Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn ring assembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

I took apart the steering wheel from my '66 to fix one of the M3.5 threads that got stripped. Would someone be willing to post a picture or write a description of how the screws, lock washers, springs and fiber washers go on both the front and the back of the wheel? The horn ring and the cancel ring.

Thanks. It's been 10 years since I took it apart.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

A Gallery search using the words 'horn ring' got this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope it helps,

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Does this help?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/bug_electrical_misc/electric_misc.cfm
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Yes! Thanks. Where do the lock washers go, under the springs?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

How about this one...:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
How about this one...:

Picture doesn't show up.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

No lock washers
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:

Picture doesn't show up.

It is hosted on a free open FTP server. It is NOT an https secure site, and if I was going to guess, your browser security settings block it. But this version of that image has been at that URL for just over 10 years now.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
glutamodo wrote:
How about this one...:

Picture doesn't show up.

Click on the little broken picture just to the left of the word "Image" - or at least that works for me...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

How do you hold all these little screws, washers and springs in place and position it all so you can get a screwdriver on it, before the springs fall off.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Very carefully.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Make sure your threads are good too. I was struggling to get my screws in and found that the threads were too far gone.

FWIW it is a M3.5 thread. Not standard and not easy to find a helicoil for. (ask me how i know...)

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

Yep. I had to buy the kit too. Not cheap. Likely to never use it again.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ring assembly Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
How do you hold all these little screws, washers and springs in place and position it all so you can get a screwdriver on it, before the springs fall off.

I use a drop of silicon glue/sealer to hold the contact plate to the steering wheel, then glue the plastic washers in place with a tiny drop of super glue. After that, the rest is easy. Be careful not to use so much you can't ever get it all apart.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: