Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if there are any other folks in my area that are VW enthusiasts? I'm sure there must be..... So sound off!

I recently acquired a 74 super beetle in very good condition and have started a restoration project on this car. The car sat in a shop for 30+ years in the Texas panhandle and is in need of some TLC. I was able to get it running and driving before I pulled it into my shop where it will remain until it is finished.

Looking forward to gleaning a lot of good information from the folks in this forum.

Jim B.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

There are a few of us here, not sure how many are active though.
Jim B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

Hi mukluk,

Thanks for the reply! I'm in Blackwell (Oakcreek lake) about 45 mi west of Abilene. Hope to meet some VW folks in this area, maybe a few more will chime in.

Jim B.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

I know it is a long way to go, but everything in Texas is.............(I used to live in San Antonio and would drive to Austin for lunch at the Original old man Schlotskys place). Anyway, seems like EVERYBODY has a VW in Rockwall, Texas.....a little east of you.
Jim B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

Hi wheel607.

Yes sir, I certainly agree! Living here in west central Texas "drives" that point home (pun intended). If my wife and I go shopping in either of the three cities I listed above, it takes most of a day (if you hurry). That's just the way it is when you live in the sticks. I was in the DFW area on Wednesday and it made me appreciate where I live, Although at times it can be inconvenient. I'm sure it can be the same situation in Rockwall due to the traffic you have to deal with if you go across town.

Thanks for chiming in!

Jim B.
Jim B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

A few pics of my 74 Super. "in progress"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

Looks like a solid and fairly straight car. Have any plans in mind?
Jim B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any VW enthusiasts in West Texas? (Sweetwater, Abilene, Angelo) Reply with quote

Yes sir I do!

I have been under, inside, and all around the chassis and cannot find anything other than some surface rust. So my plan is to leave the body on and wire wheel the underside and paint. Pull the motor and transaxle clean them up and service the transaxle. I will most likely go back with a performance long block, 1776 maybe? Overhaul the front suspension with adjustable struts so I can lower the front end. Would like to go back with disc brakes on the front if budget allows. Would love to install pop-outs for the rear quarter windows as well. Replace all the body rubber and window scrappers. Also install new interior.

I know this will not happen overnite, but I am retired and have the time to spend a few hours every day (weather permitting). If you have any suggestions on the process please speak up, I'm all ears.

Jim

PS Obviously I forgot to insert somewhere "body and paint". That should be before re-installing new rubber on the body and interior.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: