Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L81 Parchment White Paint Code
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleverman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

Anyone have a PPG or Ditzler paint code for L81? Need to paint my 57 wheels. If not, what have you guys used for parchment white? Thanks in advance
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ? I need to get mine painted to. But have no color to match.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you need to paint the inner rim on a black bug? You may have to go with mailorder through TPCGlobal if you can't get it through local sources. If you go to http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1957-Volkswagen-pg01.jpg it gives you pricing. I'd contact TCP directly to make sure that they can mix L81. But my guess, IF they can mix it, you should be able to get it mixed locally as well.
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a body shop our computer does not go back that far. We spray sikkens. Just looking for a close color code. I do not have a sample to use our paint camera on.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a formula/modern code for L81. IF nobody else pipes up and IF TPC is not an option you could spend $35 on a custom mix spray bomb of L81 from Tower Paint and then match to that. I also trolled an old build thread referenced below that referenced parchment white and came upon this mention. If you like the look of the rims in the photo, it might be worth a shot of running to your local big box and spending $5 on Krylon Ivory and seeing if it is anywheres close to whatever little patch of paint you have. Unfortunately, VW was using so many variations of white for the inner rims in 56-57 it can be tough to find the color - I got lucky in that L87 (perlon) is widely available. Good luck.

Schwing wrote:

Painted the wheels for fun so I could see if I like the color combo. Should be L41 Black outers and L81 Parchment White centers. Somebody on the Samba said that Krylon black and ivory look pretty good so I thought I'd try it out. Turned out much better than I thought so the plan is to stay with Krylon. I can use the same Ivory to paint seat frames, steering column, etc for uniformity--plus this gives me the ability to touch-up pretty easily.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasurit is original paint. They mix most of old formulars.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php? Unfortunately, plugging L81 into their database results in PERGAMENTWEISS listed as a 1976-87 color. Could be a match to the 50's color (it is white afterall), then again, maybe not. The good thing about Glasurit is that it gives the actual formula - deciphering it is another matter.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
I have yet to see a formula/modern code for L81. IF nobody else pipes up and IF TPC is not an option you could spend $35 on a custom mix spray bomb of L81 from Tower Paint and then match to that. I also trolled an old build thread referenced below that referenced parchment white and came upon this mention. If you like the look of the rims in the photo, it might be worth a shot of running to your local big box and spending $5 on Krylon Ivory and seeing if it is anywheres close to whatever little patch of paint you have. Unfortunately, VW was using so many variations of white for the inner rims in 56-57 it can be tough to find the color - I got lucky in that L87 (perlon) is widely available. Good luck.

Schwing wrote:

Painted the wheels for fun so I could see if I like the color combo. Should be L41 Black outers and L81 Parchment White centers. Somebody on the Samba said that Krylon black and ivory look pretty good so I thought I'd try it out. Turned out much better than I thought so the plan is to stay with Krylon. I can use the same Ivory to paint seat frames, steering column, etc for uniformity--plus this gives me the ability to touch-up pretty easily.

Krylon probably doesn't hold up as well as Sikkens or Glasurit but 3 years later I have to say they still look decent. I always go rattle can because they get beat up when you drive em.

This is likely the same wheel in the original pic since I have rotated the tires. Smile

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got an original wheel with some white on it. Looking through vw colors and looking at chips. I think r902 the yellower version is close going to do a spray out. I think it's called Arctic white.
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

I am wanting to paint my OG wheels and wondering if anyone came up with a close spray can match for L81 Parchment White. Not having much luck finding anything. Thanks.
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

I found PPG 8237 1958, L87 Perlon, PPG is calling is Pearl White. I guess this would be a pretty close?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

imtb wrote:
I found PPG 8237 1958, L87 Perlon, PPG is calling is Pearl White. I guess this would be a pretty close?

No, pearl white is much more yellowish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

Garwood notes 57 wheel discs as L87 Pearl White, while the Birth cert and some other posters note L81 Parchment White.

Is this an error in the COTC Book or were both offered?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Garwood notes 57 wheel discs as L87 Pearl White, while the Birth cert and some other posters note L81 Parchment White.

For which body colour do you ask?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

The 1986 edition of COTC if full of errors in the color charts for oval windows.

Garwood fixed many of the errors in the 1987 update, but I don't believe he got them all.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
bnam wrote:

For which body colour do you ask?

COTC (mine is the 87 edition) - shows L87 for all colors. The car I’m asking about specifically is L41
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

For L41 Black cars, some official VW color charts do not list L81 Parchment White as a rim color for the 1956 and 1957 model years, but L87 Pearl White. However, it is listed for 1953-55 and 1958-59. Confusing, isn't it?

I have a pair of original paint '58-'59 rims from a black car and some original paint L87 body parts from a '61 my parents once owned. I'll have to compare the body parts to the rim centers.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

From April 1956 onwards:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater/12/12.jpg

From August 1957 onwards:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater/12_1/2.jpg

Both show L81 parchment white
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 2014:
*Darren wrote:
http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php? Unfortunately, plugging L81 into their database results in PERGAMENTWEISS listed as a 1976-87 color. Could be a match to the 50's color (it is white afterall), then again, maybe not. The good thing about Glasurit is that it gives the actual formula - deciphering it is another matter.

For the most recent posters' benefit, "Pergamentweiss" describes parchment white in German. Parchment paper, such as used in centuries-old documents, is Pergamentpapier in German.
bruiserbabie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: L81 Parchment White Paint Code Reply with quote

I just wanted to add to this with my input, this is what I found.....

So I have been looking into things on this topic and found out that Parchment white L81 and Pearl white L87 are in fact the same paint color and formula mixture, looks like VW just changed the name. So I went to my local paint store and bought a quart of PPG Omni coat Pearl white paint L87, which is a less expensive PPG paint. The mix was way way off, it was not even close, it was more of a blue tinted gray, not anywhere near an Ivory color. See in the pics below and you will see my 58' bus dash is factory Pearl white, so I had that to go by to get a match. Then I had them mix me a more expensive blend of PPG the Concept Deltron Pearl white L87 and boy o boy was it spot on!!! In the pics below you will see my 56' bug wheel is also parchment white / pearl white (from the factory), I painted the centers of all 5 of my new wheels with the PPG Concepts Deltron Pearl white L87 and it turned out perfect, also see the Rustoleum Almond painted turn signal housing next to the wheel to see the contrast (difference). I am also going to be painting my Batwing steering wheel with the same Pearl White L87 (that is also what VW used in the factory for steering wheels. I will post another photo later once its been painted, I am doing it this Friday. Thanks and I hope this helps! Please note that the wheel center pics below are the same exact color but do look a lot different in the different light and at different angles. lol but are the exact same wheel haha

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: