Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have searched here and the gallery but haven't been lucky in finding what I need to know. Has anybody tried the specific combination of an Okrasa 36hp motor with an early Eberspacher installed in the stock location? I am talking about the 8478 Eberspacher model, not a BN4 and the Wolfsburg West kit for 36hp. In looking at pics of both installed separately it looks like it would be awful close....particularly as the early heaters have a relay or something that is mounted on the side and sticks out towards the motor.

This is the heater I am referring to

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a pic of the motor (thanks Todd)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

I can answer because I tried.

It does not fit.

It would need tweaking both the support bar at the bus and the heater itself (too close to carb).
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

perello wrote:

It does not fit.

It would need tweaking both the support bar at the bus and the heater itself (too close to carb).

I guess that explains why I can't find pics of the combination. Darn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
perello wrote:

It does not fit.

You could always move the heater over and install a custom duct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

A bit more involved than that.

Below the heater is the rail the bumper brackets are attached too. you'd also have to cut a verticle support and the heater might not fit that close to the wheel well because of its length.
The flame switch on the 8478 heater is on the side and that might present a problem too.

ToolBox wrote:
buseric wrote:
perello wrote:

It does not fit.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

You have to pick heat or speed. Or just do what I did and use a modified 34PICT on a 1800. Bus does 70 easily.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

this is interesting Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Below the heater is the rail the bumper brackets are attached too. you'd also have to cut a verticle support and the heater might not fit that close to the wheel well because of its length.
The flame switch on the 8478 heater is on the side and that might present a problem too.

ToolBox wrote:
buseric wrote:
perello wrote:

It does not fit.

This. Its fairly involved and the bus is significant so won't be getting hacked. I wondered if I could relocate the flame switch and that would make the difference? This makes the 8478 a tighter fit than later heaters.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
crofty wrote:

ToolBox wrote:
buseric wrote:
perello wrote:

It does not fit.

This. Its fairly involved and the bus is significant so won't be getting hacked. I wondered if I could relocate the flame switch and that would make the difference? This makes the 8478 a tighter fit than later heaters.

If your Bus came with its heater, its NOS and i wouldnt alter that heater either!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
buseric wrote:
crofty wrote:

ToolBox wrote:
buseric wrote:
perello wrote:

It does not fit.

If your Bus came with its heater, its NOS and i wouldnt alter that heater either!

Well, it does look NOS, I was unsure if restored or NOS. I have 2 and both are nice....hmmm... go fast or heat....decisions
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a 72-74 bus firewall duct?, it tilts the heater to clear dual carbs, but if things are sticking out of the heater that interfere with other shit a custom exhaust pipe would be the least of your issues.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Has anyone tried a 72-74 bus firewall duct?, it tilts the heater to clear dual carbs, but if things are sticking out of the heater that interfere with other shit a custom exhaust pipe would be the least of your issues.
Id have to find a pic to see what you mean Mark. Be nice to explore all options.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Whoops forgot your running a 36hp.
Sett8ng aside dual carbs you could build a stroker with a big bore, 69.5 crank and 80mm pistons which are off the shelf, or a Porsche A/B 74mm crank machined for VW rods and use AAs shortened rods. For carburation you could use one of those 30 PICT Bocars with the manual choke or if money is no object get ahold of a Judson supercharger and an ambulance intake with the shortened neck.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Sett8ng aside dual carbs you could build a stroker with a big bore, 69.5 crank and 80mm pistons which are off the shelf, or a Porsche A/B 74mm crank machined for VW rods and use AAs shortened rods. For carburation you could use one of those 30 PICT Bocars with the manual choke or if money is no object get ahold of a Judson supercharger and an ambulance intake with the shortened neck.

This might be exactly what i do. Dual carbs really wake a motor up in my experience but this might be a good middle ground. Thanks for the thoughts Dan. I have heard mixed reviews on the Bocar carbs, but that was more on the 34pict copy. That said, I have used one successfully. Any hints on where to find the manual choke version of the 30 pict?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

This might be exactly what i do. Dual carbs really wake a motor up in my experience but this might be a good middle ground. Thanks for the thoughts Dan. I have heard mixed reviews on the Bocar carbs, but that was more on the 34pict copy. That said, I have used one successfully. Any hints on where to find the manual choke version of the 30 pict?

Hey Eric, I spaced, it’s a Brosol. John at air cooled has them. If you go the Judson route I’ve been hoarding a 36hp ambulance intake with the shorter neck for years. I’m thinking it is short enough that you don’t have to cut a hole in the luggage tray to clearance the air cleaner on the carb.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/30-PICT-1-Stock-Carburetor-Manual-Choke-113129027-p/113-129-027br.htm

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible

Last edited by Braukuche on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Hey Eric, I spaced, it’s a Bristol. John at air cooled has them. If you go the Judson route I’ve been hoarding a 36hp ambulance intake with the shorter neck for years. I’m thinking it is short enough that you don’t have to cut a hole in the luggage tray to clearance the air cleaner on the carb.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/30-PICT-1-Stock-Carburetor-Manual-Choke-113129027-p/113-129-027br.htm

Bocars, Bristol, Brosol, what's the difference when you are among friends Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Hey Eric, I spaced, it’s a Bristol. John at air cooled has them. If you go the Judson route I’ve been hoarding a 36hp ambulance intake with the shorter neck for years. I’m thinking it is short enough that you don’t have to cut a hole in the luggage tray to clearance the air cleaner on the carb.

I got spell CHECKED!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

I got spell CHECKED!

Don't worry about it, I got ya. Thanks man
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher heater and Okrasa dual carbs - does it fit? Reply with quote

There is not much room between the 1600 engine and the Eberspacher in this 56 bus. It makes it a bit awkward to change the plugs on the left side. 2008 pics.

The heat is really nice.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: