Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

I bought a couple replacement diaphragms, but screwed uo and didnt get the kits with the band clamp. Any suggestions on what you use? I did search.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

I doubt you're going to find the actual clamp that comes with the replacement servo kits by itself, but it's just a regular band clamp, albeit fairly large- measure the diameter of the canister and see if you can find an appropriate match, some parts place has to be selling something that will work.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Did not know you could purchase diaphragms alone and not in the kit. I wonder if those diaphragms are of higher quality? Where did you get them? And maybe that place also sells the clamps? If not, then the kits are not that expensive at all of the usual places.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Band camp is available
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, band clamp !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Cusser, you taking too many nips on the bottle hidden in the bottom shelf if your tool box today?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Cusser, you taking too many nips on the bottle hidden in the bottom shelf if your tool box today?

Had to - used up the bottle in the top shelf hoping that the Raiders and Chargers would not tie !!!

Read that Steelers had 8% chance of getting into postseason when Sunday started, then when Colts lost and Steelers beat Baltimore, the odds increased to over 99% because only way to be excluded would be if Raiders-Chargers tied. I figured when Raiders were ahead by 15 that there would be no tie, but when game went into overtime.......and then was tied in overtime.....

Wonder how my hair turned gray....

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Now make it matter by getting to the super bowl!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Did not know you could purchase diaphragms alone and not in the kit. I wonder if those diaphragms are of higher quality? Where did you get them? And maybe that place also sells the clamps? If not, then the kits are not that expensive at all of the usual places.

evwparts sells the diaphragm individually, I ordered just the diaphragm last year when the one that came in my first kit I ordered failed after two years. Rolling Eyes

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/113142055A-Diaphragm.html

Nice that the replacement kits have that removable band clamp, but I also went ahead and ordered a good used OEM canister (with the permanent band) sometime after so when this one fails I'll install the OEM and probably not have to worry about it again for a good long while.

1600 SP engine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Got the diaphragms on Ebay. But it looks like the clamp pinches the 2 halves together, so it need to have a U profile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Got the diaphragms on Ebay. But it looks like the clamp pinches the 2 halves together, so it need to have a U profile.

Yes, it is u-shaped. This video shows it all

Link

volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Fellas,
Truck air brake canister clamps could substitute. MANN or somesuch from memory. The more metric the better. Anybody gone down that path?

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

How about a band clamp from a metalbestos chimne pipe?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

What you want is called a V-band clamp. Once you measure the diameter of the housing, an internet search for that appropriate size should help you find the clamp you need. In the long run though, you may find it easier and more cost effective to just order another diaphragm kit that actually includes the clamp.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

I just ordered a Walker clamp from my FLAPS. Will let you know if it works and the part number. I can't believe that nobody has ever dealt with this before since the original clamp gets destroyed when its removed.....
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I just ordered a Walker clamp from my FLAPS. Will let you know if it works and the part number. I can't believe that nobody has ever dealt with this before since the original clamp gets destroyed when its removed.....

Understand what you're saying, but most folks buy the kit the first time with the reusable clamp. Wink

1600 SP engine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

The Walker clamp was too wide...Still looking and yeah, should have looked at the original clamp closer. Cant see how it could be removed without destroying it. Oh well.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
The Walker clamp was too wide...Still looking and yeah, should have looked at the original clamp closer. Cant see how it could be removed without destroying it. Oh well.

You do have to destroy the OEM clamp getting it off.
The replacement kits come with a new reusable clamp. I really think at this point your best bet is to just buy the kit. The extra diaphragm will probably come in handy anyway a few years down the road when your current replacement gives out, they are nowhere near the original VW OEM quality.

1600 SP engine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

You do have to destroy the OEM clamp getting it off.
The replacement kits come with a new reusable clamp. I really think at this point your best bet is to just buy the kit. The extra diaphragm will probably come in handy anyway a few years down the road when your current replacement gives out, they are nowhere near the original VW OEM quality.

Problem is that these are customer cars....not my own. But I guess it is what it is....
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

Hmmm,
A lot of searching elsewhere has revealed it is a M.A.N (or other) "Type 16" air brake canister. Either US/Euro Truck versions are made. Closing a 155 mm diameter IIRC. 6 1/4". Maybe worth a shot.

That info is from about 15 years perhaps...

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick vacuum canister band clamp source? Reply with quote

If you order the kit, then do the rest of us a favour and report any side-by-side quality differences you observe between the kit diaphragm and the eBay diaphragm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: