Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle with sport wheels Reply with quote

My Beetle has 15" sport wheels and Cooper Lifeliner Touring GLS 215 60 R15 radials. They appear to be fairly new (I need to find a date code to see how new) and I figured they'd be good for quite a while. However, I've determined that they rub when the wheels are turned sharply. Now, I'm thinking about replacing them. What size would be correct? Also, would VW have used Continental tires as original equipment? My spare is a Continental and looks very vintage.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

Should be a sticker in your glovebox that tells you size and pressure recommendations.

I guess you need to confirm whether your wheels are VW OEM or aftermarket as this affects wheel offsets etc.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

I "think" the 5.5x15 sport wheels has 185/70-15 tires.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

If they indeed they are 5.5” then the standard maximum size tyre that should be used is 195mm!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

Look at the face of the wheel to get the rim size, it'll be either 4.5 or 5.5. It'll determine which tire you should run.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

Look at the wheels. The have stampings on them that indicate thw wheel size. Go out and look at them then post the information. That will tell us what you may want to use.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

I didn't realize there were different widths for the sport wheels. I actually bought another set of sport wheels a couple weeks ago and refinished them as they were in better condition than the ones on the car. I just measured one and it's 4 1/2". I don't know how wide the ones are on the car. It's at a repair shop at the moment. I'll have to check into it when I get the car back. Why did they offer the two different widths? Are the wider wheels meant for the buses? Would a wider wheel make the car handle better? if it happens that the ones on my car are 5.5" and it would be better to have them as opposed to the 4 1/2", I can always refinish them and sell the set I just bought. I was told the set I bought came off a '79 convertible.
olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

The 5.5 width sport wheels were used on the sport bug special edition, and Porsche 914. The love bug, and 75 and newer beetles used 4.5 width. Not all the 4.5 rims have the same offset either. Some are ET41, some ET34. I’m looking for a pair of the 5.5” rims.
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

I just looked at the wheels I refinished and I now see that they're clearly stamped 4 1/2 X 15 and ET 41. Can't believe I overlooked that before.
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

The difference between the 4.5 and 5.5in wheels are slight. If one is new to the bug world, it’s an easy mistake. I have a set of 5.5 sport wheels off a 914, and have run them for years. Most people have no idea they are wider than stock. I like the subtle look and the thought of running a wider tire. Seems to fill out the wheel well nicely.
The sizes I run are 205/60 in the rear and 195/60 in the front. In order for these to not rub on the front, I used the tapered springs from Topline. I assume yours were rubbing on the inner spring? Not the fender? There are a few different offsets on the Sports Wheels. Like Glen mentioned above, 185 is what they ran stock on the Sports Bugs of the day.
Keep us posted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

Epilog79 wrote:
Most people have no idea they are wider than stock. I like the subtle look and the thought of running a wider tire. Seems to fill out the wheel well nicely.

914 wheels have a deeper offset so the extra width is to the inside of the car.

These are real 914 5.5x15 alloys with a 195/60-15 tire. Front is lowered 3".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
My Beetle has 15" sport wheels and Cooper Lifeliner Touring GLS 215 60 R15 radials..

Shocked BEGGING for an accident that may kill you or others.

viiking wrote:
If they indeed they are 5.5” then the standard maximum size tyre that should be used is 195mm!

Exactly

Epilog79 wrote:

The sizes I run are 205/60 in the rear

Not too wise either.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

This is good information to know about the tire size affecting the handling. I noticed that the car didn't feel the best going around corners at speed. Based on what I know now, I'll definitely be replacing them. It's still at the repair shop having old fuel hoses replaced and getting other routine maintenance done. Was hoping to do some of it myself, but the weather here prevented that. I'm anxious to get it back. The tires will be next on my agenda to address. I'm not the biggest fan of Coopers anyway and wasn't really happy with the fact that someone put tires that large on the car. Won't be sad to see them go.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
This is good information to know about the tire size affecting the handling. I noticed that the car didn't feel the best going around corners at speed. Based on what I know now, I'll definitely be replacing them. It's still at the repair shop having old fuel hoses replaced and getting other routine maintenance done. Was hoping to do some of it myself, but the weather here prevented that. I'm anxious to get it back. The tires will be next on my agenda to address. I'm not the biggest fan of Coopers anyway and wasn't really happy with the fact that someone put tires that large on the car. Won't be sad to see them go.

Fantastic that is great to hear, thank u for looking out for the safety of yourself and others.
Seems like a lot of folks on here recently who have put too wide tires on their stock rims and don't give a crap because "they look great" or some such.
You might try some Nexens from Wal-Mart or other online sources- inexpensive all-season tires that lots of folks seem to have good luck with.

1600 SP engine
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

I've done some investigating and it looks like the factory tire size is 165 15. I looked on Tire Rack's website and they only show two results:

Vredestein Sprint Classic 165 HR15 - $136.14 each (summer tires, not all season)
Pirelli Cinturato CN36 165 80 R15 - $209.48 each (not in stock and would have to be obtained through Pirelli directly)

The only other choice I found in a 165 80 R15 is a Nexen SB802. Prices vary, but they can be had for less than $80 each. This is what I'll go with. I had Nexen tires put on the '72 Super Beetle I used to have and it was probably the same tire. Now it's just a matter of who has the best deal on them.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

The cheapest I found them was Tire America, but you'd still have to pay someone for mounting/ balancing:

https://www.tireamerica.com/global-search/tires?Ntt=nexen%20sb802&brandName=Nexen

Plus when I just looked them up now it popped up a 5% off coupon as well.
For convenience sake though you might just get them from Wal-Mart for a bit more.

You could probably get away with a 175 or even 185 width tire on your 4.5" stock rims which might give you a few more options. But 185 is the absolute max width I would go.

1600 SP engine
ScottK66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

A new set of Nexen tires has been ordered. Got one for the spare as well. The Continental tire in the trunk is flat and even if it holds air, I wouldn't trust it because I'm sure it's very old.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

Epilog79 wrote:
The difference between the 4.5 and 5.5in wheels are slight. If one is new to the bug world, it’s an easy mistake. I have a set of 5.5 sport wheels off a 914, and have run them for years. Most people have no idea they are wider than stock. I like the subtle look and the thought of running a wider tire. Seems to fill out the wheel well nicely.
The sizes I run are 205/60 in the rear and 195/60 in the front. In order for these to not rub on the front, I used the tapered springs from Topline. I assume yours were rubbing on the inner spring? Not the fender? There are a few different offsets on the Sports Wheels. Like Glen mentioned above, 185 is what they ran stock on the Sports Bugs of the day.
Keep us posted.

FYI 175/70r15 was the sport bug tires size on the 5.5 rims, not 185
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

ScottK66 wrote:
A new set of Nexen tires has been ordered. Got one for the spare as well. The Continental tire in the trunk is flat and even if it holds air, I wouldn't trust it because I'm sure it's very old.

Great! Please report back on how you feel the car handles with the new tires- those Nexens are what I am looking at whenever these crappy Federal tires I bought wear out.
Good to get a new spare as well esp. if you are running the windshield washer off it! Wink

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Tire Size for a '77 Beetle Reply with quote

The nexens aren't bad at all for the price, honestly.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: