Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Hello Samba community

I have a recently acquired 72 Bug with the original AE engine that I have been working through all the issues.

This winter I plan to pull the engine to replace the engine bay seals. The engine is not leaking oil (no oil in the garage floor).

My question: Should I replace the oil cooler seals and or the rear main seal while I have the engine out? Or leave well enough alone?
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

It's a cheap and fast work, buy a good quality and change both or at least the flywheel one...
Or just ask the PO if he changed them not so long ago.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Maybe even pull the sheet metal clean up and repaint if needed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

I’m a firm believer in leaving well enough alone. If I had no leaks now I would not change anything.
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

I plan to also clean and paint tins, also make sure all the tins are present, install missing themostat and rod, check torque on heads, clean/degrease engine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Baccabug wrote:
This winter I plan to pull the engine to replace the engine bay seals. The engine is not leaking oil (no oil in the garage floor).

My question: Should I replace the oil cooler seals and or the rear main seal while I have the engine out? Or leave well enough alone?

I will address your question this way: what would I do if it was mine.

Yes, the engine compartment rubber seals. I would pull off the pressure plate and measure the clutch disc, and replace if too thin; if your 7mm open end wrench fits over the edge, it's too thin and replace the disc.

Paint tins if needed. Put a clamp on the hidden side of the metal tube through the shroud. Replace foam around oil cooler exit tins if bad/missing. Check for Hoover bit on the cooler, make or buy one if missing. Might be a good time to replace the starter bushing, inexpensive and easy to R&R while the engine is out. Put a tad of grease on the starter teeth and inside the gland nut. Clean and lube the clutch cable threads and wing nut; remember if you add a new disc to back off the clutch cable adjustment and adjust after engine is installed. Maybe replace the fuel line from the pan to the metal tube around the left side of the engine. Check rear transmission mounts, replace if needed.

I like the CB Maxi2 oil pump/filter units, easier to install that with engine out.

I might think of more, but wouldn't do the front oil seal unless the flywheel was pulled off for some reason, and wouldn't do the 4 oil cooler seals if there wasn't leakage (but could change my mind on that one!!!).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Cusser, I will be adding your suggestions to my todo list.

Probably a good time to check the plugs too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Baccabug wrote:
Probably a good time to check the plugs too.

Yes, easier to replace the plugs with the engine out. I have a magnetic spark plug socket, like 45 years old (it came with a spare magnet !!!).

Remove the spark plug wires one at a time, and you know why. Also note that the cylinder numbers are stamped into the upper tins, and you can see those easily with the engine out.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

I'd say assess the whole car project and figure out what your goal is and what the car needs. A lot of folks think that getting the engine running is primary, but in my opinion, just do everything else and get to the engine last. It's an easy mechanical item that can be uninstalled and reinstalled without much disruption to other cosmetic or structural items the vehicle may require.

Is the car a rusty project with no brakes and sketchy electrical? Or is everything complete and solid, and it's ready for an engine rebuild? It's nice to have the engine totally out of the way if you are doing some welding and painting.

It's fun to make vroom vroom noises, but if the car is a wiring rat's nest, and questionable running gear, what's the point? If the engine is truly 'original' to a 50-year-old vehicle it probably needs rebuilt anyway - why just worry about a couple gaskets when you can have the entire longblock freshened, and like Cusser said, improve a few items like adding an oil filter kit. (And it's in the way of replacing the old transaxle that probably needs rebuilt too)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Yep already past the assessment, wiring all cleaned up, the bug is a southern car so no rust, the engine runs well and trans seems good/shifts well. I'm now wanting to make sure the engine stays cool in the summer and cleanup the engine bay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/quote]

Last edited by Baccabug on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Beautiful
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Looks great! Gosh a lot of folks will buy a sad rust bucket and start with the engine, but it turns into a rusty engine test stand in their garage until they sell it as a basket case.

In your case the engine is pretty much the last thing, you could really finish the clean look by repainting tins and freshening up the engine all around. Not a bad time for new intake gaskets as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Just want to thank everyone for the input, here is what I was able to accomplish when I pulled the engine. Along before and after pics.

Repair stripped threads on #3 spark plug, replace exhaust manifold studs (bent) on #2 cylinder, remove flywheel to have it resurfaced, replace flywheel oil seal, replaced gland nut pilot bearing, replace engine main seal, Clean and paint engine tins. Replace: engine bay seals, cloth braided fuel tubing from fuel line to fuel pump and carburetor, oil cooler seals, pushrod tubes seals, valve adjusting bolts, clutch return spring, clutch, thowout bearing, pressure plate). Adjust clutch cable, adjust valves, install missing thermostat bellows and linkage. Re-install engine.

johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Nicely done!! Very Happy
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Looks great! Just need a factory SVDA distributor on that puppy....or DVDA if it's a rebuilt Solex carb for a '72...

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Baccabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Looks great! Just need a factory SVDA distributor on that puppy....or DVDA if it's a rebuilt Solex carb for a '72...

Rebuilt SVDA on the way from bill@sparxwerks. Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Noob here - 72 Bug advise needed Reply with quote

Nicel done looks like my 72 engine bay.
Bill does top shelf work and you will be glad with the distributor.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: