Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeezrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

Hi all!

Super green newbie here. Got a 76 bug from a field a few months ago and am starting to learn all the parts and pieces. Before we take out the engine to take it apart, I would love to identify all the engine and FI parts and pieces. I have found a TON of diagrams and labeled pictures of carb set ups, but have not found much on FI set ups.

Does anyone have a good picture or diagram (or reference) of the all the engine and FI parts and pieces labeled on an engine that is installed?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

Not bug specific, but the same system with a slightly different layout shown in some of these: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

unmolested stock like new 79 FI bug for reference
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

Now if someone were to add numbered arrows to that pic I could define what each number did, I'd do it myself but photo fiddling isn't my strong suit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

Hate to say this, but:

https://www2.cip1.com/acc-c10-9652/

Also, the Owner's Manual, which doesn't have many pertinent images but there are some.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/79bug.php

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leeezrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

What are the parts circled in yellow and blue, and what part is behind post at red arrow?

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

Red EGR
Blue Deceleration valve
Yellow Air Auxiliary Valve

Here is one I labeled a little while ago.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
leeezrd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

So I am a newbie - my son and I got this field 76 bug a few months ago as a project for him (and I) to learn about engines, cars, etc. We read how easy it is to work on a bug engine, etc. I still feel that is the case, but wondering now about the added complexity of FI. Is it possible to change it out for straight carb set up? Or is that not simple changeover?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Labeled Picture/diagram of Engine with FI? Reply with quote

The FI is less complex than a carb to tune, especially since most of the "new" carbs and related parts are made in Asia and suck (they challenge the pros to run right some times). To swap you'll need a whole new exhaust system, much of the cooling tin, intake manifolds, alternator stand and an electric fuel pump with a relay and regulator.

If you are just learning about cars stick with the FI, it is diagnosed with known values using simple tools like a volt/ohm meter and a basic fuel pressure gauge. It has well written manuals with trouble shooting charts and specifications. Carb tuning requires a trained ear and lots of guesswork, odds are good it'll never run as well, or make as much power as the FI unless you invest in some spendy guages and meters.

Once you replace all the flex hoses and rubber seals, and clean up the wire terminals and grounds it'll be good to go for another 40+ years of neglect.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: