Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown brand Dunebuggy project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I decided to separate my new Dune Buggy project from my Fastback build thread right from the get go. Bought this off of Facebook marketplace this week to fulfill a bucket list wish to build a dunebuggy. body needs some fiberglass repair (bucketlist wish to learn), I would like to swap my type 3 motor and automatic transmission over to the buggy when I swap my new engine in. general theme is going for an Ice Racer capable summer/fall runner.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

isucorvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Nice buy. I saw that body, just didnt pull the trigger. It would just sit here for several years, waiting for my autocrosser build, after my Manx.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

This one i think was sitting around in MN with about 5 others before buying from the current owner. I figure it'll take a year or two beyond when my fastback bodywork is done to complete this.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Another ice racer Buggy! Sweet!

Can't wait for you to get it going so we can swap lies!

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Another ice racer Buggy! Sweet!

Can't wait for you to get it going so we can swap lies!

What are you running engine and tire wise?
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Would it be easier to cut off the rear of the chassis and weld the type 3 in place of it?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I have multiple spare type 3 pans. I was going to explore using the bolt on rear subframe. The front napoleon is far off though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
What are you running engine and tire wise?

We only got a chance to run it once (this saw our 3rd year to ice race but the first with the Buggy) before COVID rules shut our ice racing down. I learned a lot about what it's going to take to be competitive.

This is an amateur club we formed aimed mostly toward beginner drivers, 14 to 25 years old mostly. We only have one class and it is a street class of car. The rules are simple: 1) Bring what you normally drive on the street. 2) be safe and have fun!

We get a great variety of vehicles, the odd one of course that is not a street vehicle. They just don't count for the trophies!

We quickly learned that HP makes no real difference on ice. Two wheel drive, four wheel drive or all wheel drive is not a deal breaker either. The two big ones are tires and driving skill set!

Back to our Buggy, it had a 1600 DP with Kadrons, 009 and a 4 into 1 exhaust with a stinger. Tire wise we were running BFG TA mud and snow. There are no doubt better choices but the tires were not our biggest problem. Drivability was! Set up as described this engine was a bear to start without chokes and just would not warm up enough to run smoothly. It would either be back firing and bogging or spinning the tires, nothing between!

Drivability is paramount on ice, you need a smooth and very predictable power curve to run on the edge of traction! The car was extremely frustrating to try and drive and finished in the bottom 1/3 of the field. Any "touchiness" at all and you are at a great disadvantage!

My advice to you engine wise is this: carb/carbs with working chokes are a must. Thermostat, flaps and all the stock tins have to be on and in good working order. Center mounted carbs will not work unless there is maximum possible flow through the heat riser and carb/air cleaner pre heat is essential!

Test run it lots and get ALL the bogs and stumbles out with mixture and timing before the race.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Grass roots racing is the absolute best. Nothing but fun. Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

A little progress this week picking up a rolling donor. 71 standard

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Nice find!
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

That didn't take long

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Careful with the buggy body fitment: You may encounter interference with the bottom of the battery box and the diagonal semi-trailing arms of the rear suspension. 35 yrs ago I bought a similar Manx clone that was loosely fitted to an already shortened IRS pan, but there is contact with the battery box. Causes the body to sit about 2" high at the center tunnel near the stamped VIN. My buggy body looks very much like yours except it has a shield-shaped bump at the nose for a Manx-style emblem. The underside of my front fenders also have reinforcement ribs glassed in. Even the rear body contours and the license plate raised area are exactly the same as yours. I sent photos of mine to the Manx Registry several years ago but they could not identify it. I've not done anything with it in all these years.

Is that a Deep Sea Green '70 Fastback in your garage?
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I'm not to concerned, I'll massage everything to fit properly. Yes 70 green fastback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I have a '70 411 Squareback and a '71 type 3 Squareback in the hay shed, both in that same dark green. It must have been a popular color back then.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Minor progress, I got the pan into the garage under the body to check out the condition of the pan. It's in pretty good shape but has the flimsy Brazilian replacement pans that have poor support at the front corners. I think in addition to the full cage I was planning on installing I will probably reinforce the pan a little with some additional channeled steel and eventually bolt a skid plate on it.

otherwise I finally had my garage heater installed so I am set to start marking the spots needing fiberglass repair and the spots that I can simply fill before throwing a top layer of Kevlar on the body.

my fastback's Limebug Air ride is a few weeks out at which point I'll be switching back to getting that installed with my 5x130 disc brakes and porsche D90 wheels for this summer.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703406&start=80
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Next time you're in the garage, would you please take a photo of the underside of either front fender? I'd be curious if the reinforcing ribs on my buggy body are also on yours. Turn your flash ON, not just automatic, but ON so that it flashes and lightens up that dark area. There's enough space between the top of the tire and the underside of the fender to see if there are any ribs.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Sure, i didn't see anything i would consider ribbing
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Agree- nothing there compared to mine. Good shot- thanks!
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I've been digging through facebook and Dune buggy archives for about a week now and think it might be a dunbar inc. MiniVolks with a replaced dashboard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: