Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghias on the Silver Screen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

How about the really, really bad horror film Warlock Moon starring Hill Street Blue's Joe Spano?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
How about the really, really bad horror film Warlock Moon starring Hill Street Blue's Joe Spano?

Looks like a decent 68

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

One of the recurring TV movies from the NBC Mystery Movies series in the 1970s was "McMillan and Wife", filmed in San Francisco, California. In this 1973 episode "No hearts, no flowers" season 2 ep. 5, we have a police stake-out scene from the police officer's view at the bottom of the dead-end:

Here's the view seen from the antagonist's perspective as he slowly comes down the hill:

The policeman spots the target's car, backs up and gives chase:

During the pursuit, there's yet another red Ghia parked:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

German film "Jack Mortimer" (1961), filmed in the Munich, Germany area: '60/'61 Coupe-

Lowlight Coupe with chrome fanfare horns and auxiliary lights-
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

From 2016:
Juan wrote:
J1 wrote:
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the "Ghia hunting history" thread but since it's not my find, I'll put it here Smile

Just discovered "Barn Find Hunter" on YouTube, a series produced by Hagerty. A lowlight AND a 356 in the same barn! At about 1:30...

Link

Btw, this host seems to really know his classic cars. There's a moment in this episode where he guesses a covered car correctly after the owner pretty much says he'd never get it right. I need to find me some barns. Oh wait, I need to find some money first!

I am HOOKED on this show. Thanks for sharing!

3 shots from the Ghia segment. Show host and car hunter Tom Cotter is in Leadville, Colorado which is at 10,100' (3078 m) elevation. His contact takes him to one of his small garages in town, where he has a white '57 Ghia Coupe stored next to a green '64 Porsche 356C. Owner mentioned that he bought the Ghia from the original owner, when he was still in high school.

Mr. Cotter is inspecting one of the original wheels.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Yellow Ghia Coupe, possibly 1966. TV show "Cannon" "Voice from the Grave" season 4 episode 3, 1974. Looks a lot like the same Ghia seen in several "Charlie's Angels" episodes from season 2 which I have in my gallery.

White ~'66 (?) Karmann Ghia Coupe, TV show "The Rockford Files" S2E4 "Gearjammers" part 2, 1975. Jim Rockford (James Garner) meets with his insurance agent Willie (Joe Tata) at the repair shop where his gold Firebird is being repaired.

IMDB lists the shop as being in Burbank California; GoogleMaps shows the same building at same location.

Ghia Coupe with two-toned paint, in background, TV show "Kojak" "A long way from Times Square" S3E12", 1975. Appears to be filmed in a small town in Southern California, possibly Piru which is near/west of Santa Clarita.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

Looks like a decent 68

Is it possibly an early 69?
The first half of model year 69 had the old style convertible top with the crank handle. Is there anything else that would ID it as a 68?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Is there anything else that would ID it as a 68?

Those seats with the built-in headrests give it away. They were a one-year-only item for the '68 model year.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Is there anything else that would ID it as a 68?

Those seats with the built-in headrests give it away. They were a one-year-only item for the '68 model year.

Oh yes, I totally missed the high seat back. Too obvious! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobdillingham wrote:
blue ghia outside the hotel in TWO LANE BLACKTOP

Recently slogged thru this clunker of a film. Good thing James Taylor and Dennis Wilson had music careers to fall back on...they were both worthless as actors Confused

I read that this movie's been elevated to some sort of minor-league cult status as the All-American road trip film. It has its moments...but overall, I thought it stunk d'oh!

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
jacobdillingham wrote:
blue ghia outside the hotel in TWO LANE BLACKTOP

Recently slogged thru this clunker of a film. Good thing James Taylor and Dennis Wilson had music careers to fall back on...they were both worthless as actors Confused

I read that this movie's been elevated to some sort of minor-league cult status as the All-American road trip film. It has its moments...but overall, I thought it stunk d'oh!

You had to see it back in the day. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You had to see it back in the day.

I did see it back in the day John, and yes, I thought it was great...sort of like Easy Rider, but with cars. Also thought that Taylor's Driver and Wilson's Mechanic characters were just so hip and cool Rolling Eyes Not surprising that this was the one & only film role that either of 'em ever had.
Watching it now with more seasoned eyes, it's abundantly clear that Warren Oats (GTO) was the only cast member with any real acting chops. Even Laurie Bird (The Girl) was awful, and she even claimed to be an actress at the time. The filmmakers initially approached Jack Nicholson and Bruce Dern for the Driver and Mechanic roles, but both wisely declined.

On a side note, one of the three '55 Chevys built especially for this film reappeared as the car driven by Harrison Ford's character in American Graffiti.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

TV shows: "The Streets of San Francisco"- '70/'71 Cabrio "The Stamp of Death" S2E6, 1973.

Same episode; Ghia Coupe just driving into the shot but more seen in the reflection-

"Adam-12" S4E2 "Million Dollar Buff" 1971. Main character Los Angeles police officer Pete Malloy (Martin Milner) at right.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Another restored film of San Francisco.
At least one Ghia in it just after the 1:00 mark or so.

Link

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

Very entertaining! There's another Ghia Coupe turning to the right @ 6:50: 2-toned! Cool

A rare Amphicar sighting, being actually driven on the road @ ~ 6:45. Dark red Porsche 356 Coupe at right @ 0:32. Mercedes pontoon and successor W111 tailfin sedans; so many Beetles already.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

Link

I watch a lot of these restored films by NASS and others. Late 50s and up to mid 70s films you see a ton of VW. I think I have seen 3 lowlights and many more Ghias, a boat load of Bugs including splits, and quite a few Busesssss.
Frisco is your best bet but I have seen quite a few in East Coast films.
I spotted the little red Amphicar the other night also. I lost count of the VWs in this particular film.
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
One of the recurring TV movies from the NBC Mystery Movies series in the 1970s was "McMillan and Wife", filmed in San Francisco, California. In this 1973 episode "No hearts, no flowers" season 2 ep. 5, we have a police stake-out scene from the police officer's view at the bottom of the dead-end:

Here's the view seen from the antagonist's perspective as he slowly comes down the hill:

Interesting shot. Back in the '80s I owned an off white split window bus with a camper conversion that had the same square pop-up top as the one on the left. (I had no intention of selling it, but half way through my last semester of school I was thinking I'll soon have time to start restoring it when 2 airmen from the local Air Force base saw it in the driveway and asked if I wanted to sell it. I said "No, not really," but one of them came back every few days increasing his offer until I couldn't justify saying "NO" any more.) Currently in the garage is a red '70 Ghia convertible like the one on the right.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Link

I watch a lot of these restored films by NASS and others. Late 50s and up to mid 70s films you see a ton of VW. I think I have seen 3 lowlights and many more Ghias, a boat load of Bugs including splits, and quite a few Busesssss.
Frisco is your best bet but I have seen quite a few in East Coast films.
I spotted the little red Amphicar the other night also. I lost count of the VWs in this particular film.

Here's the other Ghia in Trylon's referenced video:

Ghia Coupe "front and center" in movie "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" (1970), on a Los Angeles area freeway in traffic:
Light blue Type 3 in slow lane way back there. Smile
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

Ghia sightings in other "NASS" YouTube period travel videos as well as from people who simply posted vacation drives from their home movie cameras in the '60's and '70's. No narration in any, sometimes just the (dubbed in) sounds of typical city traffic.

"San Diego California Harbor Drive 1970's"-

'63 -'66 Coupe in Marina Del Rey, "Trip to Los Angeles and Universal Studios June 1969"-

Coupe on SoCal freeway fast lane, unfortunately partly blocked by black film spots "Evolution of Traffic (1890's ~ 2020's)", 1960's segment.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ghias on the Silver Screen Reply with quote

That film clip of San Francisco brought back a lot of memories, I was born and raised in SF and can remember many of the places on the film. I think I saw a 67 or 68 Mustang at one point so it must be about that year, I was a 16 year old know it all then...well thats what my Dad would say. Thanks for posting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 42

Jump to: