Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burfield957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking into buying a new Chinese carburetor that is based on a Weber 40 IDF. I know some people have bought them and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the quality of them? Are they good? Or a POS? Or should I just stay away from them. Any input and advice is appreciated, Thank You.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

Do a search on here. You'll need to strip them, verify the jets, set the float heights and give everything a good clean. The two sets I've had have worked ok but I have seen reports of various issues. Same with almost any aftermarket part I guess.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

I bought recently a pair of 40s on Amazon for $88 apiece. The f11 emulsion tubes were obviously bad so I replaced them with weber tubes and weber jets.
Cleaned, adjusted the floats, installed, and synced. Runs great with 50 idles, 120 mains, 200 airs, and 50 pump jets. All is good with the exception of lugging around a guilty conscience for sending American money to CHINA.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
I bought recently a pair of 40s on Amazon for $88 apiece. The f11 emulsion tubes were obviously bad so I replaced them with weber tubes and weber jets.
Cleaned, adjusted the floats, installed, and synced. Runs great with 50 idles, 120 mains, 200 airs, and 50 pump jets. All is good with the exception of lugging around a guilty conscience for sending American money to CHINA.

I second this, though my emulsions were good when I got mine for around the same price on ebay. for someone with not a huge amount of tuning experience and could not be called a carb master whatsoever.. they do the job, make good enough power and sound awesome when you press the happy pedal.. but i second IGpoe on the guilty conscience
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

I bought a pair of 44IDF clones & as mentioned in this post I had to do preliminary cleaning & adjusting of throttle plates. I just switched over all my jets & E tubes to the original Weber's and so far they have been working just fine.
Burfield957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

Thank You to everyone that pitched in. I appreciate all of the advice. I do feel guilty for buying from china though.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: To buy, or not to buy? Chinese Weber 40 IDF Reply with quote

Half the rest of the parts we get come from china, I'll not shed a tear. State of the times. Hard to avoid.

My second choice would be good used carbs from a fellow hobbyist.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: