Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard to start after sitting…
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad69baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

I’ve got dual 40s on the 1776 in my 65 Bug. If it sits for a couple of days, it is very hard to start. It’s like all the fuel that was in the carb is gone and has to be pumped back to it. The cars runs perfect when it does start up. No fuel smell or visible leaks. I have an idea of what could be causing it but wanted to get some other input before starting to do anything to it. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

I’m have the same issue….if it sets for more than week I have to crank it over for as long as 20-30sec until the fuel bowls are filled b4 it fires up. If I start it every other day it’s one pump and done. I have no issues with gas fumes or indications of fuel in the oil. I just try and make it a habit of starting the bus up every few days. If someone has a fix I’m all ears.
The carbs are 3rd gen 40idf HPMX on a 1700 in a 67 bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad69baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
I’m have the same issue….if it sets for more than week I have to crank it over for as long as 20-30sec until the fuel bowls are filled b4 it fires up. If I start it every other day it’s one pump and done. I have no issues with gas fumes or indications of fuel in the oil. I just try and make it a habit of starting the bus up every few days. If someone has a fix I’m all ears.
The carbs are 3rd gen 40idf HPMX on a 1700 in a 67 bus.

Sounds like the same exact issue I’m having. Same carbs.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Old fuel pump?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

If it was shut off hot and been sitting a week, the fuel will be stale.
If you turn off the fuel pump early and let it run out of fuel before shutting off the engine, that should fix most of the problem.

A strong ignition system also helps starting.
bad69baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Old fuel pump?

It’s been on it for a few years.
bad69baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If it was shut off hot and been sitting a week, the fuel will be stale.
If you turn off the fuel pump early and let it run out of fuel before shutting off the engine, that should fix most of the problem.

A strong ignition system also helps starting.

It still has the mechanical fuel pump. Running electronic ignition.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

I think that's just typical mechanical fuel pump issues. I have th same issue with my Baja as well as another vehicle with an old sbc in it. my rail with electric fuel pump, not the same , just turn fuel pump on pump carb a few times ( no choke ) and it fires right up.
I thought about putting a small electric fuel pump on the Baja just to be able to prime the carb after its been sitting for a while but haven't gotten around to it...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Its a characteristic for a set of carburetor with out fuel enrichment circuits (chokes).... It is a "lean start" trying to draw fuel from carbs and if float bowls are "low", fuel pump has to fill float bowls before it can supply enough fuel to start....

IF you had electric fuel pump that could pre prime (fill) carbs starting would probably be easier...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Not very efficient to be pumping fuel with the starter.
Maybe you need a priming lever on there so you can hand pump it Wink
bad69baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Its a characteristic for a set of carburetor with out fuel enrichment circuits (chokes).... It is a "lean start" trying to draw fuel from carbs and if float bowls are "low", fuel pump has to fill float bowls before it can supply enough fuel to start....

IF you had electric fuel pump that could pre prime (fill) carbs starting would probably be easier...

I have several cars with dual carbs with no choke, and this is the only one that does it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Have you checked to see that the accelerator pumps are working good?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

bad69baja wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

I have several cars with dual carbs with no choke, and this is the only one that does it.

Time to work on carbs....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

I am with Dale, and Modok, not only the accelerator pumps but other parts in the carb get a wax looking crud.

Yes time to clean carbs.

Love my electric, I had my carbs rebuilt I switch the pump off and let the bug run till it dies. At first only if I knew I was not going to drive it for a few days.

Now all the time.

It goes to sleep for a few months we are being hit with snow and the salt and brime spray is down on the roads.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

This has gotten to be more and more of a problem in recent years.

Fuel formulations are becoming different and the results are typical.
Gas evaporates away far more quickly, and leaves residue.
Here in CA it has gotten really bad.
I have to buy race gas for the dirt bikes, mower, etc. because pump gas only lasts a couple of months tops, even in a sealed container.

Carburetor bowls are vented to atmosphere, as are early VW fuel tanks.
Like others here, i run an electric pump with a switch to shut it off and run the bowls dry if the car is going to sit.
I also put a plug in my tank vent hose as well.
Keep a clothespin on the steering wheel to remind me to pull the plug before taking the car out.. Wink

Modern cars have EFI and vapor recovery, so these issues do not arise unless they sit for months.

What’s That Noise?!?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Is it possible to run an electric pump in series with the factory pump and only turn on the electric pump just to prime the system if the dub has been sitting more than a week?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

umm. dont store your gas in the sun or in open containers Laughing

I havent had that issue. Gas must be better down here in the dirty south.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
umm. dont store your gas in the sun or in open containers Laughing

I havent had that issue. Gas must be better down here in the dirty south.

Thats part of it, some of the additive packages that Carb (California air resources board) has mandated make our gas garbage ... and I say "our" because here in Nevada our Gas gets trucked in from the refineries in Califorkistan and its the same stuff, they do not do a special Nevada Blend. our gas is definately not meant to sit around here... sure i could go to Maverik and buy "clear gas" 87 octane, its the same price as premium, and my cars dont sit long enough to justify it.

sorry for the long winded response
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to start after sitting… Reply with quote

There may be more to it than gas quality. I have 2 motorcycles here, a Honda 150 and a Yamaha 250, both 4 strokes. I fill both from the same Jerry can, the Yamaha will not start after sitting for a week unless I drain the old gas out of the carb and let it refill from the tank. That is a guarantee, never fails, no drain, no start! It's been like this since brand new! Last fall I started the Honda after sitting for 11 months. Started on the second kick just like it always does. Same fuel, no drain, no refill, no fresh gas, no stabilizer, absolutely nothing different!

And it's the same whether I use 10% ethanol 87 grade or no ethanol premium. No difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: