Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quazi44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

I have a 69 beetle that I am trying to replace the outer seals on the pop out quarter Windows. Does anyone have a trick to make it easier???
LeninCas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poke them in with a flathead and use silicon or WD-40.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic knife with the teeth filed off(scrape them on the sidewalk) and soapy water and patience.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article that covers the process of replacing the popout seals:
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.net/how-to-articles/vw-popout-window-seal-replacement/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch the seal as you put it in. It makes the rubber lip that feeds into the channel thinner and it goes right in. When you release, it returns to it's thicker size and stays put.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used windex and a hard plastic scraper. From removing the window to installing the window...one hour. And actually 20 minutes of that was trying to get the screws in at the B pillar Rolling Eyes

Easier than I thought it would be.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483

Last edited by flyboy161 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient and take your time.

-jeffrey
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbor Freight sells a set of plastic panel/trim removers similar to what is shown in the video above. Just a few bucks but lots of utility on just about any weatherstrip/trim/other projects where you'd otherwise be tempted to use something that will jack up your paint.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

i need help guys.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its REAL hard to get this seal into the frame. And most of the time im just deforming the seal itself.

The seal is 5 plus years old. Was stored in a box of engine parts. but seems ok. No dry rot. I made sure the frame channel is clean.

help?
thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

Lay it in the sun to soften... and lost of silicon.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lay it in the sun to soften... and lost of silicon.

what sun lol?
I get what you mean tho. Ill give it a go.
thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

When you get a small section in, try sliding it back and forth to make sure it's fully seated.

Get a cold beer, put on some music and take your time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its tedious, no question about that. I used Windex instead of silicone.

Pulling on it can thin it out too, letting it slip in the groove.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

All seals from the last 15 + years are harder compared to the factory VW version , but they also last a lot longer. All my seals are WCM and none has any cracks after getting sun blasted for 10 years.

With a good lube and the strong narrow plastic bone (2nd from the right in your package) should take no more than 30 min per window.

Make sure your tool has no sharp edges.

1. clean out all the dirt and old seal from the frame with water, brush and soap
2. lube some of the frame and seal
3. place / insert the lower portion of the t-section into the lower part of the frame. Use your plastic tool and push in the upper portion of the T seal into the upper portion of the frame and slide along and repeat. You will be done in no time.
4. you might pull the seal a longer ( except the clued area ) to make it go in easier and just push it back. You will have to do it towards the corners anyway to make them sit good.
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

I used dielectric grease in the channel and on the seal and slowly popped it in with a little plastic tool. It was easy but a bit time consuming.
205T (Bill)
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

I tried lube when I did my pop-outs. It just made the job more difficult.

I used a mouse-trap cheese to press the rubber in. That’s right: go and buy a mouse trap with the little rectangular plastic cheese on its trigger. Remove the cheese from the trap, and use the edge of your yellow treasure to press the rubber in without damaging it (the rubber, that is).

The “trick” is to make the rubber seal smaller, so that it fits easier into the groove. You do this by stretching it about two inches at a time, then pressing in the stretched (smaller) rubber. The rubber won’t slip in your hands, or out of the window groove, because you aren’t using slippery lube, remember? After about six inches, you have to massage the stretched rubber back into its normal shape. So, basically it’s two steps forward, and one step back. If you skip this part, you end up with a lot of stretched seal at the end of this ordeal. Of course, you don’t want that, so stretch a little, press it in the groove, stretch a little more, and repeat; then massage about half of the stretched length back to its original, fat-ass, shape.

Keep doing this until you get toward the end. You’ll still have too much seal, so massage it back into its fat, normal, shape.

The lube just seemed to make the rubber too slippery to handle, and the seal would just slip out of the groove, much easier than it went in.

However, you do want to clean out the groove first with WD-40. Clean it well, then wipe out 99% of the WD-40; then get to stretching, pressing with your cheese tool, then un-stretching … just a little at a time.

Pulling your own teeth is a bit easier, and my method is slow. But it works. When completed, you should end up with a few waves, but they disappear after a week, so don’t worry yourself about it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

Does Bic still make cheap pens any more? Decades ago now, I installed popout frame seals (admittedly, 64/older style) I used the cap from a cheap Bic pen, the pointy bit, as my tool to press the seal into the channel. And yes it was warm and I think used Windex as lube.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: how do you replace the quarter pop out window outer seal? Reply with quote

If the wife/girlfriend/other will let you bring the work indoors. Place the seal on top of a heater vent to soften and use water with dawn dish soap (about 3 drops per 1/4 cup) in a spray bottle and a plastic trim tool and take your time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: