Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hard brake line to caliper - 1990 GLI
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: hard brake line to caliper - 1990 GLI Reply with quote

Howdy. I usually hang out in the air cooled forum, first time over here. Will see how this goes.
My bug is almost done, rolled the Jetta into the garage to try and fix a lot of issues and cut out the cancer rust. The hard lines on the car are severely corroded, years of driving on salt/brine Iowa roads in the winter have really messed this car up. I bought a kit and will replace all the hard lines front to back. Pulled the transmission out to do some clutch work, and while on my back noticed the rubber lines look pretty bad, will replace. What to do about these little hard lines that go to the caliper? Hoses I see advertised are male one end, female on the other, 180 mm (7.3 inches). Hoses on car measure 10 inches, and are female both ends. I can find these little hard lines nowhere, and I am afraid one twist and they are gonna snap. Do people just ditch them and go straight to the caliper?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: hard brake line to caliper - 1990 GLI Reply with quote

I imagine you'd have to make something like that. Either way start with plenty of penetrating oil and let soak for a while before you attempt to pull apart, then you can take the little metal pieces to an auto parts store and get the right fittings and metal line. The line is usually soft enough that you can shape it by hand, and if you are clever/picky enough you could mimic the same shape - maybe wrap the line around something like a big socket wrench or get the same shape??

Sometimes those fittings have been corroded enough that the hex has shrunken a little bit making it sloppy on the wrench. Use the tightest wrench you can. I've also had excellent luck with using a large crescent wrench and tightening the thumb screw as I wobble the wrench to get it as tight as possible, then loosen the nuts.

Good luck, hope you don't snap anything!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: hard brake line to caliper - 1990 GLI Reply with quote

You can make these from CuNiFe pipe about $1 per foot and $1 per fitting.

It might take a couple of tries yo get the bends right. Tape the fittings near the end before you bend as you csnt slide the fittings over bent pipe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: