Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

update i just picked up this new engle w90 cam . .the cam has 265 duration 327 valve lift at cam wit 1.1 .1 rockers 297 lift 108 lobe center 108 . i have run this cam .and like the way it runs. real street frindly
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Hey Spencer, any chance I could get you to lay that cam card down flat and post a close-up picture for me?

I have a pretty big collection of cam cards in my library, but for some reason I don't have the Engle W-90.

Thanks in advance, man.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Hey Spencer, any chance I could get you to lay that cam card down flat and post a close-up picture for me?

I have a pretty big collection of cam cards in my library, but for some reason I don't have the Engle W-90.

Thanks in advance, man.
..........................................................................................................................hi sure thing take your pick take care sprncerfvee

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

hi does any one have hot vws MPG motor build if you do can you post it spencerfvee
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Prius.. 'nuff said
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

KEGZ wrote:
Prius.. 'nuff said

Nope... TDI! Wink

Laughing
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi does any one have hot vws MPG motor build if you do can you post it spencerfvee

It was a 19 part series. You can download it from CB Performance.

https://www.cbperformance.com/Featured-Articles-s/142.htm
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Going wwwaaaaaay back to the 1st page; you mentioned you don't want a remote breather because you want it to look stock.

What about mounting one on the back of the fan shroud?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:

It was a 19 part series. You can download it from CB Performance.

https://www.cbperformance.com/Featured-Articles-s/142.htm
.............................................................................................................thanks racer dave . dave i would rather build a all out drag race motor. than this mpg motor lol lol its been fun spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Shane Tuttle wrote:
Going wwwaaaaaay back to the 1st page; you mentioned you don't want a remote breather because you want it to look stock.

What about mounting one on the back of the fan shroud?
...........................................................................................................................................i thought about it two .i dont think i will need it i am only going to max of 4,800 rpm no more . on the road running from 3,200 rpm to 3,600 rpm . about what a stock motor runs at spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Correct! You don't need it!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

modok wrote:
As a basic idea the crank mass is proportional to the stiffness, but that can be broken if the crank is lightened in particular ways.

I think the only way you could safely lighten a VW crank to any real extent would be to center drill all the journals but you could only drill so far without breaching the oil drillings. The material in the very center of a round object contributes very little to it's strength.

modok wrote:
But if we talk about reducing the mass of the rods and pistons I don't think you would have any objection.

What about the RATIO of the rotating to the reciprocating masses.

This right here I have often though about over the years. I have seen counterweights of various sizes and shapes offered for sale but they never specify what rod and piston weights they work best with! That to me has always been a glaring omission! Does that indicate that the research has never been done? I cannot believe that there is a one size fits all solution. I also believe that is part of the reason some bore/stroke combinations prove to work better than others.

modok wrote:
A VW engine with a heavy crank and light pistons and rods is super smooth and quiet. Vibration and noise is caused by lost energy right?

Indicating in my mind that this is an area that needs much more research. Unfortunately it's way above my pay grade to pursue...
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
KEGZ wrote:
Prius.. 'nuff said

Nope... TDI! Wink

Laughing

I see your TDI.. and I raise you the Peugeot 208 (73.6 mpg)
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

KEGZ wrote:
oprn wrote:
KEGZ wrote:
Prius.. 'nuff said

Nope... TDI! Wink

Laughing

I second the holy TDI
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

I think another thing you can do on a mileage motor is to run tighter clearances on the bearings, a thinner oil (5W20?) and blueprint yourself an OEM 21mm oil pump to reduce the parasitic losses of trying to pump a standard weight oil. Full flow with a filter

I would definitely also look into somehow running pistons with thinner rings too, but not sure it'll be easy to source compatible stuff in a smaller bore like 85.5. If I'm not mistaken you can work up some other auto application in something like a 92mm? Not sure on pin height. Going to an 1835cc may be a step in the wrong direction? Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

How about, tighter clearances and 26mm pump in addition to hoover mods to eliminate the need for a smaller pump?

more oiling to needed areas
less friction
thinner oil/tighter clearances
win/win?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

I'm not convinced the hoover mods are really needed on a streetgoing light car that will just be cruising.

But I've only ever run them on one engine. I didn't see any significant differences to stock on a 1600.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Yes, the Hoover mods are most interesting on engines with higher sustained load. The extra oil sling inside the case is also counterproductive. However, equalling the temperatures in the engine side to side has other advantages as well as keeping the internal lubricated at all times.
As for tightening the tolerances, reduce oil sling and use a smaller pump is one way to do it. But I would rather sacrifice that and do it the other way around. Use a 26 mm pump and reduce max pressure and reduce parasitic losses that way around. Donīt know about the Berg relief covers today, but the CSP version is OK. Just double check the bleed off pressure. The reason to this approach is the fact that with more oil flow in the engine you get both better lubrication, but also more oil to pull heat away from given areas which again can help improve ring seal and reduce friction.
Hoover mods along with a 21 mm pump works as such, but there is little to no reserve pressure unless you go with a 20w 50 oil. Then the idea sort of disappears again.
Oil temperature efficiency. - While keeping the oil temperature up is generally not a problem I would like to add that if you are after the most power efficient oil temperature in an acvw (type1) it is in the 80 to 86 degree C window.

While thinner more modern rings aboslutely can make a difference, it is still minor in an ACVW engine tuning low rpms. One thing that is much more important is cylinder prep, as we have also discussed in other threads. I donīt know how the general condition were with new cylinders before approx 2008 because before that I hardly ever measured new cylinders. Today I measure everything, and I can tell you that it doesnt matter if it says Mahle or AA on the casing, The cylinders are out of round, Mahle being the worst. Mahle rings are better than AA, Mahle pistons are better than AA, IF you are turning higher rpms. In this case it doesnt matter much. AA pistons balance better than Mahle.
Speaking of ring seal. While this will soon make it a more complicated engine to build you could opt for B pistons in order to reduce pin height and thereby piston ratle.That will help more than going down in ring width.

Another subject is cooling capacity. When the engine gets on the road you can add a cylinderhead temp gauge on each bank. Then you can begin to play with pulley sizes to see how much you can reduce fan speed with out the head temperatures go above their comfort zone at the cruise speed you desire. If you take the Porsche 912 generator pulleys into account you have 9 different ratioīs to play with, not counting power- dry sump and super cool pulleys in. Chosing the exact right pulley ratio for your engine and your driving pattern can easily reduce parasitic drag with 1-2 hp at cruise speed.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
KEGZ wrote:
oprn wrote:
KEGZ wrote:
Prius.. 'nuff said

Nope... TDI! Wink

Laughing

I second the holy TDI

The 1.0 L VW Lupo TDI was factory rated at 99 mpg but doesn't count as it never made it to our market. You would have to import one from Europe, Japan or Asia.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: stock mpg motor build counter-weighted crank or stock crank Reply with quote

Would tighter clearances not increase friction instead of reducing it? A new engine will not get optimum fuel mileage until well broken in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: