it's how well will it stay in place on my cold vinyl seat? I don't want to have to fight a slipping sliding cushion every time I get in and out of my car or push back the seat.

I just may pick one up. The price can range anywhere from $15 to $90 and they all sound like they do about the same thing. Honestly, with my 120vac electric heater heating up my car before I leave and with my decent functioning heating system I really don't need it.

But I was out with my granddaughter in her new Toyota which has heated seats and it got me thinking. Not bad.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I sure like my heated and cooled leather seats when I’m on a little 1500 mile excursion.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Never really got the love for the cooled seats in my car but the heated ones all day and night.

And don't forget the heated steering wheel...pure bliss!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

We picked up a couple sets of heated gloves for our hands and heated jackets but it would still be nice to have some heat on the old butt. The trips in an open car that start out and/or end just a few degrees off freezing would be much more pleasant. We have lots of days like that here that are 70*F mid day but early morning and late evening suck at 60 mph in an open car.

The bikers at least have a warm engine between their legs, we have nothing.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

My granddaughter's fiancee is going to pick me up a Goodyear GY1140 seat heater/cushion from Menards, $25 range. It should have a high/low setting, on/off switch and an LED indicator. I believe it draws 4 amps.

I'll let you know what I think of it.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I bought a heated seat cushion on ebay 6 years ago for $12. Ran a 12 ga. wire from the battery to the double 12v. recepticle without a fuse. No problems, warm butt
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Bit of a drift off topic, but has anyone come across any seat cushion that adds side bolster support?

I tend to lean to one side on my truck's bench seat and end up with a sore back. I think side bolster support would help encourage me to sit straight.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

About my Goodyear heated seat cushion. It's 12vdc with an on/off switch and a low-off-high setting. It's rated at 3 amps low, 3.6 amps high or 36 watts low and 43.2 watts high. It has a fuse and an LED power indicator in the plug. Didn't find a model number.

I have a '69 Bug with an OEM vinyl high-wide headrest seat. The heated cushion doesn't fit very good. When mounted over the back it's a little short on the seat cushion length. The stretchy tie-down bands with small plastic hooks won't fit around the seat back. I tied string to the bands and then tied the strings together. The front bands are useless.

I pull the cushion-back downward to gain more seat cushion length. It doesn't move around too much when moving the back of the seat. The cushion is thin but it will raise you a little in the seat. If I had a modern cloth contoured seat it would stay in place better.

It heats very good for drawing so little power. It's perfect for a long trip on a cold day when you want to drive without a coat on. Or in bumper to bumper traffic when your heating system isn't putting out very much. But on short frequent trips in and out of the car, fighting with the cushion is a hassle. And it's no substitute for a good heating system. But I'll admit, it does make driving more comfortable.

I'm not sure of the cost. They gave it to me. Probably around $30. Overall, is it worth using one? I'd say yes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I must confess to having zero interest in an add on seat cushion. Been there, done that and not interested in the frustration of chasing it around the car getting in and out and constantly having to adjust it while driving.

Then there is the bloody cord that is always wrapped around your legs!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

I saw a video and LMC truck sells the heating pads that you can install under the cover. Might work well.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Bit of a drift off topic, but has anyone come across any seat cushion that adds side bolster support?

think this would have to be a diy solution. shouldn't be too difficult to do with some fabric and foam.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

think this would have to be a diy solution. shouldn't be too difficult to do with some fabric and foam.

I've been thinking about it as a rainy day project, but I'm a terrible seamstress.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Car Seat Heat Cushion Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

I've been thinking about it as a rainy day project, but I'm a terrible seamstress.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: