Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door card replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Door card replacement Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations for replacing the stock door cards that are stuck on the back of the vinyl? Mine are absolutely cooked and crumble apart at the slightest touch.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to fab some myself but I wanted to see if any of you had experience going that route. I'm having a hard time finding forums about this issue.

As always, thanks for the help.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Door card replacement Reply with quote

Are you trying to reuse the skin and replace the board underneath?

If so, here are some threads on the subject using masonite board:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Door card replacement Reply with quote

Quote:
door cards that are stuck on the back of the vinyl

I think that it's the vinyl that is stuck to the card.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Door card replacement Reply with quote

Given that the timber is going to "crumble apart at the slightest touch", I'd try removing the vinyl from the backboard.

Then scrape off as much mechanically from the vinyl. Given that vinyl is relatively waterproof, I'd give the vinyl a good scrub with a nylon brush and see how you go.The hardboard should disintegrate even more especially as the timber falls apart you get a nice pumice like effect which aids in removing even more of the stubborn timber fibres.

The issue may be the glue that might remain and that you don't want lumps in the front face of the doorcard.

Re-gluing it should not be too hard as many have done more than adequate jobs on this before. I know that there are places that laser cut new door timber backings, or you could make your own.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Door card replacement Reply with quote

I think "Masonite" that you can get commonly is a bit thicker than the original cards. That makes putting on the original vinyl difficult. If you can find something that is the same thickness, that would save a lot of headache.

Chuey
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Door card replacement Reply with quote

Here ya go:
https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product/vw-1965-19...ard-319127
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: